ATI Straton LED Light - Comments, Review, PAR, Coverage, Discuss...

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Aquacave still has the old models available. Personally I don't experience much light spill with them, mounted about 20cm high. It's a very T5 style spread for sure.

Last edited:

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Aquacave still has the old models available. Personally I don't experience much light spill with them, mounted about 20cm high. It's a very T5 style spread for sure.
Same here, not much light spill, maybe in Europe light spill is a big concern due to the often minimalistic and stylish setups. They are great lights though, hope other manufacturers adopt large form factor panels.

flyingdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does someone know if the Ati straton Flex / Pro versions can be used in a closed top tank? Are they “waterproof” like AI Blade or CoralCare?

noblex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am planning a 60x50x50 cm (23x20x20 inches ) tank. SPS heavy.
I was tempted by the Straton for the sheer power and price point, how would you see it for this tank, compared with a GNC or a Radion?

Thank you!

cvicente

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was tempted by the Straton for the sheer power and price point, how would you see it for this tank, compared with a GNC or a Radion?

Thank you!
Well, considering that the GEN1 Straton has been discontinued I would go with the Radion X30 Pro just because of price. I'm a T5 fan and when I decided to switch to LED I went with 2 Stratons, light diffusion almost identical to the 8x54w Sunpower I used to run. The Straton Pro is one of the best lights ever developed for the hobby but dropping almost $2K for a single fixture is another story.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup running white channel at 70%. If I run the channel any higher corals start to look really washed out.
Never tried running whites so low on the whole fixture, but what is your PAR reading in a 60cm cube using the latest apogee? I would imagine ~3-400ish in the first 20cm, and around 200 or close at the sandbed. But given the size of your tank, if you wanted to use Straton without supplements you'll need to run everything at 100 or nearly so. There's only so much light you can get out of a ~220w fixture, also. Like I said earlier, I think they're perfect if you have one per 60cm cubic space especially if you want to dial down the whites some.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
If you can find a gen 1 straton it would be perfect for that size tank. Gen 2 would be overkill.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people always describe full spectrum as "washed out"? It is the opposite. You can see all the colors, not just fluorescence. When the glow gets turned down a little the pinks, purples, and blues get turned up. Your fish look 100 times better. It takes a little getting used to if you are accustomed to the glow, but it grows on you.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people always describe full spectrum as "washed out"? It is the opposite. You can see all the colors, not just fluorescence. When the glow gets turned down a little the pinks, purples, and blues get turned up. Your fish look 100 times better. It takes a little getting used to if you are accustomed to the glow, but it grows on you.
Actually, there is a bit of a catch to this.
Cheap whites (err low CRI or R(f)) can dull colors.
This applies especially to high K whites that just have the yellow phosphor to "make" white.

At the current cost of many fixtures they can afford to put quality whites in there not just the generic 70cri el cheepos. even if not technically cheap (like 70cri CREES ect.)
But the "culture" doesn't really recognise the advantage.

It's not the "full spectrum" thing but the whats missing or in excess in that full spectrum.
You can fix it a bit by boosting the red/green/ or possibly cyan to compensate but I assume most either can't or don't do that.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been VERY happy with SPS growth and color with my gen 1 straton. Plenty of power, looks elegant and wall to wall coverage on a 24” tank. I upgraded to a reefer 200 that I’m testing a reefled 90 on.

But as my SPS fill in, I’m probably going to have to put the Straton on it. I have a weakness for glitter lines which the reefled fulfills.

Straton build quality is second to none! Like a Ferrari. Imo, better color rendition than the radions. As blue as you want or as white as you want.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, there is a bit of a catch to this.
Cheap whites (err low CRI or R(f)) can dull colors.
This applies especially to high K whites that just have the yellow phosphor to "make" white.

At the current cost of many fixtures they can afford to put quality whites in there not just the generic 70cri el cheepos. even if not technically cheap (like 70cri CREES ect.)
But the "culture" doesn't really recognise the advantage.

It's not the "full spectrum" thing but the whats missing or in excess in that full spectrum.
You can fix it a bit by boosting the red/green/ or possibly cyan to compensate but I assume most either can't or don't do that.
Forgive my ignorance, @oreo54, but can you help me understand, what would be the “benefit” of boosting red/green/cyan on a heavy-white light like the Straton?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been VERY happy with SPS growth and color with my gen 1 straton. Plenty of power, looks elegant and wall to wall coverage on a 24” tank. I upgraded to a reefer 200 that I’m testing a reefled 90 on.

But as my SPS fill in, I’m probably going to have to put the Straton on it. I have a weakness for glitter lines which the reefled fulfills.

Straton build quality is second to none! Like a Ferrari. Imo, better color rendition than the radions. As blue as you want or as white as you want.
Are you running one of the stock programs? If not would you be willing to share a screen shot of your program?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my ignorance, @oreo54, but can you help me understand, what would be the “benefit” of boosting red/green/cyan on a heavy-white light like the Straton?
Color enhancement. Also corrects, in part, the deficiencies in some whites.
Increase the cri mostly.
This is a general statement. I don't know the quality of the whites on the ATI .

Skipping whites all together and using RGB to create it the tank would see a much "punchier" look than the blue/yellow whites produce.

Of course everything is dependent on the taste and opinions of the viewer.

Psychologically the blue/yellow " white" vs say blue/green/red "white" is viewed more favorably by observers.

And if one pushes red to make it like a tad pink tone, even moreso.

Now this more in regards to architecture lighting but the concept applies to a whiter tank.

Suppose I could add that one really could dim the whites as you increase the amount of red/green.

As an example think about early LEDs that used just blue/ high k white.
Now compare the look to say this tube:
Screenshot_20231213-154541.png

Side by side few would prefer the led even if the whiteness was equivalent

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the radion and now the Straton,I not agree the radion have a better pop that the straton,the color is more pleasant,straton lacks of pop even all blue to 100%.they have a good spread but color is not pleasant ,I added the reef led in between that it looks better.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A visual on how to make a white with a sad cri of 68 into something "better"
Slight change in color temp. Thing is the "lagoon aqua" color isn't to every-ones taste.
The amount of cyan would also probably be an err "acquired taste"..
I looked at the straton led compliment and sort of fortunately, no green leds.

12000ktohighcri.JPG

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does someone know if the Ati straton Flex / Pro versions can be used in a closed top tank? Are they “waterproof” like AI Blade or CoralCare?

I am not sure what you mean by a "closed top tank" nor why this would be impacted by waterproofing? We do not have the Straton Flex in North America so I am not aware of the particulars, but nothing has been said about it being waterproof. Long story short Id vote keeping all lights out of the tank :)

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you mean by a "closed top tank" nor why this would be impacted by waterproofing? We do not have the Straton Flex in North America so I am not aware of the particulars, but nothing has been said about it being waterproof. Long story short Id vote keeping all lights out of the tank :)
I think he means a canopy? Like, in my experience a canopy or a hooded tank significantly cuts down evaporation, meaning that you’re creating a pocket of extra humid air that the light source is sitting in.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back