OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because Im an aquarist I learned I actually have an allergy… and a severe one at that after 28 years of saying “no allergies” to doctors…
What's your allergy? I am allergic to blood worms! Something I learned as a teenager raising discus and angelfish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your allergy? I am allergic to blood worms! Something I learned as a teenager raising discus and angelfish
Lionfish venom! Its so bad I have to go to the hospital if stung.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many of these, my goodness.

Because I'm an aquarist, I can maintain a detailed schedule of feeding, testing water parameters and cleaning, but I can't remember when my dental appointment is

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And because I’m an aquarist I then take said superglued animals in insulated carriers to discrete locations to meet with other aquarists like members of an underground vital organ trading network.
Don't forget the RODI cult...

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife had to put the Kabash on my spending habits...it got out of control!!
My wife asked of my planned reboot "Will it be the money pit the last tank was?". I said "Oh no! An equal amount of money will be spent, but up front this time!". I do not think she was satisfied with the answer.......

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm an aquarist...

... the number of 5-gallon buckets I have is a recurring joke with my family.

... I can thoroughly creep out new hires by telling them that my hobby is gluing animals to rocks.

... I have more pairs of nitrile gloves than most pharmacies.

... I learned how to make furniture solely so that I can make my next stand.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm an aquarist, my backyard is littered with coral skeletons and clam shells.

Because I'm an aquarist, I have a backup generator dedicated specifically for my reef tank.

Because I'm an aquarist, my neighbors speculate as to why I have a blue glow emanating from my house in the evenings.

Because I'm an aquarist, I can't go on long trips without something going wrong.

Because I'm an aquarist, my social life revolves around other reefers.

Because I'm an aquarist, I risk burning down my house everytime I plug new equipment in around my reef.

Because I'm an aquarist, I removed all carpet and wood floors and replaced them with tile.

Because I'm an aquarist, I don't apply common sense when I open my wallet to buy corals.

Because I'm an aquarist, my electric company thinks I have an illegal marijuana farm.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This post makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside… and here I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do all these things.

I’ll add one of mine:

Because I’m an aquarist I had a whole house generator installed. The 5 and 3 year old little kids had not been enough to convince me that this was a good idea. The many saltwater tanks were.

OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside… and here I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do all these things.

I’ll add one of mine:

Because I’m an aquarist I had a whole house generator installed. The 5 and 3 year old little kids had not been enough to convince me that this was a good idea. The many saltwater tanks were.
I just had a transfer switch installed for our generator. I couldn't swing an automatic whole house genny, but this gives me another level of backup. My wife wants comfort when the power goes out and I want my tank to survive. Win win

Last edited:
OP
OP
IntrinsicReef

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I’m an aquarist, my wife thinks I have a 5g bucket fetish
I'm hoarding the old school IO buckets with the metal handle after the switch to plastic handle. They are slightly more convenient, so worth the space in the garage, right?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Because I'm an aquarist, people truly question the blue lights emitted from my windows. Especially when I say I'm a reefer...

Because I'm an aquarist, guests express concern when they see an aiptasia syringe lying around.
Luckily, this is equally easily *in my own head* explained as I'm an infusion nurse.
I've found aquarium uses for all sorts of infusion/nursing supplies.

Back