Bicolor Parrot fish in 220g?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Lfs recommended a Bicolor Parrot fish. They have one in their main large DT. They carry a juvinal of them about 2" in stock quite frequently. I learned that Parrotfish live very short lives in aquaria vs wilde most often less than 2 years. I decided against a Quoy Parrotfish for this very reason. I looked up the bicolor and was surprised to find that they are one of the few that does in fact survive in aquaria. What has me hesitating is that they grow up to 30" and yet all the sites that cary information on them says they only need a tank 125-150g and that just floors me. I have a FOWLR tank so not worried about corals. In fact was going to start collecting dead coral to grow algae on and then toss into DT for him to eat. I am just worried about that 30" size in a 6" tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quoy's parrotfish just celebrated his 2nd birthday last month. He's probably a good 7-8" in length and quite bulky (not fat, but definitely fit!) He's probably grown 2-2.5" since I got him. It's unlikely a bicolor parrotfish would reach 30" in your tank (probably less than half that in maybe 6-8 years).

Parrotfish (especially quoy's) need lots of coralline algae to forage on, in addition to supplementing with a wide variety of frozen, pellet and seaweed.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really wanted a quoy. One of the best looking fish IMO. Sounds like they don't grow that fast. Been thinking of good ways to get coralline for them in addition to feedings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back