Best media bag for gfo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bulk reef. What micron size media bag is best for gfo? Does yours work well? I want to stick it in the output chamber of my remora skimmer. I just tried an 800 micron bag, and the gfo just poured right through it when i rinsed it.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bulk reef. What micron size media bag is best for gfo? Does yours work well? I want to stick it in the output chamber of my remora skimmer. I just tried an 800 micron bag, and the gfo just poured right through it when i rinsed it.

GFO poured out my BRS media bags. I used the Seachem Media Bag designed for Purigen and that worked pretty well.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-mesh-filter-sock-with-draw-string.html for my GFO when I run it but you are supposed to gently wash the fines out just like you would with carbon. If you are too aggressive with it it will just create more just like carbon.

Also on a side note I too used a remora for many years and was always chasing my tail with nitrates until I got a wine bottle skimmer. I still have my remora hooked up and running just for flow and back up just in case my sump pump goes out but I haven't had to empty the cup in over 6 months and that proves to me it was just not good at it's job.

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-mesh-filter-sock-with-draw-string.html for my GFO when I run it but you are supposed to gently wash the fines out just like you would with carbon. If you are too aggressive with it it will just create more just like carbon.

Also on a side note I too used a remora for many years and was always chasing my tail with nitrates until I got a wine bottle skimmer. I still have my remora hooked up and running just for flow and back up just in case my sump pump goes out but I haven't had to empty the cup in over 6 months and that proves to me it was just not good at it's job.
thanks. I ordered that seachem bag. And regarding your skimmer, im sorry but something is wrong there. Either the pump is clogged, underperforming, or undersized, you have the cup set too high, or you dont unscrew that plastic screw and clean the injector once in a while. Other than that, i have been using them for 10 years 100% problem free.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I ordered that seachem bag. And regarding your skimmer, im sorry but something is wrong there. Either the pump is clogged, underperforming, or undersized, you have the cup set too high, or you dont unscrew that plastic screw and clean the injector once in a while. Other than that, i have been using them for 10 years 100% problem free.

I think you misunderstood me. I have my remora pro working in tandom with a eshopps s-200. I ran the remora for than a decade only having to replace my pump 2 times. However running it in tandon the sump skimmer clearly out preforms it. to the point the tank water has nothing for the remora to skim. I actually have the collection cup placed all the way down and still nothing. Again it's still fully functional but just provides flow or incase the 2nd skimmer shuts down for some reason then it can take over. I keep it this way because I frequently am out of town.

However the point was if your running gfo you are worried about phospates or nitrates and having a proper skimmer makes a difference. I personally didn't truly realize how under preforming my remora was till I got a better skimmer.

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you misunderstood me. I have my remora pro working in tandom with a eshopps s-200. I ran the remora for than a decade only having to replace my pump 2 times. However running it in tandon the sump skimmer clearly out preforms it. to the point the tank water has nothing for the remora to skim. I actually have the collection cup placed all the way down and still nothing. Again it's still fully functional but just provides flow or incase the 2nd skimmer shuts down for some reason then it can take over. I keep it this way because I frequently am out of town.

However the point was if your running gfo you are worried about phospates or nitrates and having a proper skimmer makes a difference. I personally didn't truly realize how under preforming my remora was till I got a better skimmer.
i would be all for getting a more powerful skimmer, but i am happy with the remora because it is hob, the mj pump isnt too intrusive in the tank, and i have modded the pump to draw off the surface, which has eliminated my surface film. The chamber on the skimmer where the water returns to the tank looks perfect for putting my gfo media bag. The water flows straight upwards. I wouldnt be surprised if it even tumbles a bit in there, just like a reactor.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I broke down and ordered the phosban 150 reactor. Itll be hob because i have a 30 gallon sumpless. I really didnt want any more equipment, but i think itll do me well.
Definitely a tried and true reactor. Maybe doesn't help aesthetics but will get the job done if kept up on.

OP
OP
S

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a tried and true reactor. Maybe doesn't help aesthetics but will get the job done if kept up on.
i have some nuisance algae. It mainly grows on the back glass, and i toothbrush it once in a while. I also have some bubble algae, that spreads slowly. I want to put a hurting on these algaes, and help my coralline, which grows, but should be faster. I am optimistic for the reactor.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back