Advice on fragging a duncan?

Jhoekstra84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R - I have a Duncan coral that I have been growing for over a year in my tank. I want to frag it but all the videos online that show Duncan's being fragged show significant branch growth that allows this to happen easily. See my pic below - I just don't want to create any open wounds on my coral.

duncan.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a most unusual "Duncan" coral growth pattern, looking more like a brain coral growth than a branching LPS? What did the frag look like when you purchased this one? I agree there are not any branches to trim, you would have to saw it in pieces to frag that boulder coral.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R - I have a Duncan coral that I have been growing for over a year in my tank. I want to frag it but all the videos online that show Duncan's being fragged show significant branch growth that allows this to happen easily. See my pic below - I just don't want to create any open wounds on my coral.

duncan.jpg
So, there's two different "types" (same species, but have different growth patterns) of duncans, one like yours that grow tightly together, and others that grow out like branches and table across.

You can't really do anything with that one. Let it grow some more and you may get enough space to get a saw or dremel in there.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back