Duncan Stretching?

JustaSunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is my first post anywhere on r2r, I'm not sure If I am doing this in the right spot so if not let me know. Anyways, I have a Duncan and I honestly cannot tell if it's stretching or if this is just how this particular Duncan looks when it is fully inflated. Every Duncan I have seen in person has been the variety with longer tentacle-like structures so I am going off of online pics to try and compare, everything else in the tank is happy with no stretching, loss of color or shrinking. This Duncan has always looked this way and its been close to a year since I purchased it. I only reach out now because well I suppose I assumed it was okay but am now having doubts. I took a picture from the side to show the degree of potential stretching or inflation.
Duncan Feb 2024.jpg

OP
OP
J

JustaSunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If it's growing heads, I wouldn't worry about anything. Duncans have their own personality.

2. What kind of light do you have? It could be stretching up for more light
Yeah it's been growing heads, the 4th one popped out maybe a month ago which is probably when I noticed that it looked different than other duncans to me. The light I use is a Nicrew 30w hyper reef, It's maybe 9 inches from the top of the water and the Duncan is another 6 inches below the surface. I can turn up the power still but only the white channel.

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's been growing heads, the 4th one popped out maybe a month ago which is probably when I noticed that it looked different than other duncans to me. The light I use is a Nicrew 30w hyper reef, It's maybe 9 inches from the top of the water and the Duncan is another 6 inches below the surface. I can turn up the power still but only the white channel.
The head popped out as in popped off? Or emerged? Because Duncans have the capability of literally popping their head off (called polyp bailout)

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, this is my first post anywhere on r2r, I'm not sure If I am doing this in the right spot so if not let me know. Anyways, I have a Duncan and I honestly cannot tell if it's stretching or if this is just how this particular Duncan looks when it is fully inflated. Every Duncan I have seen in person has been the variety with longer tentacle-like structures so I am going off of online pics to try and compare, everything else in the tank is happy with no stretching, loss of color or shrinking. This Duncan has always looked this way and its been close to a year since I purchased it. I only reach out now because well I suppose I assumed it was okay but am now having doubts. I took a picture from the side to show the degree of potential stretching or inflation.
Duncan Feb 2024.jpg
Appears to be stretching. Increase white intensity slightly and feed it mysis shrimp. Moderate flow. Mine began as 2 heads and now:

600g progress l.jpg

Upvote 1

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs more light if you want rapid growth from it. Duncans can grow 5-10 heads a month with the right conditions.
Are you roiding your duncans :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
My duncan is started at 1 head and after 3 years, is only roughly at about 55. I feel like as time goes on, the more time it takes to make a new head

Upvote 0

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you roiding your duncans :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
My duncan is started at 1 head and after 3 years, is only roughly at about 55. I feel like as time goes on, the more time it takes to make a new head

Shading maybe? One of my colonies tends to grow pretty slow due to shading so I just frag the middle out from time to time to spur new growth. You can see missing chunk where I removed around ten mature heads here:

IMG_3381.jpeg

Upvote 0

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shading maybe? One of my colonies tends to grow pretty slow due to shading so I just frag the middle out from time to time to spur new growth. You can see missing chunk where I removed around ten mature heads here:

IMG_3381.jpeg
100% guarantee it's due to shading/inadequate lighting. He's only getting 105-115 par and only on one side. I posted my entire Nano build yesterday and mentioned he's probably going to a new home at the Mississippi Aquarium that way he can have a thriving life. He's my first coral so I'm attached to him and don't want to trade him to a random hobbyist but I would also feel guilty for chopping him up :pleading-face:

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back