Automatic fish feeder

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got an automatic feeder. My first time trying one out. Problem is when I took it for a test run, everything just floats before quickly getting sucked into the overflow. I have a coast to coast overflow and the surface skimming is serious. Which is pretty awesome in that aspect I guess.

I tried flakes and the tiny spectrum brand pellets. Same thing. So I went out and got the slightly larger 1mm pellets. I'd say about 50% sink and the rest float, however the half that sinks my fish don't eat because those size pellets are too big for their mouths. What do you guys do? Or is this why a lot of people are anti auto feeders.

I know atleast one person will say this so let me get it out of the way lol, I know it's not ideal to use an automatic feeder because you can't tell how much food is being eaten and there's more food waste going in. However I work in aviation and work long hours 4 days a week so I don't have time to properly turn off my return pump and feed correctly. I get a few hours of sleep, throw in some food, and I'm out the door! Which is why I planned accordingly and got bigger than needed skimmer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back