Automatic, regular, unattended alkalinity monitoring

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude... this is epic. Program it to tie in with a dosing pump and BINGO! Every novice reefer can provide instant stability of one of the most important and sensitive parameters we test and dose. I'm sure you would not have gone public if this wasn't happening for real. Congrats man! I'm looking forward to seeing your innovation change our reefing lives and the life of your family. This is exciting!

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to comment on this to the creator ..... make sure you do everything you need to do to protect your idea before releasing any units. If this really works it will be very valuable and someone would steal it from you if you don't have the product registered and have patents pending on the software/technology.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copyright it, patent it, register it, have it all in place before selling any because if someone got it they could do the same and sue you if you try to sell afterwards.
I would like to comment on this to the creator ..... make sure you do everything you need to do to protect your idea before releasing any units. If this really works it will be very valuable and someone would steal it from you if you don't have the product registered and have patents pending on the software/technology.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pertinent would be have all that in place before saying anything about how it works here...
Exactly, day late dollar short but hopefully still some time in the case that he didn't take those steps.

Last edited:

waldend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having met Jim and knowing him from the fish breeding world he is extremely intelligent and I would feel absolutely confident that all the recommendations given above and even more have already been researched and addressed long before ever thinking of mentioning his device to anyone. :)

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but it's a worthy mention none the less, and just incase because I heard plenty of horror stories. I think this is still very awesome, just trying to help out.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It's good lesson for others reading too. Just thought I would help to alleviate some of the concern about Jim specifically.
Yes more or less I intended the message for not only him but for others to think about as well in this situation. I'm more then sure the person who could foster such a intuitive idea that other companies haven't yet thought of is certainly a intelligent and well prepared person.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you attending MACNA this coming weekend, keep an eye out for me demonstrating a prototype of my Alkalinity Monitor device. It is capable of interfacing with any controller that can accept a pH probe's input. It has both an accuracy and also a precision of +/- 0.05 dKH. I'm thinking this could be a game changer.

Here is an Apex graph of two day's worth of monitoring of my tank, showing a small daily alk swing in response to the photoperiod:

Diurnal%20Alkalinity%20Swing%20-%20Two%20Full%20Days_zpsbunbn6zk.png
I would like to be a beta tester too.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spend your money on releasing it now. It will be copied, the design will change, it will count as an improvement, no court case.

Otherwise sign me up, I'll buy one. :)

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing.
It is basically an automated colorimeter, which IMO is the right way to do it.
There is an alk monitor being done in Asian that works based on measuring pH drop after dosing an acid to the sample, which IMO just adds too much room for mistakes.

If you allow me to suggest a feature, is to spit the results via USB or I2C(aqua is on the apex).
This way there is no need to use the controller's pH port, which is expensive hardware and also anyone can use a computer or micro computer to read it.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very successful demo today!

Here's a video:

Afterwards Reefbuilders and Reefs.com and various media sources all wanted to interview and talk to Mr. Welsh on camera. There's a lot of excitement about this awesome product.

I can't see the video

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back