ATO stuck on. . .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Woke up to find my sump full to the brim (miracle it didn’t overflow) and my ATO reservoir empty. I cleaned and tested my ATO and the electronic float valve seems to be working fine. . . now. . . The pump was bound up, I assume from running dry all night, but after some elbow grease and cleaning it’s running again. I tested the whole thing and again it seems to be working. . . I kinda suspect a limpet jammed itself i the float valve mech but could also have been the weight of the sponges growing on the float?

In total I dumped about 2.5 gallons of RODI water into my 45 gallon system. Looks like I dropped the salinity by 0.002.

Corrals are not looking super happy but no deaths as of yet. I drained the excess water off then added an extra gallon of regular saltwater (so I will have evaporation and salt accumulation without triggering the ATO) and will do this again once the first gallon has evaporated. . .

Just wanted to share cause it was scary. . .

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my ato siphon into my 90 about 10 gallons and the corals and fish did not care one bit. Just drained the excess water and turned the ato off for a few days and kept toping off with saltwater.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ATO on my Hydros and it has never over filled but there are a few safeguards just in case. It has a over full sensor that will stop the pump. Also it will only run for a given amount of time each time before turning off. There is also a leak detector that will stop the ATO from running. Also the top off is dispensed into the overflow which is a higher level than the RODI reservoir in the garage is. So no way to siphoned. Also I use a dosing pump since the DI reservoir is 35ft from the tank and the tubing is run through the attic to the tank.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested here are the settings for the ATO output. It uses 5 inputs and all have to be in the active state setup in the output for the output to turn on since I use the AND combiner mode. The maximum and minimum settings are in the last screen shot under advanced settings. I have run past max on time set to off so it will only run up to the maximum on time and then stop. I also have the notification level set to orange so the collective will send a orange level alert. It will also send an orange level alert if the maximum off time is exceeded but it will not turn on the output. I have the depends on setting set to an output ATO OK and the dependency mode set to off if off. So if the ATO OK output is off the ATO output will not come on. That output is used to stop the ATO during a AWC that is done using my Hydros Minnow and a dosing schedule. The ATO pump is a dosing pump also and has a flow rate of 43ml a minute. It took three screenshots to get all the output settings but the app lets you scroll through them when setting the output up.

IMG_0937.png

IMG_0938.png

IMG_0939.png

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back