Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut up and take my money.

....seriously, this is vey cool and I think is the "next step" for aquarium automation, very interested in seeing how this plays out.
Exactly.
If this plays well and can deliver, the price is more than the value of the entire aquarium and my time to me.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is an occasional outlier, as can be seen in the diurnal swing graph. It uses a reagent, and if the reagent runs out, then that currently causes the output to show a false large sudden alk spike, but these issues can be handled with better anomaly detection algorithms in the software. Once broken in, which takes just a day or two, there is virtually no drift. Reagent aging might cause some drift, but I actually have a solution to greatly minimize that issue that I just haven't implemented yet. There is a calibration procedure that can be run any time. With calibration, the unit is basically as accurate as the calibration standards are.

And it doses solution too. What does it dose? Thanks for your work on this. Pretty awesome !!

BOMPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do the same. I test my alkalinity at least every other day with 2 different tests.
I as well would be happy to help by sending funds and help test this. As a software programmer,that sort of thing is right in my wheelhouse! ;)

I'm so sick of wondering if my test kit(s) are really accurate, given that none of them ever give the same friggin number[emoji35]

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be ur Steve jobs mr wascowski

danny_m1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you patent this fast, using kalkwasser makes this a long time wish.

Last edited:

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in, definitely would beta test of you need them. I travel a lot and this gives me more ability to track the system while on the road

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm interested as we'll
Great looking stuff but why so many tubes ( looking like coming out of the device)

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an occasional outlier, as can be seen in the diurnal swing graph. It uses a reagent, and if the reagent runs out, then that currently causes the output to show a false large sudden alk spike, but these issues can be handled with better anomaly detection algorithms in the software. Once broken in, which takes just a day or two, there is virtually no drift. Reagent aging might cause some drift, but I actually have a solution to greatly minimize that issue that I just haven't implemented yet. There is a calibration procedure that can be run any time. With calibration, the unit is basically as accurate as the calibration standards are.
Cool idea, very innovative.

If I'm reading this right, your system is basically an automated reagent based alkalinity test? If that's the case, I imagine you would need to periodically refill the reagent container and periodically empty some kind of "old test" reservoir? If so, have you provided some way to adjust the test frequency (i.e. someone with a newer tank could test more frequently while someone with a more stable tank less frequently)? What sort of maintenance would the system require (periodic sensor cleaning and the like)?

No doubt a cool idea... just from a consumer standpoint I personally look at how many points of failure a product may have, safety and redundancy if it is critical to life support, and the kind of maintenance that is needed to keep it operating. And if it is something that needs consumables, like reagent, then what is the annual cost to operate it?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 105 75.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 16 11.5%
Back