Best cost effective lighting options

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lighting setup would be the best cost effective for this tank I’ve posted down below. The length of the tank is 70 inches. Thank you!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lighting setup would be the best cost effective for this tank I’ve posted down below. The length of the tank is 70 inches. Thank you!

24" wide . "16" deep right?
120gal.

Light intensity (cost);will depend on part on goals.
What I mean is you can always over- buy.

Then there is your preferred " tone".

And little things that start to add to your decision. Control, do you want hybrid, tank mount, gang, ect.

You might get away with a bunch of 50w
flood lightd at $60.each.
Or you might want something like 2 Reefbreeders 32" photons at $760 each.
460 watts total.

Even the " black boxes" are like $150 each and 110w. Three if those to start..

Or 3 Mitras 7204's @$580 each.
393W total
That might be the cost effective white tank mount light .
Screenshot_20240518-004047.png

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120gal.

And little things that start to add to your decision. Control, do you want hybrid, tank mount, gang, ect.

46 watts total.

The thoughtful and thorough replies you all give out freely never ceases to amaze me. I joined this amazing community about a month ago and I've already learned more in that time frame than I knew in all my years of saltwater aquarium keeping. I made a humble Newbie 40 gallon build thread and you all came out of the woodwork with expert advice. This was not my question but I just wanted to say thank you, to you, and everyone else here for helping keep this hobby alive and on the cutting edge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120gal.

460 watts total.

393W total
Thank you so much for this reply. How do you rate these lights here?

Would the 150 watt version be sufficient? I would get two of them, or would I be better with 3 of them? Really want to keep my cost of lighting down and put money into corals/fish.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NICREW 150W Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks​

Ok for whatever it's worth ..
In the freshwater world I suggest at least " 1 watt/gal"of LEDs. Real- ish watts. Not the black box w165 " theoretical" watts when voltage and drivers show about 110 total.

In SW probably best to strat with " 2wpg".
Since people are hating on par I'll go back to wpg.

Your tank is sort of rated as shallowish so that is to your advantage.

Advise getting the controller too.
2 100's is $300 plus 50.

OP
OP
S

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the freshwater world I suggest at least " 1 watt/gal"of LEDs. Real- ish watts. Not the black box w165 " theoretical" watts when voltage and drivers show about 110 total.

2 100's is $300 plus 50.
That’s good to hear I’ll be able to get the 100 watt versions, I was going to opt for the 150 watt versions. What controller do you suggest I get?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this is a difficult question to answer. Most of us haven 't had the opportunity to "experiment" with the wide range of equipment available. All of the highly recommended models are expensive. A poor first choice really hurts the pocketbook. If you can find a LFS, a local club, or experienced hobbyists at your location, you might be able to see first hand how the various products stack up. I was disappointed in my first choice. I'm happy with my second choice. But I have no idea how my second choice stacks up against everything else out there. Lots of variables to consider. Most important to me was the ability to manage the color spectrum and intensity (PAR) programatically, Then it came down to cost..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to hear I’ll be able to get the 100 watt versions, I was going to opt for the 150 watt versions. What controller do you suggest I get?
Nicrews can interface w 0-10v if you have something like an apex
Other than that ..theirs.
NICREW HyperReef Light Controller, LED Light Timer for HyperReef 50,100,150

"Get away" w 200w is a guess.
Keep in mind that's all at 100%.

I suppose you could just pony up for another one if insufficient

Their par map for 1 100w in free air and 24". Your 16" + say 8" light height- substrate is 24" or less
Screenshot_20240518-124436.png

Will be different under water .
And of course 2 light overlap
Btw I'd not equally space them
Maybe each about 16" from the edge of the the tank to the middle of the lights.
Getting a bigger space between 2 in the middle.
Spreads the par out better.
Unless you want a hot middle island effect.
So 16......34"....16" center to center of the 2 lights.
Hmmm maybe 18"..30"...18"
Play w it a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicrews can interface w 0-10v if you have something like an apex
Other than that ..theirs.

"Get away" w 200w is a guess.
Keep in mind that's all at 100%.

I suppose you could just pony up for another one if insufficient

Their par map for 1 100w in free air and 24". Your 16" + say 8" light height- substrate is 24" or less
Screenshot_20240518-124436.png

Will be different under water .
And of course 2 light overlap
Btw I'd not equally space them
Maybe each about 16" from the edge of the the tank to the middle of the lights.
Getting a bigger space between 2 in the middle.
Spreads the par out better.
Unless you want a hot middle island effect.
So 16......34"....16" center to center of the 2 lights.
Hmmm maybe 18"..30"...18"
Play w it a bit.
Thank you so much for your incredible help, looks like I’ll be going with these for sure and shall post the results. Thank you!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much for this reply. How do you rate these lights here?

Would the 150 watt version be sufficient? I would get two of them, or would I be better with 3 of them? Really want to keep my cost of lighting down and put money into corals/fish.

I have a buddy who has been running 3 of the 150s over his 72" 220g tank for quite a while now. He's had good success with them running in a hybrid fixture with 4 T5 bulbs. I feel like the Nicrews are one of the better "budget" lights out there.

For the length of the tank, I would suggest going with 3 lights. You just won't get the coverage end-to-end with only 2 lights on a tank that long.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into this one: I have one over my 30 gallon shallow cube and I like it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late as usual but a 3 or 4 noopsyche k7 III pros would light that tank nicely I think. They are strong enough to grow clams on the bottom if cranked up high enough. It's always nice to have more light than needed when starting vs having to upgrade later. I had six over my 180g in my showcase tank if you want to take a look. I moved them all over to my new build which is 84x30x25 and am currently running just 4 as I'm not lighting the ends. About $200 each with a mounting bracket they are my favorite budget light. I do like my photons also ;) I'm surprised the radion fan crowd hasn't chimed in :thinking-face: . I have some gen 4 radions but won't buy any new equipment from ecotech. This is my new tank with 4 of the k7s powered on. I run higher whites than many.
PXL_20240520_002615755.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your incredible help, looks like I’ll be going with these for sure and shall post the results. Thank you!
I re-read this thread and think I've probably been a bit loose on my answer.
For your length I'd shoot for 3 lights for coverage..

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 100's is $300 plus 50.

How everything old is new again :)

We've reached the point in LED fixtures where most of them are in the same efficiency class, so its useful to go back to watts per gallon as a guideline for total energy :cool:

OP
OP
S

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I re-read this thread and think I've probably been a bit loose on my answer.
For your length I'd shoot for 3 lights for coverage..
So three of the 150 watts or the 100 watts? Could I get away with two of the 150 watt version? Thank you!

OP
OP
S

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late as usual but a 3 or 4 noopsyche k7 III pros would light that tank nicely I think. They are strong enough to grow clams on the bottom if cranked up high enough. It's always nice to have more light than needed when starting vs having to upgrade later. I had six over my 180g in my showcase tank if you want to take a look. I moved them all over to my new build which is 84x30x25 and am currently running just 4 as I'm not lighting the ends. About $200 each with a mounting bracket they are my favorite budget light. I do like my photons also ;) I'm surprised the radion fan crowd hasn't chimed in :thinking-face: . I have some gen 4 radions but won't buy any new equipment from ecotech. This is my new tank with 4 of the k7s powered on. I run higher whites than many.
That’s a stunning tank! Thank you for the information and I’ll have to look into those lights, I just don’t like the spread they put out. More of like a kessil type if you know what I mean. I like coverage so I don’t have to get many lights.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a stunning tank! Thank you for the information and I’ll have to look into those lights, I just don’t like the spread they put out. More of like a kessil type if you know what I mean. I like coverage so I don’t have to get many lights.

You don't need as many noopsyche lights as are in that picture to cover a tank. Some people just like having lots.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion fans probably not chiming in cause the subject line says "Best cost effective..." and Radions clearly aren't for those that looking to save on cost. While I'm not radion fanboy, I do run radions that I picked up second and from a closeout and they are effective, just not the "cost" part of the equation.

Back