Bio balls in sump.

landon531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are everyone's thoughts on bio balls. The sump I am getting has them but I was also thinking about replacing all or half of them and mixing with live rock rubble. Where could I find out the aggressiveness of certain fish compared to others?

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fish subject just ask which fish you want to put together and well let you know. Tangs believe it or not can be very territorial and aggressive like yellow tangs. Try not to have more than one of the same family. I know you see tanks with like 4 yellow tangs but they are usually large tanks. Todd TJ's reef on R2R is really good with fish questions of that nature. I would ask him. Very knowledgable person.

Bio balls work if you clean them often they collect detrus but I would go with rock rubble or rocks in sump

michaelcurtis777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running both I have a chamber for bio balls and a chamber for live rock, I've been happy up until now with the bio balls but after reading a lot of posts and peoples opinions I am deciding to change my bio balls over to live rock as we'll!

Beginner all advice welcome

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you probably could mix the two but I'm not sure there would be any benefit to doing so.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back