Best ATO for Pico Tank

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve finally had it with my current optical sensor ATO. It decided to recalibrate itself a few minutes ago and filled itself all the way up to the high water level sensor instead of its normal low water level sensor. This just dropped my salinity from 35.2 PPT to 34.5 PPT in a matter of minutes… tank is 3 gallons so every drop of freshwater has a big impact on the salinity. I need something reliable that will not attempt to calibrate to the high level sensor as this is causing instability in my Pico tank. I have an apex but their ato float switch is much too large for my tank so my current ATO is just a basic two level optical sensor.

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tunze osmolator 3155 is amazing I have never looked back, easy to get replacement parts and even use a separate pump if needed
It has redundancies for keeping things stable and functioning as they should
I’ll look into the tunze, is it pretty accurate in not letting the water level get too high or low? I can’t have more than a cm or two of water level variation.

Last edited:

dmmitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can go a little cheaper than the 3155 and get the 3152. Similar availability of replacement parts, super reliable. I run them on all three of my nano tanks.

They are fairly sensitive to level fluctuations. I don’t think you’d have any trouble.

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go a little cheaper than the 3155 and get the 3152. Similar availability of replacement parts, super reliable. I run them on all three of my nano tanks.

They are fairly sensitive to level fluctuations. I don’t think you’d have any trouble.
I’ll look into this tunze as well, thank you for the help!

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into the tunze, is it pretty accurate in not letting the water level get too high or low? I can’t have more than a cm or two of water level variation.
In my experience its accurate, it uses a float switch that shuts off system should the water get above the desired limit as a failsafe. But other than that it does well to keep the water level in check

curt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
auto top off.com float switchs work great. Been using the same one for over 10 years now with no problems.
This is from there web site
How Sensitive is the switch?
About 1/8" change in water level will trigger the switch. A double switch controller with the custom latching option will allow you to set how much water level change will trigger the controller.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m partial to the (super low-tech but foolproof) gravity ATOs available on Amazon for ~$10. The length of the tubing is at your discretion and it should never deviate when filling the tank. I have it on my 20G and honestly love the simplicity.
I agree with this for pico tanks. Perfect solution.

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m partial to the (super low-tech but foolproof) gravity ATOs available on Amazon for ~$10. The length of the tubing is at your discretion and it should never deviate when filling the tank. I have it on my 20G and honestly love the simplicity.
I’ll have to look into these, I’m starting to get tight on my budgeted cash for this tank so this may be the best option in my case. My current ATO would work well in an AIO where the water level differs more substantially but filling another couple centimeters to an inch in my 3 gallon system is not working out so well. My coral didn’t seem to react to it much but it certainly isn’t good for these swings in salinity to continually occur.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend XPAqua Duetto2, with dual optical sensor and the controller is small and compact.
Using over 1 year and still performs perfect.

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend XPAqua Duetto2, with dual optical sensor and the controller is small and compact.
Using over 1 year and still performs perfect.
This likely won’t work for a 3 gal Pico - it is not sensitive/precise enough and dispenses too much water - I struggled with the Duetto overfilling my 5gal project

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the gravity fed ATO for my 13 gallon, and I just bought another and the tiny bottles to fit into a tighter space for the 3 gallon pico I'm building. Works great, keeps things topped off for 2-3 days with just a 1 liter bottle.

csturgis1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Pico tank I wouldn’t go with a Tunze 3155 since it will definitely add too much water for a 3 3 gallon system. The 3155 pump can be adjusted lower but every time the power is reconnected to the system the pump turns on for a systems check. I would recommend the Tunze 3152 for your application since the pump flow can be adjusted lower and the pump won’t turn on when you plug it in.

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of these for temporary use on a QT tank about 5 years ago. Put it on my 20 about 4 years ago when I was going to be gone for two weeks and couldn't top it off every AM like I always had. It has been a rock solid performer and absolutely flawless. Level doesn't fluctuate at all as far as I can tell. It comes on for 1-5 seconds dozens of times a day... a few cc's each time.
Only 2 complaint is there's a green indicator light when it is pumping. Tank is in the bedroom and the LED is unnecessarily bright. Problem solved with duct tape.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back