Best ATO for in tank

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

What’s the best ATO for a sumpless tank?

Mechanical?

Optical?

And what brand has everyone had good experiences with?

Thanks

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own ATO for my nano tank
Water pump,
PVC
Flow valve
Smart plug

Set it the flow valve to drip and set the smart plug to turn on for 10 minutes everyday.
I get 47 drops of water per minute. It replaces 23ml of water
Never have to worry about over flow or malfunction.
And if any case it happens I can turn it off using my phone

Last edited:

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze 3155 on both my 90g and my sumpless 50g (FOWLR that uses a Fluval canister) with no issues.

One of the 3155's had the optical sensor fail just before the 2 year warranty ran out. Sent it to Tunze USA and had it back ready to go in about a week. Only cost me shipping to them to get it looked at for the warranty repair.

@rvitko was a big help. I think he works for Tunze so having him on the R2R was just another benefit.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Has anyone used the neptune atk v2?
Yeah, I actually have one they do work great. I ended up just buying a smaller budget one that has a sensor and stuff on it which is basically the same thing as what this does, but I never hooked it up again after i uninstalled it.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Xpaqua Sumpless ATO.
The price is affordable and using over 1 year, still works great.

For customer service, well...thumb up! Pretty recommend Xpaqua

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried all the Tunze and neptunes. All with issues. Just got the Red Sea 3 in 1 and I must say my favorite by far.

OP
OP
aquaman67

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried all the Tunze and neptunes. All with issues. Just got the Red Sea 3 in 1 and I must say my favorite by far.

I saw that one too.

For a sumpless tank the probes are pretty low.

I do use the ReefBeat app with my ReefLED 90 light.

I’ve had my light since the first came out. And I’ve had problems with the light losing its programming and not coming on.

Then I have to struggle to clear all the setting by doing a factory reset. The last time it happened I had to use a different email address and make a completely new account with my iPad (old account was on my phone) before I could get it to work again.

Being fair to Red Sea I never reached out to customer support to try to solve my issues.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at picking one of the Red Sea ATO’s up. How did you mount the probe in your tank? Did you have to purchase anything extra to mount? Do you still like it?
If you have a red sea sump then it has a built-in mount. If you don't they have a magnetic mount, I'm pretty sure it comes in the box, though I got mine before the public release so I had to build my own. I used an eshopps fish feeder and some coral glue, but again it will probably come in the box

EDIT: Just checked, it does come in the box. Yes, still love mine, tells you when the reservoir is empty, also has a leak detector and a tempature probe built in.

madmike183

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a red sea sump then it has a built-in mount. If you don't they have a magnetic mount, I'm pretty sure it comes in the box, though I got mine before the public release so I had to build my own. I used an eshopps fish feeder and some coral glue, but again it will probably come in the box

EDIT: Just checked, it does come in the box. Yes, still love mine, tells you when the reservoir is empty, also has a leak detector and a tempature probe built in.
Thank you! Very helpful

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back