Beginner setting up a dedicated frag tank

SaltyShrimpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to setup a frag tank. Is it possible to have only coral in the tank, no other livestock at all? What does that do to the bio filter, if anything? Considering I won't really be adding nutrients to the tank, except for coral food.

What about a cleanup crew, snails and hermit crabs? I assume the cuc would need to be fed occasionally? Is there a real benefit to having a cuc in a dedicated frag tank, especially if it means adding nutrients to the tank just to feed them?

And while I am not really wanting fish in there, is there a benefit to having maybe one fish that can pick algae off the frag plugs? A bristletooth family tang for example? Or maybe a few saltwater acclimated mollies?

Finally, assuming I don't have a sump or an AIO tank, should I run something like a HOB or in-tank skimmer? Probably for aeration purposes more than filtration. Or would a couple of air stones and an air pump be sufficient? Even though I don't like the salt spray from air stones.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
those who run frag tanks with no rock or sand tend to have some form of bio media in there like bioballs/cubes, or plumb it straight from their DT. in terms of CUC/utility fish - i don't see anything but pros with doing this. the CUC and fish will keep your plugs and frag holder clean whilst keeping nutrients in the water. size of fish or choice of fish should be made by how big the frag tank will be.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated frag nano tank without fish, it’s a 3 ft long 20 gallon.

I have calcium reactor media has my substrate and have bio balls in my filter. (Two little fishes reborn)

You still want living creatures in your tank in the form of pods. Pods are very beneficial for your corals. They are the plankton that corals require and will feed on. So you want material that can house them in your filter atleast.
Having an ecosystem makes things more stable imo

OP
OP
S

SaltyShrimpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated frag nano tank without fish, it’s a 3 ft long 20 gallon.

I have calcium reactor media has my substrate and have bio balls in my filter. (Two little fishes reborn)

You still want living creatures in your tank in the form of pods. Pods are very beneficial for your corals. They are the plankton that corals require and will feed on. So you want material that can house them in your filter atleast.
Having an ecosystem makes things more stable imo
Yep i'm going to use mediapure blocks to give sufficient area for the biofilter. My question was mainly around, whether i have to introduce nutrients into the tank to keep the biofilter alive, more so than just occasional coral food.

And if I do put a cuc in there, will they be able to survive on whatever algae may happen to grow, or will I need to actually feed them? What would I even use to feed them, fish pellets, or small chunks of frozen food?

OP
OP
S

SaltyShrimpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those who run frag tanks with no rock or sand tend to have some form of bio media in there like bioballs/cubes, or plumb it straight from their DT. in terms of CUC/utility fish - i don't see anything but pros with doing this. the CUC and fish will keep your plugs and frag holder clean whilst keeping nutrients in the water. size of fish or choice of fish should be made by how big the frag tank will be.
Yep I will use mediapure blocks or similar.

So if cuc are going to be beneficial, do i need to actively feed them to keep them alive? What would i feed them, pellets, or frozen food?

I want to keep nutrients super low since i'm not really planning on having a skimmer or filter socks or probably even any sump. I may run a skimmer more for aeration.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reccomend a couple of utility fish if possible and a cuc. Without fish and food you could dose nitrate and phos I guess.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So if cuc are going to be beneficial, do i need to actively feed them to keep them alive? What would i feed them, pellets, or frozen food?

I want to keep nutrients super low since i'm not really planning on having a skimmer or filter socks or probably even any sump. I may run a skimmer more for aeration.

If you get only the bare min of snails they will be fine. And not all food for corals get taken up so will be eaten up by tank inhabitants

I would maybe dose live phyto for the pods. Some would suggest putting skimmate from your display tank into your frag tank.

I do say your frag tank when things get growing will drain your elements and trace elements pretty fast. So keep an eye on them

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend trochus snails and a tuxedo urchin after your tank is matured and you have hair algae

Every good reef tank has algae. It’s just having a balance of it being produced and consumed that makes the difference

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

snails will passively feed themselves on film algae on your frag rack, plugs, and glass. the fish(if you go this route) will need supplemental feedings depending what you get.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back