Best reef ready tank deal of 2024 - whose looking for a new tank?

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note I found the culprit why my ATO was leaking, the fitting was loose. In case anyone wants to know it's 3/4 inch. Luckily for me my visual caliper were accurate the first time, I hate having to keep trying wrenches for the right one.

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the baffles out of the left side so I can fit a filter roller in it. Just waiting on that and the uv and then I’ll start my scape!

Attachments

• IMG_7073.jpeg
    IMG_7073.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7072.jpeg
    IMG_7072.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does water go from drain pipes direct into the roller? Will you get splashing noise? First baffle is bubble trap / noise reducer. Not sure how your roller gets attached so it might not be needed

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ato I lose the c clip that locks tubing in :( I message seller they sending new fitting for free

Strange the filter sock section has a lid but the ato doesn’t. I will figure something out, piece of polycarbonate with some rails on the bottom should do the job.

Last edited:

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does water go from drain pipes direct into the roller? Will you get splashing noise? First baffle is bubble trap / noise reducer. Not sure how your roller gets attached so it might not be need
Does water go from drain pipes direct into the roller? Will you get splashing noise? First baffle is bubble trap / noise reducer. Not sure how your roller gets attached so it might not be needed
It Will be in plumbed in to the roller so noise shouldn’t be an issue. But I guess we will see. And yea the ato design is weird I was confused as to why it didn’t have a lid either. I plan on plugging the hole and using a tunze osmalator ato anyway. There’s a few things with the whole tank design that I think could have been executed better, but it’s hard to complain with how inexpensive the set up was.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ato I lose the c clip that locks tubing in :( I message seller they sending new fitting for free

Strange the filter sock section has a lid but the ato doesn’t. I will figure something out, piece of polycarbonate with some rails on the bottom should do the job.
My ato came with a lid!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said for what it cost me I'm more than happy for what I received.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
current USA told me the lockline is 3/4
VCA told me to buy this

Apparently you just separate a knuckle of 3/4 lockline and this is designed to snap right on

The rating is 420-500gph but they said to overdrive it with a solid 650-700 or more and it can provide current for the whole tank without additional powerheads
Just saw VCA makes a dual version of this with two random flow generators splitting off of a single 3/4” lock line connection. Am considering that in combo with the eFlux 1900. Could point each RFG in a different direction.

Not planning on adding any power heads until corals go in.

Overkill?

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw VCA makes a dual version of this with two random flow generators splitting off of a single 3/4” lock line connection. Am considering that in combo with the eFlux 1900. Could point each RFG in a different direction.

Overkill?

I directly asked vca about this and they gave me a lot of info and pushed for a single. I will put the reply here but it will take me some time as they embedded images and I can’t just copy and paste everything in one shot

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... if that stand was taller and didn't have that center shelving unit in it, I'd be all over this deal... But if I'm going to buy it and replace the stand and the sump with something else (because I don't like the design), it's going to cost me more than just buying the things I want separately :-/

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... if that stand was taller and didn't have that center shelving unit in it, I'd be all over this deal... But if I'm going to buy it and replace the stand and the sump with something else (because I don't like the design), it's going to cost me more than just buying the things I want separately :-/
The shelving unit is actually a way to disguise two structural load bearing vertical supports near middle of the tank. If they were centered you wouldn’t fit any decent sized sump.

Being a frameless tank you don’t want any flex, and the cabinet maker overdesigned the stand for the weight of the tank.

The company tells me most cabinets this size are lucky to have 3 load bearing supports (including outer L and R walls, and they designed theirs with 4)

CECB41D5-E04F-4EC2-99C6-19682C188BD6.jpeg

I hear ya on height. I always wish cabinets were at least a foot taller

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shelving unit is actually a way to disguise two structural load bearing vertical supports near middle of the tank. If they were centered you wouldn’t fit any decent sized sump.

Being a frameless tank you don’t want any flex, and the cabinet maker overdesigned the stand for the weight of the tank.

The company tells me most cabinets this size are lucky to have 3 load bearing supports (including outer L and R walls, and they designed theirs with 4)

CECB41D5-E04F-4EC2-99C6-19682C188BD6.jpeg
yes, I understand it's supports, but this is why a few companies have switched to aluminum extrusions and in some cases steel instead of particle board/wood. I run sumps with a large refugium section and a skimmer section, so the sump space in that stand is simply not large enough for my purposes. It's also not tall enough (Though I find this is the case with most stands honestly. I want manufacturers to start making 40-45" tall stands as an option, that would make my day)

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I understand it's supports, but this is why a few companies have switched to aluminum extrusions and in some cases steel instead of particle board/wood. I run sumps with a large refugium section and a skimmer section, so the sump space in that stand is simply not large enough for my purposes. It's also not tall enough (Though I find this is the case with most stands honestly. I want manufacturers to start making 40-45" tall stands as an option, that would make my day)

Why run a large fuge when you could run a smaller ats? Ats algae > cheato and macro. It’s like at least 5x more efficient than equal amount of cheato in terms of nutrient export. Possibly even greater.
Meaning in made up numbers 1 cubic foot of turf algae consume the same nutrients as 5 cubic feet of cheato.

You also wouldn’t need a skimmer. But you could always use one if you wanted. It won’t hurt anything. I ditched my skimmer a 14-16 months ago things just got better

I hear ya the stand height. How tall are you? I hate bending over to see stuff at the top of my tank. Or always looking diagonally downwards

Last edited:
OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Overkill?

This is my convo with vca. The pump being discussed is the eflux 1900 just like you are considering

Based on your pump size, I think I have a few options here, but you'll need to do the plumbing correctly to get the most out of it.

To get the most flow in terms of throughput to the return line, you want to make sure you oversize that plumbing. Ideally you want to be at least 1in if not 1 1/4 inches on your return line from the pump. This will reduce friction and increase throughput from your pump.
— confirmed The return line is 1”. The return bulkhead is 1” threaded but can be swapped out for slip. The loc line return nozzle is 3/4” but again can easily be changed.

OK – so for the RFG, you could go with a single 1in, a single 3/4in or a dual 1/2in RFG.

Single 1in RFG
The 1in RFG will create the biggest wave action, especially if you can provide it at least 600 to 700 GPH (or more) – at the outlet. This will be a little on the large side, in term of physical appearance but not too bad, Plus, it could easily be used in place of powerheads.

You would need these two items.

Single 3/4in RFG
A single 3/4in will be similar to the 1in accept a bit smaller in physical size and just a bit more narrow in terms of flow pattern. But at 550 to 650 GPH or more, it can easily displace the need for a power head in this size tank. In this case, all you would need is one of these pre-configured flow kt – it has everything you need.

Dual 1/2in RFG

A dual 1/2in would actually be my least favorite option for this tank. Generally, what you end up with when you have two RFGs coming out of one corner of a tank is a pretty big contraption of Loc-Line and nozzles. It may even be large enough to actually shade corals and just generally get in the way.

If you decide you still want to go that rout however, you want to make sure you can provide the RFGs that with at least 650 to 700 GPH or more.

Ultimate Return Line Upgrade Kit – Dual 1/2 Flex-Series RFG

And if you go with a 1in bulkhead as I suggested above, you’ll need to add this additional Multidapter Fitting. Otherwise, this kit will fit directly to a 3/4in Bulkhead.

give the pipe size and the return pump, i think you could run any of the options I listed.

And, yes, for a softy and LPS tank you absolutely could flow this tank without powerheads using a single over-driven 3/4in or 1in RFG nozzle.

(Showed pics of included lock line return and gave more specs)

Since its coming with this already, I would just start with the single 3/4in RFG, and see how that does for you tank.

To get the most flow, use as few segments of that loc-line as you can. I would Aim it diagonally across the tank - ideally at just above the center of the the opposite corner

That will create movement throughout the tank - assuming you don't have a high rock scape blocking the path

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why run a large fuge shen you could run a smaller ats? Ats algae > cheato and macro. It’s like at least 5x more efficient than equal amount of cheato in terms of nutrient export. Possibly even greater.
Meaning in made up numbers 1 cubic foot of turf algae consume the same nutrients as 5 cubic feet of cheato.

You also wouldn’t need a skimmer. But you could always use one if you wanted. It won’t hurt anything. I ditched my skimmer a 14-16 months ago things just got better

I hear ya the stand height. How tall are you? I hate bending over to see stuff at the top of my tank. Or always looking diagonally downwards
I'm 6'0", not crazy tall, but tall enough where I find most stands to be too short.

As for the ATS/Fuge argument, I don't run a Fuge only for nutrient export. I run a fuge like a 2nd mini aquarium, different species of macroalgae (never chaeto), rocks, sand, lights, etc. It's mainly for growing my own food sources (Pods and Macroalgae) and pH control with nutrient export being a secondary concern (hence the skimmer). While ATS's are exceptional at nutrient export, they offer very little in the way of pH control or fish food farming.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back