Bacteria bloom/cloudy water will NOT go away

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe while figuring it out, Do nano bubble scrubbing? Just for the sake of increasing dissolved oxygen. If doesnt help, spent $3 on a wooden air stone.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe while figuring it out, Do nano bubble scrubbing? Just for the sake of increasing dissolved oxygen. If doesnt help, spent $3 on a wooden air stone.
I’ve got a nice air stone already, I bought a UV I hope it works, and comes quickly.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UV Sterilizer. My mom had the same issue in a 55 gallon freshwater tank, out of nowhere the tank started getting foggy looking and would seem to get worse and worse every single day even after daily water changes and filter pad replacements etc. Put a UV Sterilizer in and within a day 90% gone

Bucks149

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be way off base, but with all of the sterilization and cleaning, is it possible that you have set the tank back to day one and it’s just going through another cycle? Pull the fish and let the bloom run its course then place them back in slowly so that the tank can readjust to the bio load

FLAdaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bloom that left sludge everywhere. I started with a significant water change, but not 100%. From there I ran carbon and changed filter socks every couple of hours. Due to my skimmer going crazy, I turned it down a bit. Water change again at 20% and changed out carbon. Water cleared up and I returned to normal business.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that started with mature tank. It's a QT tank, so minimal equipment. Just heat, Airstone, powerhead, and marineland HOB filter (no carbon, when running medications, just media to hold beneficial bacteria). This type of bacteria we are dealing with is not the type you deal with on a cycle. It literally wrecks the whole tank in 3 days once it shows up. Like I'm talking you can't see an inch into it. Craziness

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind that he has absolutely identical setup 10' away, same Everything as far as equip. It remains clear. We thought we had it nailed down to copper. Due to tank next to it remaining clear. (Copper is still possible culprit, just unexplainable as to why when copper was removed the bacteria wasn't.)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that started with mature tank. It's a QT tank, so minimal equipment. Just heat, Airstone, powerhead, and marineland HOB filter (no carbon, when running medications, just media to hold beneficial bacteria). This type of bacteria we are dealing with is not the type you deal with on a cycle. It literally wrecks the whole tank in 3 days once it shows up. Like I'm talking you can't see an inch into it. Craziness

Also keep in mind that he has absolutely identical setup 10' away, same Everything as far as equip. It remains clear. We thought we had it nailed down to copper. Due to tank next to it remaining clear. (Copper is still possible culprit, just unexplainable as to why when copper was removed the bacteria wasn't.)

What he said! Thanks man! Haha

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: over the past several days it has not worsened, it may have even receded. I turned the lights off the first day after feeding, and then used only actinics/blues since. It’s steadily improving and never worsened dangerously. Still waiting on the UV to arrive so I can run it 48 hours before adding copper to this new batch of qt fish.

Thanks everyone!

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: over the past several days it has not worsened, it may have even receded. I turned the lights off the first day after feeding, and then used only actinics/blues since. It’s steadily improving and never worsened dangerously. Still waiting on the UV to arrive so I can run it 48 hours before adding copper to this new batch of qt fish.

Thanks everyone!

Can we get another update? Did the UV solve the problem? Any further considerations?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts exactly.
Which sterilizer did you end up using? The one in the prior post in this thread or something else?

Also, have you turned off the UV/Sterilizer? If so, has the bloom returned? I am having the same issues, but if I end up running the UV/Sterilizer, I don't want to run it for long. I think that I've overdosed zeo to get to this point. I've tapered off significantly and I'll dial it back in, but zeo and UV aren't supposed to be compatible long term. I could just wait it out, of course.

Thanks for all your insight. I knew mine to be a bacterial bloom from the get go. I just can't decide on how patient I can be with it since it's been over a week of very cloudy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which sterilizer did you end up using? The one in the prior post in this thread or something else?

Also, have you turned off the UV/Sterilizer? If so, has the bloom returned? I am having the same issues, but if I end up running the UV/Sterilizer, I don't want to run it for long. I think that I've overdosed zeo to get to this point. I've tapered off significantly and I'll dial it back in, but zeo and UV aren't supposed to be compatible long term. I could just wait it out, of course.

Thanks for all your insight. I knew mine to be a bacterial bloom from the get go. I just can't decide on how patient I can be with it since it's been over a week of very cloudy.
I used the cheapo on amazon in this thread. It doesn’t come with a pump or hose, but I had all that on hand. I ran it for 4 days, it stayed away! :)

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird I never had this issue on any of my qt in the past but now recently i'm having the same exact issue.
I have a 4"-5 regal angel in a 10g tank with CP and within less then 24 hours the water looks milky and has a foul odor to it so now I'm resorted to doing TTM (every 48 hours) and CP which seems like a waste just to keep the water clear. so what is the solution to this issue? Can't use a UV since it will cancel out the CP or any other meds that I might want to use. Weird, 8 years of doing qt and never ran into this before until @4FordFamily jinxed it with this thread LOL

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird I never had this issue on any of my qt in the past but now recently i'm having the same exact issue.
I have a 4"-5 regal angel in a 10g tank with CP and within less then 24 hours the water looks milky and has a foul odor to it so now I'm resorted to doing TTM (every 48 hours) and CP which seems like a waste just to keep the water clear. so what is the solution to this issue? Can't use a UV since it will cancel out the CP or any other meds that I might want to use. Weird, 8 years of doing qt and never ran into this before until @4FordFamily jinxed it with this thread LOL
Are you using instant ocean?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back