Bandit Angelfish Lifespan

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read mixed feedback on the lifespan of this species. How long is the lifespan for the bandit angelfish in captivity, any personal or factual experiences on the matter?

Wrassefan78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read mixed feedback on the lifespan of this species. How long is the lifespan for the bandit angelfish in captivity, any personal or factual experiences on the matter?

Are we talking captive bred or wild caught? Generally speaking with bandits, cooler water increases their life expectancy as does their diet.

Great thread on bandit angels.

OP
OP
LAReefer4Life

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wrassefan78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught. My tank runs 80 degrees. Why does cooler water expand life expectancy is this same for many wrasse? Just curious

For the same reason a polar bear wouldn’t survive in the desert. It’s not its natural habitat. Most of the bandits that I’ve seen collected come from pretty deep water off the shores or Kauai. The water down there is in the lower 70’s . Could be a specific food (sponge) they eat down there or warmer water opens them up to more diseases. These are just a guess because I don’t know scientifically. I do know that most people that have kept bandits alive for a long time have them in colder water. Hope this helps a little. However, in my opinion 80 degrees is much too warm for long term success.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught. My tank runs 80 degrees. Why does cooler water expand life expectancy is this same for many wrasse? Just curious
Yes, some of our rare wrasses come from cooler water, the Lenneradi is just one that prefers cooler waters.
The other wrasses however (Fairies, Flashers, Pink Streaks ect) they don’t come from cooler water but have short lifespans anyway. The reason for this is because they don’t actually have a job on the reef that isn’t to breed and die to keep other species that are more of a need to the reefs alive.
And it doesn’t help when we buy mature male specimens of them. Males have lived their whole life already so when we get them and put them in captivity just to have them die, they won’t usually make it past 2 years. It’s why every wrasse lover aims for juveniles or very young mature female specimens of any wrasse.

Pseudojuloides are a genus that’s not really researched however I believe some of those guys come from cooler waters and are more temperate species that tank to die in captivity due to more diseases. In cold water, diseases are much more likely to thrive as they’re in the optimum conditions. However in cold water these diseases are less likely to thrive. And it’s the same with their food sources.

All this is the same for most other Cold Water species. And also the bandits which I don’t believe you can get captive bred as there was one breeder who isn’t seemingly breeding them anymore. So due to them being unavailable in captivity and in the wild it’ll likely be a few years before we even see one reappear.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lifespan often are dependent on Age of fish at acquisition, tank health, diet, fish health and stress levels

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones direct from Hawaii have had long lifespans. Many of the specimens that went through LA and the wholesale route did not seem to live as long. I did not treat mine with any type of copper or prazi, but I did a quick FW dip for flukes. This was on the advice of the collector.

They are somewhat of a deeper species, so I would not let them get much above 78 degrees.

I got one from Ron in about 2008/2009 - when I last talked to the guy who got it when we moved, it was still alive in 2022, or so. This fish was hardy, not shy and ate right away. Mine ate mysis, nori, new life spectrum and a mix of nasty stuff that I got at the asian market.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first one was 5yrs with me when I sold her. Had to move cross country. Got her at 3.75ish inches. That was 8yrs ago. As of 2yrs ago she’s still going strong, but I lost his number since.

My second one I bought down here in 2019. Lost him to the negligence of a house keeper about 8 months ago. There was zero chance that fish was anywhere near its life expectancy. Total stud.

I have another that I’m currently watching swim while I type this. She’s tank boss.

FWIW, I don’t run heaters on my tanks. House stays at 72. Tank is usually at 74.

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones direct from Hawaii have had long lifespans. Many of the specimens that went through LA and the wholesale route did not seem to live as long. I did not treat mine with any type of copper or prazi, but I did a quick FW dip for flukes. This was on the advice of the collector.

They are somewhat of a deeper species, so I would not let them get much above 78 degrees.

I got one from Ron in about 2008/2009 - when I last talked to the guy who got it when we moved, it was still alive in 2022, or so. This fish was hardy, not shy and ate right away. Mine ate mysis, nori, new life spectrum and a mix of nasty stuff that I got at the asian market.
Ron Tubbs?

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0630BE77-D0E4-44DE-B04D-C70DB6C95589.jpeg

Need one of those fancy orange lenses that y’all got. With my phone, as the lights are going off….

Hope to have these two for years to come.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back