Best reef ready tank deal of 2024 - whose looking for a new tank?

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!! THANK YOU!

On more thing and I'll leave you be, how wide is the return pump chamber?

Looks to be about the same as the sock chamber so maybe 4.5"?
Yes same as the sock chamber! Its a super nice tank. Looking forward to getting this thing setup.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think for those that bought this, it was an impulse buy. Does anyone have any actual plans or is this a let’s buy it now and figure it out later situation?

For flow, I showed the system to Vivid Creatic Aquatics to discuss the challenge of a single return on the far side of the tank and to see what solutions they could suggest. They reviewed and inquired about the return tubing diameter, bulkhead size, and lock line and told me confidently they feel this tank can get all necessary flow from 1” return tubing and a single 3/4” random flow generator if I fed it a solid 700+ Gph from the return pump.

I estimate the return head height to be approx 7 feet, factoring for a gentle curve and one 90 degree coupler. I bought the 1900 gph current USA eflux dc return pump, which can output a max gph of about 1,100 - 1200 gph at 7’. I should be able to run the pump around 60% to get the required gph in the tank and I have room to increase/decrease a bit if I need to

I love the minimalist look of the tank and I don’t want any wires or equipment to be in the display. Acording to VCA a properly powered RFG can eliminate the need for powerheads in this tank, which would be awesome

Lighting - I have a spare reefbreeders photon 48 in storage

Heating - 500w Finnex titanium heating tube with external controller

Filtration - IOAOI DC Skimmer 80-100g
Santa Monica Algae Turf Scrubber

Flow - as mentioned above, I will try the RFG approach. Worst case scenario, I have a spare MP40 dry side and controller in perfect shape, and I could always just buy a new wet side. If I did this I still would still be able to avoid wires in the tank

Substrate - I’m thinking to try bare bottom, never did this before but every vendor and dealer frag tank I see is bare bottom. Still undecided in my plans

Cover - I got a rough estimate from TOP Lids, they can make a single panel lid up to 48x48 with whatever form of plastic they use, feeding door, mesh, light mount cutouts, wire notches etc. rough estimate for 48x20 lid is $340. Pricy but it’s a giant lid for a frameless tank with no euro brace, so it’s a challenging item, and they showed me examples of 48” lids they made and wow. They look good

Purpose - not going for natural here. My current reef is running low on space for new corals, some existing colonies are getting large. And then I have small things on racks that will be awesome but need time to grow out. I’m thinking of designing this like a coral vault / grow out tank.

- Big corals from current tank can move in and have space to grow, I’ll frag them and return to the main display and keep a mother colony in this new tank.

- small things in main tank can go in the new tank until they are large enough to have a good visual impact in my main

- things I impulse buy can go in here while I decide which tank they will ultimately live in. I just had to pass on an incredible one of a kind Cynarina because it opened to 7-8” and there currently is no way I could fit it, even with rearranging.

- how would I achieve this? I have no idea. I was thinking custom tiered shelves and racks. Open to suggestions

So that’s as far as I’ve gotten with my equipment, goals, plans etc.

Buyers, What are you going to do?

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think for those that bought this, it was an impulse buy. Does anyone have any actual plans or is this a let’s buy it now and figure it out later situation?

For flow, I showed the system to Vivid Creatic Aquatics to discuss the challenge of a single return on the far side of the tank and to see what solutions they could suggest. They reviewed and inquired about the return tubing diameter, bulkhead size, and lock line and told me confidently they feel this tank can get all necessary flow from 1” return tubing and a single 3/4” random flow generator if I fed it a solid 700+ Gph from the return pump.

I estimate the return head height to be approx 7 feet, factoring for a gentle curve and one 90 degree coupler. I bought the 1900 gph current USA eflux dc return pump, which can output a max gph of about 1,100 - 1200 gph at 7’. I should be able to run the pump around 60% to get the required gph in the tank and I have room to increase/decrease a bit if I need to

I love the minimalist look of the tank and I don’t want any wires or equipment to be in the display. Acording to VCA a properly powered RFG can eliminate the need for powerheads in this tank, which would be awesome

Lighting - I have a spare reefbreeders photon 48 in storage

Heating - 500w Finnex titanium heating tube with external controller

Filtration - IOAOI DC Skimmer 80-100g
Santa Monica Algae Turf Scrubber

Flow - as mentioned above, I will try the RFG approach. Worst case scenario, I have a spare MP40 dry side and controller in perfect shape, and I could always just buy a new wet side. If I did this I still would still be able to avoid wires in the tank

Substrate - I’m thinking to try bare bottom, never did this before but every vendor and dealer frag tank I see is bare bottom. Still undecided in my plans

Cover - I got a rough estimate from TOP Lids, they can make a single panel lid up to 48x48 with whatever form of plastic they use, feeding door, mesh, light mount cutouts, wire notches etc. rough estimate for 48x20 lid is $340. Pricy but it’s a giant lid for a frameless tank with no euro brace, so it’s a challenging item, and they showed me examples of 48” lids they made and wow. They look good

Purpose - not going for natural here. My current reef is running low on space for new corals, some existing colonies are getting large. And then I have small things on racks that will be awesome but need time to grow out. I’m thinking of designing this like a coral vault / grow out tank.

- Big corals from current tank can move in and have space to grow, I’ll frag them and return to the main display and keep a mother colony in this new tank.

- small things in main tank can go in the new tank until they are large enough to have a good visual impact in my main

- things I impulse buy can go in here while I decide which tank they will ultimately live in. I just had to pass on an incredible one of a kind Cynarina because it opened to 7-8” and there currently is no way I could fit it, even with rearranging.

- how would I achieve this? I have no idea. I was thinking custom tiered shelves and racks. Open to suggestions

So that’s as far as I’ve gotten with my equipment, goals, plans etc.

Buyers, What are you going to do?
I’ve been in the market for a new tank so I had to jump on this. Got 3 xr30s and two blade grows as far as lighting goes. As far as filtration I have a reef octopus elite 150sss. Return wise I’m going with the Neptune cor20. Hopefully the klir di-4 fits in the sock compartment. Flow wise I’m gonna be running 3 mp40s. Super excited for this build. I’ll make sure to post pictures once it’s fully done. All I need to do is make a nice scape.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order was picked up today. It’s hard to tell but the shipping label return address confirms these are coming direct from Current USA

Attachments

• 3F5DEBF2-673D-4BD3-AAC0-F2DD7CDE703C.jpeg
    3F5DEBF2-673D-4BD3-AAC0-F2DD7CDE703C.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 923C9CA6-B433-45F0-8A78-843362ED776F.jpeg
    923C9CA6-B433-45F0-8A78-843362ED776F.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 86
  • E680008D-5316-41AB-86B9-2B402C899451.jpeg
    E680008D-5316-41AB-86B9-2B402C899451.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1BE4C04E-2C87-426C-AEC1-04FF9F4E410B.jpeg
    1BE4C04E-2C87-426C-AEC1-04FF9F4E410B.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DFE639C2-12F1-4CEA-A4EF-6B86560582D5.jpeg
    DFE639C2-12F1-4CEA-A4EF-6B86560582D5.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 6DCE45B7-CD5E-4779-9D8F-0CA8F42DC3C0.png
    6DCE45B7-CD5E-4779-9D8F-0CA8F42DC3C0.png
    571.4 KB · Views: 70

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like a decent system

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I'd be really tempted if I could still get the 10% off. Also, if you put it in your cart they say plumbing is an extra $200?

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I'd be really tempted if I could still get the 10% off. Also, if you put it in your cart they say plumbing is an extra $200?
That's new today. The 10% off included plumbing prior. That's an extra $350'ish dollars now. We snooze we lose I guess. I'm definitely a hard "no" now. It says it's in 12 carts but I'm guessing most will delete it now.

Congrats to all the folks who pulled the trigger early. Enjoy your tank.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's new today. The 10% off included plumbing prior. That's an extra $350'ish dollars now. We snooze we lose I guess. I'm definitely a hard "no" now. It says it's in 12 carts but I'm guessing most will delete it now.

Congrats to all the folks who pulled the trigger early. Enjoy your tank.
I found the reason for the price increase, it’s two part

Freight shipping is costing them on average 500$, and orders to Florida or East coast are costing them $600

They ran out of some of the plumbing parts and suddenly they are hard to get and way more expensive compared to the last time they ordered parts.

You can still order the tank without plumbing if you can get pvc and connectors locally for less if you don’t want to buy the optional (now) $200 plumbing kit

Local pickup is available also if you are in the California area and would offer savings

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 0.05% chance that I can convince my family to get another tank... is this able to be shipped to Hawaii or is this another case of "Contiguous US, Hawaii and Alaska you're SoL"

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 0.05% chance that I can convince my family to get another tank... is this able to be shipped to Hawaii or is this another case of "Contiguous US, Hawaii and Alaska you're SoL"
I doubt it, but if you get approval I would suggest reaching out to the seller through Etsy or eBay, to see if a custom shipping quote can be provided

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang 600 in freight to my state. They pretty much sold mine at a loss!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to buy a crowbar lol. I wonder if the crating is screwed shut or if they used a nail gun
Mine came in it's mostly cardboard and plastic wrap but it packaged very well. I still have to wait for my son to get home to bring it inside.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures yet. I didn't get any filter socks but it did come with a return pump!

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures yet. I didn't get any filter socks but it did come with a return pump!
Wow! I doubt that was intentional but super cool. Congrats. Seriously happy for all of you. I should have ordered at the beginning, not going to do it now.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back