Bacterial Driven System: A Recipe for Success.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent write up. I just started vodka dosing a few months ago - I hesitated for years because I have undetectable nutrient levels, but algae nonetheless. I finally did it and not only is my algae entirely gone, but my corals are obviously benefiting. I actually don't pull much skimmate, probably because my nutrients were so low to begin with. I wish I'd done it years ago, your write up might have convinced me!

I definitely agree with the care required in the beginning. As we all know, nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. I settled on about half a ml per day of vodka (highly diluted) for a 55 gallon system and the results are honestly mind-blowing.

This is what I was looking for. A recent ICP test I sent off because of a severe GHA issue I've been having turned up near undetectable nutrients and absolutely no reason why my tank is full of GHA. Everything is in line, no polutants and only a few trace elements like iodine and bromine were low. The two SPS frags I have in the tank are turning pale and not looking good at all.

I'll be ordering some of this Tropic Marin stuff and start carbon dosing.

brianxcheng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi SunnyX

After read through all page, I m struggling to replace my start3(0.5ml day n night) to NP bacto balance.
As my currently situation both NP went to zero refer from my Hanna checker, n I’m try to feed a more my coral n fish (Mysis & Roids) to let my NP to detectable range to make myself more comfortable. But result it only Po4 raise n allergy growth. No3 remain 0. Would you give me some advice. Thank

120G reef tank KZ system

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if this method works better if used soon after start up vs starting on a tank already established? Just my anecdotal experience. I started a tank in February 2023 using bottled bac dry rock and bare bottom. I used fritz 900 and I did add a tray of established rock rubble to the sump. The cycle was almost instant and a month or so later I started dosing bacto balance and MB7. Tank is looking great and I have had very little nuisance algae / bacteria. I have another tank that was already running and had bad cyano after using flux for gha. Around the same time I started dosing the same in that tank and it has been a struggle. Still gha though it is waning and some cyano still appearing. Nothing terrible but also nothing awesome happening either. Maybe it just takes longer to work in a tank that already has issues I suppose. I'll definately be using this method on my next build.

lpramos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find it now, but someone mentioned mixing Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride to make their own Calcium Carbonate (on this thread or another). If I remember correctly, they said they could make smaller Calcium Carbonate particles than the commercial products, and smaller particles flocculate better. I also think that this would be very convenient, since many of us have the two components handy for two-part dosing. I also think the purity would be better, if you believe the BRS pharma grade marketing and since we don't have a clue what stabilizers, preservatives, waste, byproduct or impurities are in the commercial products. Does anyone have any real knowledge or experience to share on this?

I called BRS to ask what ratio of Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride I should mix. They confirmed that this is doable but couldn't tell me the ratio. Does anyone know what ratio (by weight)?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to give this a go and was wondering if i have high no3 around 18 and po4 pretty much zero would i go with the plus np ?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sunny
Wonderful write-up…so content rich.

Question….you mentioned using NP-Bacto which I just bought. Unfortunately, there is no instructions on how much I should dose daily. Do you have some guidelines on dosing amount. My tank is ~355 gallons. Thank you.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sunny

Question….you mentioned using NP-Bacto which I just bought. Unfortunately, there is no instructions on how much I should dose daily. Do you have some guidelines on dosing amount. My tank is ~355 gallons. Thank you.
Depending on your no3 and po4 and bioload it’s hard to say.. you wanna get them down to where you like them start with like 4ml a day and work it up.. my tank is close to yours overall and I’m running about 6ml daily or I get a bacteria bloom and cloudy water.

DaveC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sunny

According to BRS:

Dosing Recommendations - Dosing depends on the age of the aquarium

• In the case of new and young tanks (0-1 years old*) no more than 0.25 ml per 100 l /25 US-Gal. tank content should be added per day.
  • In tanks of a medium age (1-2 years old*) up to 0.5 ml per 100 l /25 US-Gal. can be dosed per day
  • In mature tanks (>2 years old*) can receive from 0.5 to 1 ml for 100 l /25 US-Gal. aquarium water per day.
  • For best results, add Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance to a high water flow area in the tank at the beginning of the lighting cycle.
  • Dosage may be adjusted every 2 weeks by .25 mL per 100 liters/25 US-Gal, after testing nitrate and phosphate
Maximum Dose - A dosage of 1 ml per 100 l /25 US-Gal. tank content per day should not be exceeded under any circumstances. If a clouding of the tank is observed after the elevation of the dosage of NP-BACTO-BALANCE, the dosage should be reduced to the previous level.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to BRS:

Dosing Recommendations - Dosing depends on the age of the aquarium

• In the case of new and young tanks (0-1 years old*) no more than 0.25 ml per 100 l /25 US-Gal. tank content should be added per day.
  • In tanks of a medium age (1-2 years old*) up to 0.5 ml per 100 l /25 US-Gal. can be dosed per day
  • In mature tanks (>2 years old*) can receive from 0.5 to 1 ml for 100 l /25 US-Gal. aquarium water per day.
  • For best results, add Tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance to a high water flow area in the tank at the beginning of the lighting cycle.
  • Dosage may be adjusted every 2 weeks by .25 mL per 100 liters/25 US-Gal, after testing nitrate and phosphate
Maximum Dose - A dosage of 1 ml per 100 l /25 US-Gal. tank content per day should not be exceeded under any circumstances. If a clouding of the tank is observed after the elevation of the dosage of NP-BACTO-BALANCE, the dosage should be reduced to the previous level.
Perfect instructions - thanks. For some strange reason, my NP Bacto came in a pump bottle. Is this normal?

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been shown dozing carbon in the form of carbohydrates is not reef safe. A simple question. How much carbon, in the form of a carbohydrate, may be added daily and what parameter is used to determine a safe dose, knowing fast growing bacteria do not use nitrate-nitrogen for growth but ammonia-nitrogen? All the above can be avoided because nitrate production depends on the C:N ratio of the feed, this if the 3 pillars of the carrying capacity are maintained. Good nitrate management starts with the protein content of food added not with adding bacteria which already should be present. Each organism introduced carries its own holobiont of bacteria. What bacteria can be added which not have been introduced? Once bacteria are present they grow if the circumstances are good for them. Once present one can not introduce them a second time. Or something is very wrong.
if questions can not be answered and it is unknown what exactly is in the bottles , then it is considered not to be reef safe .
All aquaria and live support systems are bacterial driven. And it will cost you nothing. They come for free.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if questions can not be answered and it is unknown what exactly is in the bottles , then it is considered not to be reef safe .
All aquaria and live support systems are bacterial driven. And it will cost you nothing. They come for free.
Nope, not reef safe for your tank but I’ll keep using it in my tank as I’ve seen incredible results… lol

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not reef safe for your tank but I’ll keep using it in my tank as I’ve seen incredible results… lol

Likewise. Using NP and ZeoBak as well. Only thing I’m wondering is if I needed to get the zeolites and reactor at all. Are you using those? I feel like I may have wasted money on that part

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise. Using NP and ZeoBak as well. Only thing I’m wondering is if I needed to get the zeolites and reactor at all. Are you using those? I feel like I may have wasted money on that part
I sure am! It took awhile to kick in on my system but I think it’s because I would miss a day here or there dosing.. I have it all automated now and change my stones out every 6-8 weeks.. I’m running half of what my tank reccomends “zeolites” per sunny x recommendation…

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals and sponges can directly consume acetate (from vinegar), which is another perceived benefit of selecting vinegar as the carbon source:
Thanks for the article link. I started adding vinegar to kalkwasser recently partly influenced by Sunny's carbon dosing success and partly from listening to Dr. Bingham's talks. Craig Bingham mentioned that corals directly take up acetate. I have carbon dosed some systems via TLF Biopellets for the last 15 years but recently have been toying with the vinegar/ kalkwasser recipe. The main thing I have noticed is a thickening of the Acropora tissue, deepened color, and more polyp extension. I am curious how much of this is coral consumption of bacteria and how much is direct consumption of the acetate. Interesting stuff!

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article link. I started adding vinegar to kalkwasser recently partly influenced by Sunny's carbon dosing success and partly from listening to Dr. Bingham's talks. Craig Bingham mentioned that corals directly take up acetate. I have carbon dosed some systems via TLF Biopellets for the last 15 years but recently have been toying with the vinegar/ kalkwasser recipe. The main thing I have noticed is a thickening of the Acropora tissue, deepened color, and more polyp extension. I am curious how much of this is coral consumption of bacteria and how much is direct consumption of the acetate. Interesting stuff!
Is there acetate in vodka dosing too ?

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure am! It took awhile to kick in on my system but I think it’s because I would miss a day here or there dosing.. I have it all automated now and change my stones out every 6-8 weeks.. I’m running half of what my tank reccomends “zeolites” per sunny x recommendation…
When you pump your stones do you get a milky haze in the tank? I don’t but I was under the assumption I was supposed to

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back