Be wary of rumors

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumour has it that PaulB, my neighbour to the south, is really Paris Hilton. Have you ever noticed that Paul and Paris are never seen at the same time? Coincidence? I think not! All of those photos depicting Paul as a 60-something, balding boater are all obviously photoshopped under blue LEDs to make the shine on his/her head really pop.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Paul is getting Cabin fever from being iced in his house from our previous storms and not being able to go out on his boat!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful busting Pau'ls chops.Rumor has it He's connected.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.... this Thread gets BETTER every day.... lol hmmm......... Paris Hilton huh?

Cheers, Todd

retiredsailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great piece Paul. So many people regurgitate posts they read without actually reading or understanding the situation on hand. I find this most often with new hobbyists with good intentions that are reading everything they find and then to earn internet cred try answering everyone's question and get offended if corrected.

I tried exactly that once, not to earn cred, but because I thought my answer was helpful. I didn't necessarily get offended when I was corrected, but I wasn't happy with the unnecessary, and insulting nature of the correction. And then I moved on.

Ian

retiredsailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry but even after 9 months or so, some of these acronyms continue to stump me. May I have the meaning of NSW? I thought I came across a whole post of them once but unfortunately can't find it right now.
If I were to hazard a guess it would be New Salt Water, but I really don't know. Thank you in advance, you mysterious reefer you.

ian

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whose this chick Rumor and why do I need to be wary of her? Is she a beautiful supermodel that teases you with glorious thoughts and fantasies, then leave you with a bunch of crabs and a bottle of snake oil?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSW could stand for "natural sea water " as well. we need some clarification this.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did hear a rumour that in this context, NSW = Natural Sea Water and ASW = Artificial Sea Water. At least, IMHO, those are the definitions which I believe to be possibly true, but may in fact, not be true.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Paul is getting Cabin fever from being iced in his house from our previous storms and not being able to go out on his boat!

Hi Guys. I actually just got home from Key large about midinght last night. Spent most of the time on my friends boat around mangrove islands. I will post some pictures later. Just to prove it is not a rumor, conjecture or a figment of my active imagination. :brushteeth:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my swing arm hydrometer to a tiny mangrove Island off Key Largo and am happy to report that the salinity of the sea is fine and we don't have to alter it. It is exactly 1.025

In case anyone cares, this is what it looks like on a mangrove Island when there are no Supermodels there

This is how I prepare for a blizzard in New York. I make airline reservations.

I let my wife come along.

Look at this picture. I took this on the mangrove roots. This is what the bottom of the sea is supposed to look like. No one needs to vacuum it as this is fish and coral food. (I ate some myself)

Last edited:

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we know PaulB took these pictures? What if that last picture isn't the bottom of the sea but just a really dirty tank?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul,Glad You had a good time in Fl. How did You like the catamaran type hull on your buddies boat? How did the algae taste? salty I bet. I prefer a platter of fried Yellow tail snapper!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we know PaulB took these pictures? What if that last picture isn't the bottom of the sea but just a really dirty tank?

That is true, It could be the bottom of my garbage can.

The catamarin hull took the choppy water very well. My first boat had a hull like that and it is the best for a smaller boat like that. He sold his 36 foot Cruiser here in New York and bought that in the Keys. It is great for mangrove coral hopping as the water is very shallow. We ate seafood every day as I do in NY.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people seem to have problems with that and can only see one method to keep our tanks.
So I got banned from several sites.

I posted this thread on RC and after a few posts, it inexplicably got deleted. I know they don't like me saying things like a tang can be kept in a 40 gallon tank, even though I added that it is not the best thing to do. I realize I am opinionated, but I am also old and have a little experience. If I say something, it is because I have done it which is why I never add references after something I post. (well rarely unless I am referencing a chart or Supermodel stats) I do my own research. In the book I am writing 99% of it is my thoughts. Some of the medical stuff I had to look up for the names of certain things because I am an electrician and not a Dr. I do have a cousin who is a Marine Biology Professor and he never even kept a goldfish. He dove once 45 years ago but now is a teacher. Degrees don't often impress me unless they are printed on a thermometer. That just means you paid to sit in a classroom for a few years and listen to someone who also paid to sit in a classroom to listen to someone who may have made things up while he was on LSD. Just my opinion of course. If someone is going to operate on me I would rather a certified surgeon than a shoe maker. But if I was stranded on a desert Island, a shoe maker may be better to have there, until you stepped on an urchin, then you may want the surgeon. I don't have to many problems with college but one thing that bothers me, especially with people who spent many years in college is that I feel it takes away your creativity. I know many very educated people, doctors, surgeons, scientists and they are all very good at what they do, but very little else. A friend of mine is a Neurologist, I really like the guy and he is one of the top Neurologists in NY, but besides that, there is nothing else. I mean simple things like pouring gas into a generator is a big deal, forgetting about turning off a circuit breaker or changing a flat tire. IMO, and I did say I am opinionated, Many people have a more rounded education "if" you are the type of person that can learn and is willing to learn on your own. I spent my whole life reading and doing. I learned about fish by diving with them. In my job as a construction electrician general foreman I made many things to make the jobs easier. (that was not always appreciated in the construction field) I just seem to be able to do things easier than most people. I am not sure why but so far I have never hired anyone for anything. That includes my house, appliances, cars, boats, cement, roof, furniture or anything else. It actually boggles my mind that people have to pay mechanics, carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc. I don't know how people can afford that and still pay their bills. There is always something broken and I can normally fix it for a few bucks. Yesterday a 2" galvanized pipe Tee broke in my ceiling. 2 hours and $21,00 later it was fixed. A plumber would have demolished my house and charged me $2,000.00. The same day, my microwave broke. I also fixed that in about 30 minutes. If I had to pay for everything, I would never be able to have a boat or house and I would always be broke. I think if I had gone to college I would have lost that ability to think outside the box and I would be screwed. I also would have been an electrical engineer making much less than I did and would not have a pension so college is not for everyone. This is all just my opinion of course and if you disagree with me (and I am sure all you college grads will) start your own thread called Paul B is an Idiot who never went to college because he was to stupid. Of course if it were not for the draft and me going to Viet Nam I may have gone to college and got some cheap LSD
My leaking pipe yesterday

Pipe was a little clogged

The repair.

Microwave was easier to fix.

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a general contractor and several of my clients are professors. The job I'm working now, the doctor does all of his own home repairs. His wife got tired of the wait and they hired me. I had to be very diplomatic when I told him I had to tear the bathroom he had remodeled apart and re-do it. I definitely know where you're coming from. But, to tell the truth I have sat in college classrooms for a lot more years than I care to admit. While working as a marine biologist for a short time I took fellow employees out in my boat to check my crab pots and some of them had no idea.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, don't get me wrong. We certainly need colleges or many of us would all be Neanderthals. I spent my entire life taking courses in one thing or another. But I learned what I wanted (or needed ) to learn. I have a pole climbing degree from the Army, now that comes in handy. I love to learn, but I want to learn what I want and don't want to have to study something I don't care about just so I could learn what I am interested in. I am far more impressed by common sense and creativity than I am about degrees. As a contractor you will appreciate this story. I was the foreman on a construction site in Manhattan. I think it was a 60 or 70 story office building we were putting up. The building was oval shaped so it was a little difficult taking measurements for electrical conduits to be installed in the deck before they poured concrete. I asked a couple of questions of the architect at a job meeting to clarify some measurements. He got mad and told me it is very clear and just go by the prints. OK, so on one of the higher floors, maybe fifty, the print read to install an outlet maybe 30' from a column. 30' from the column was about 10' outside the building. I had my guy install it just as it read on the print. So there was a working outlet sticking 10' outside the building on the 50th floor. It had a plate on it and all. The architectural firm had to pay to remove it because I was correct and followed the print.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, outstanding couple posts above and truly do relate on many levels being on a self directed life long journey of learning anything and everything peaking my interest or deemed necessary to be able to accomplish a task at hand. Did sit in on a few classes at the UW in Seattle back in the 80's on Marine Biology, Fisheries and Human Psychology but never as a registered student. Just wanting the knowledge and not needing the piece of paper at the end of course to prove I was there. I to have eagerly learned to be able to do most everything needed in my life without having to rely on others for what now seems like the simplest of tasks. Without even thinking of hiring anyone completely remodeling our two homes top to bottom, currently re-fencing one property and fencing the other, restoring my old boat learning fiberglass repair, doing most all my own automotive repairs/maintenance and of course in this incredible Hobby affording me the ability to fabricate most all necessary components or modifying others to get better performance. Hopefully without sounding like a cranky ol' fart do feel that most people today lack the greater common senses of our generation in favor of being an expert to a single task in a narrow field. I have a few family members that are greatly more educated certificate wise than myself but 'Holy Moly ' would not want to have to rely on them for most any basic survival or even everyday needs. 'A Jack of All Trades' I'll happily be over a 'Brain Surgeon' or 'Colo-rectal Surgeon' any day... lol

Really looking forward to the completion of your Book Paul, will be expecting a signed copy my friend. And hopefully will encourage me to finish mine in a timely manner.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just working on the book. It has about 80 pages so far with a lot of pictures. That is what is taking a lot of time. Building things and taking pictures. There is so much to cover. I have a lifetime of things I want to put in writing and I didn't realize it was so much until I started to write. Supermodels take up a part of the book also. I also didn't realize I disagree with so much common "wisdom" and am trying to make it only common sense without all the rumors. I think it is coming out awesome but of course I am prejudice and believe whatever I write so I can't argue with myself.

I am deeply disappointed. So Paul, all the posts you made about supermodels is just rumor. And to think I was considering tossing out my sump and converting to UGF, and shaving my head, because I thought this was a chick magnet

I attracted this, maybe there is something to being a Fish Geek

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'A Jack of All Trades' I'll happily be over a 'Brain Surgeon' or 'Colo-rectal Surgeon' any day... lol

Me too, unless of course if you needed one of those. And I hope we don't. I like being able to fix anything. Today a guy gave me a steam cleaner to fix. He brought it to a vacuum cleaner fixing store and they told him it couldn't be fixed and he needed to buy a new one. They didn't sell them so I know it wasn't just for a sale. I fixed the thing in about 30 minutes but had to make some molded parts. I love doing things like that, and I like it much better if they say it can't be done. Once, many years ago when I was an apprentice we were building the high rises on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan. Our lay out man made a mistake and laid out the kitchen light in the center of the kitchen, but didn't take into afect the cabinets, so the ceiling box was installed in the concrete pour about 18" off. These "mud" boxes are about 6" deep and are connected to a steel conduit. There were 14 on a floor and 36 floors. They all had to be chopped out of the cement in the ceilings with the pipes and moved 18". This would have taken weeks. My company got a price of I think $56.000.00 and this was 40 years ago. They were going to core down from the floor above for the box and chop out the pipes by hand. In an hour I built a chopping machine that easily fit in the alamac (outside, construction elevator) and could be assembled in a minute. It chopped out each location in about 10 minutes. Later I broke my leg skiing. My boss paid me off the books for 7 months and gave me $5,000.00. It pays to know how to do things. :becky:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back