Be wary of rumors

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there a Nobel prize for contribution to society? :)
Would love to read that book Paul!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to finish it. So far it is 112 pages. I would like at least 200 pages so I am still writing. Unfortunately, fish book writing is not the only thing I do but I really need to get it done before boating season because that takes up all my time. :smokin:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two of these very cool shrimpfish last week and one lasted 2 days and croaked. I am having Baby brine shrimp problems as the shrimp may have gone on strike as very few of them are hatching and many of my fish depend on new born shrimp. I replaced that shrimpfish but they are hungry. The one that croaked first became covered in spots, eyes clouded over the whole bit. He looked like an advertisement for parasites. I don't know if he had parasites on him when I got him or if they are the ones I am sure are happily living in my tank and frankly my Dear, I don't give a Dam. My fish are immune from parasites, fishhooks, spears and everything else. I can't say that on most forums or a SWAT team will come and break my door down, but I bet that none of my other fish get even one spot. I am not going to remove the fish and leave the tank fallow (which is a silly word that I never heard before except in relation to fish tanks) Actually, my house is also fallow of Supermodels as I don't see any right now. I am totally amazed that people just allow their fish to get ich, then try to cure them when it is so simple to just keep them immune. I keep my family immune from things by getting shots for everything that could infect them. Immunity is a wonderful thing and only a healthy fish could have a fantastic immune system as the fish was designed to have. A fish was not designed to live in a bubble or goldfish bowl. It was designed (probably by Brian Williams) to live in a sea of parasites. The parasites don't want to kill the fish, they just want to hang out for a couple of days then leave and go to a parasite disco or wherever parasites go for fun. Fishes slime is perfectly designed to protect fish from everything but it only works if you feed the thing correctly. No, flakes or other dry foods are not feeding correctly. OK, I am done. Now to go and eat some oysters to keep my immune system up.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The book is about 200 pages so far as I keep remembering things that most people either forgot about or never knew in the first place. I think Steven Spielberg wants to do the movie. There is still no name as I have not even thought about it.
"Gone with the Wind" is already taken and I don't want to get arrested for plagiarism. About half of the book is DIY stuff. Fish traps, target feeders, chillers, lights, hatcheries, worm keepers, collecting fry, attracting Supermodels etc.
I am having a lot of fun writing and am almost finished. I am just tweeking now and I still have to add my Majano Wand. I really should at least mention that, after all I invented the thing. It is selling very well by the way. Hopefully the book will as well.
Even if it doesn't, I won't care as I didn't write this to get famous, If I wanted to get famous, I would have baked cookies. I also invented a skin cream, actually it's an oil. I never mentioned that on here and no, I don't sell it so I am not pushing the stuff. I originally made it for myself because from working outside in the winter, my (Very Manly) hands would crack and dry out. So I made this stuff. Then of course my wife found it and uses it on her face, then she gave it to her friends so I have to make it for them and of course women need it to smell nice so I put Frankencense in it. Yes, correct, that is the same stuff the three wise men brought to Jesus when he was born. I am not sure if his hands were cracked as I think it was warm in Jerusalem so I have no idea what he needed Frankencense for. But I do know that stuff is expensive. Maybe it is made by wise men.
I noticed on this or another forum, I forgot, someone asked a simple question about adding a dead shrimp to his tank for the cycle. It is going on like 8 pages now from opinions. It was a simple question that needed a simple answer. Yes, add a shrimp. Add 2 shrimps, who cares. How can you have so many opinions for so simple a thing. Another person asked if 20 volts was OK to have as stray voltage. I got out of there fast because I know that could go on for weeks, and I need to start working on my boat. I also have to make more skin cream and order more Frankincense.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul ichbola can only be cured by catching your tank on fire for 72 weeks and putting each fish in the microwave on medium power (without copper of course because metals are bad for microwaves) in hyposaline cylinders and then maintained in a small, inestablished tank full of unnatural chemicals for one month and be fed porridge and creek water.

This at first sight of ich.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I hold an MBA graduate degree and am the furthest thing from a liberal. I don't think with emotion solely. Logic, then emotion, and consistent comparison with claims and results. That's life. (Well it used to be).

Now life is all about theory. Practice is irrelevant.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note I am all but completely certain that people just like to repeat what they hear the most. If five or six of us colluded and posted separately that giraffe urine cures ichbola, eventually studies would show up that supported the claim because people started research with said bias because of how frequently it has reverberated.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I hold an MBA graduate degree and am the furthest thing from a liberal.

And I thought I was as far fom Liberal as you could get. I am a Veteran and most Veterans are not very Liberal. I am very American
The best cure for ich is to hit each one with a hammer. Then to scare them away, leave the hammer in the tank.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great writing again Paul!

I had to delete all reefing activities via facebook, that has crazy crazy advice and bickering like no tomorrow, similar to many forums.

This hobby is not rocket science, I learned early on who to follow; people with alot of time, not speaking of 10 years and 10 tanks either.

When I see someone reaching out I try and steer (not the cow), them towards info to assess their own opinion, and none are a forum, (except Randy's pages).

There is too many opinions without fact based materials, and experts.

When I wanted to learn the whys of ocean chemistry I bought a book and read everything I could, almost obsessively and then made my decisions.

There are a lot people in every field relating; Hendal, Ulrich, Paletta, joshi, (of course you), to name a few, that have published works that are positive to this hobby.

People just need to be directed in those directions more. I try alway to post the link of reef keeping magazine articles home page as a place to start research or something to that effect.

There is a thousand ways to skin a cat and a million ways to cycle a tank, end results are the same. A skinned cat and a cycled tank.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think You can cycle a tank with that cat skin. I was speaking to Joshi last Saturday. He has the same hair cut as me. But that may be just a rumor, or my opinion. When I wanted to learn about the sea, I put on SCUBA gear and jumped into the ocean. (when I wanted to learn about Supermodels, I worked at a Victoria Secret photo shoot) When I wanted to learn how to fly a helocopter, I asked the pilot to give me the controls. I learned more in 5 minutes than I would have learned in five months in school. I also love to read, but when you read, you are taking for granted that the guy you are reading actually knows what he is talking about and you don't know, because you don't know the guy who wrote what you are reading. He could be a Jiboni or a ventriliquist. You are correct, this is not rocket science. I wish it were as I like rockets. Fish in the sea have no problem keeping alive, all we have to do is keep out of their way so they can live long and prosper.
I hope that cleared it up.

Last edited:

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried, wife wouldn't let me skin the cat for the tank....so i used the pesky raccoon always banging around the neighborhood at 3AM

Besides I convinced her the fish were to entertain the cat when were at work.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wives are like that. I got one, some day I am going to let her know we have a fish tank

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha!
How way nerac? I had to work.

My soon to be wife, (jumped gun earlier), are getting married at LI Aquarium in May, every time we have a meeting there with the events department I end up at the reef tank.....forgetting everything I was told to remember.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. We rented the New York aquarium for our Daughter's Sweet 16 party. She is now 36

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think your tank is big enough for two tangs and a hammer... You should probably return it to the lfs. Not before treating it with copper though

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! If I hear you can't keep a mandrin in a 29 gallon biocube 1 more time I might freak. I have had mine for over a yeah and he is fat and happy...Yes I know he is happy he tells me every day :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be fine as long as you keep his head underwater. As long as you get enough food into a mandarin, they don't seem to care where they live. They are not exactly the Manta Rays of the sea.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished the book and will see what (if anything) the publisher says. I don't know how long a process it is to get the thing out but besides an E Book, I want a bunch of copies printed. I want to give one to my Grand Kids so they have something to laugh about in the future after they learn how to read. E Books are fine but I think computers are a fad and will soon be replaced by something else. Maybe paper.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have a version carved into stone tablets - illustrations and all - for us older folks? We don't like these newfangled tablets.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about stone, but some will be printed by monks on parchment paper and some on goat skins

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 109 73.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back