Bacto Reef Balls are back in-stock!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Currently waiting on my delivery. Looking forward to trying this.
Hi. I added 4 balls to my sump last week, tanks is 150 gallon so started with a smaller dose as recommended. I added last Saturday and a week has gone and the balls have shrunk considerably, almost gone. Is this a good or bad sign that they have been used so quickly. And should I move to 6 now which is the recommended amount for my tank size?
Thanks

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up to 12 balls in my 120 display and can go up to a total of 15 I think it was. If your phosphate is good than you are fine otherwise you can add to your current dose.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would like to know is it safe to dose Hydrogen Peroxide while using Bakto Reef Balls?

I dosed 70ml's and noticed an abundance of bacteria swimming around. So I quickly removed the balls from my sump. As it looked like my fish were being irritated from the overload of bacteria.

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would like to know is it safe to dose Hydrogen Peroxide while using Bakto Reef Balls?

I dosed 70ml's and noticed an abundance of bacteria swimming around. So I quickly removed the balls from my sump. As it looked like my fish were being irritated from the overload of bacteria.

Yes, it is safe to use with BRB.

bwoodward0012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would/could this be an alternative to dosing NoPox daily?

I would think you could use it in conjunction. Obviously I would take the manufacturers recomendation over mine, but these appear to be just a bacterial source and not a carbon source, where as NoPox is strictly a carbon source to enable bacteria to uptake more nutrients, therefore I would assume you could use them together. I plan to start using them soon (I have them, I just need to figure out how I want to employ them) and I already dose NoPox daily and plan to continue doing so.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this stuff need to be replaced every 2wks?
I have 3 balls in my sump, they've shrunk but have been the same size for a week now. I have them in for about a month.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is safe to use with BRB.

I also have seen little "shrinkage" after a month. The four are stuck at about 25% of original size in my 50. Can I add more or swap out? I'm feeding a lot and noticing an increase in PHO (but NO is at 2).

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2-3 weeks, the balls should be replaced regardless of their current size. The balls do not dissolve 100%. Having 25% of the original size remaining is normal. During the swap, remove the old balls and add the new batch.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using ZEOvit. My nitrates are good, <10ppm. My phosphate is another story. It's between .11ppm and .22ppm depending on the test (Hanna checker versus Hach DR890). Both devices have been tested with a standard solution and are within range. Will these work effectively with ZEOvit?

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2-3 weeks, the balls should be replaced regardless of their current size. The balls do not dissolve 100%. Having 25% of the original size remaining is normal. During the swap, remove the old balls and add the new batch.

As a heads up you should update your packaging and instructions not very clear this is how it is supposed to work. Happy with the product will update after I swap out every three weeks.

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BigHildy53 BRB will certainly help reduce your NO3 and PO4 levels. Using our product in conjunction with ZEOvit is not a problem.

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@domination2580 That product is a bacteria-based product which may overlap dosages and cause too strong of a reduction. If you get tired of daily dosages, BRB only needs to be added every 2 weeks. ;)

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scoopsthedog The full set of guidelines and instructions can be found here:

http://cm-distributors.com/brands/fauna-marin/product-manuals/

We certainly can't fit all this info onto a small bottle. :)

It's a little confusing as the first thing says they are designed to completely dissolve and the next says to replace every 14 days. so the inference could be it is supposed to dissolve in 14 days. All good I will start to swap out and see how my levels respond.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little confusing as the first thing says they are designed to completely dissolve and the next says to replace every 14 days. so the inference could be it is supposed to dissolve in 14 days. All good I will start to swap out and see how my levels respond.

Yeah I didn't know either, I left mines in pretty long thinking they would dissolve. But now I know to replace every 2wks.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I have questions for the rep. I bought these about when this thread was last active. I noticed the balls were orange not clear but didn't worry too much about it. I noticed in the first two months crystal clear water, but the effects if contributed to the bacto balls was short lived. I was told they have a shelf life of six months so I ordered a new bottle. First question, it's freezing here and the balls were out doors. They did get very cold. Secondly, the balls are clear, not orange. Third, there is not expiry date at all anywhere, for all I know these are dead already. Last but not least my other bottle had a paper seal, this had none.

I choose this product for the ease of it, but at $18.99 for 100mL with NOTHING telling me their life, I will not be buying again. Unless rep wants to chime in. To be honest I am afraid to use these things and I am thinking of a refund.

OP
OP
Fauna Marin

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I have questions for the rep. I bought these about when this thread was last active. I noticed the balls were orange not clear but didn't worry too much about it. I noticed in the first two months crystal clear water, but the effects if contributed to the bacto balls was short lived. I was told they have a shelf life of six months so I ordered a new bottle. First question, it's freezing here and the balls were out doors. They did get very cold. Secondly, the balls are clear, not orange. Third, there is not expiry date at all anywhere, for all I know these are dead already. Last but not least my other bottle had a paper seal, this had none.

I choose this product for the ease of it, but at $18.99 for 100mL with NOTHING telling me their life, I will not be buying again. Unless rep wants to chime in. To be honest I am afraid to use these things and I am thinking of a refund.

@Devisissy
Please read our how to use guide. Information on proper usage and shelf life are mentioned in the document.
faunamarin.de/en/download-center/

Initial batches were orange, but are now clear as you can see. As long as the inside of the container is still moist, the product is still good to use. Receiving it frozen is not a problem as long as you allowed it to naturally go back to room temperature.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Document says a year, you say as long as moist. Which one? Ok so how do I know when it's been a year. No expiry date? How do I know they haven't been opened before since there is no seal? I think this is all pretty hokey.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back