Biota Yellow Tang Color Progression

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This batch arrived Feb 28 2024. They stayed at my LFS for about a month being fed and fattened up a bit while they figured out how to be yellow tangs. I don't have pictures but I would say that the change from them to now is minimal. And now, without further adieu

4/3/2024 - 3 Yellow Tangs
53631006219_08cb6052d1_c.jpg

53630667521_6396127311_c.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This batch arrived Feb 28 2024. They stayed at my LFS for about a month being fed and fattened up a bit while they figured out how to be yellow tangs. I don't have pictures but I would say that the change from them to now is minimal. And now, without further adieu

4/3/2024 - 3 Yellow Tangs
53631006219_08cb6052d1_c.jpg

53630667521_6396127311_c.jpg
Thats really interesting, mine colored up in weeks

Attachments

• IMG_4898.png
    IMG_4898.png
    624.6 KB · Views: 50

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I saw the other thread on yellow tang prices and I’m like that OP - have not looked for yellow tangs in a few years but remember them being 60-70$ at the LFS. Now it’s crazy. If I paid 300$ for those in the pic and they stayed that way I’d be extremely upset. I hope they color up for you.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats really interesting, mine colored up in weeks
How big is yours and how much are you feeding? These are tinnyyyyyy (on purpose) but I'm def interested to see if its food related. They were being fed mysis at my LFS but they've been switched to LRS. Still working on getting them to each algae on a clip

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I saw the other thread on yellow tang prices and I’m like that OP - have not looked for yellow tangs in a few years but remember them being 60-70$ at the LFS. Now it’s crazy. If I paid 300$ for those in the pic and they stayed that way I’d be extremely upset. I hope they color up for you.
They should color up but alternatively a fully white adult tang will certainly pay for a niiiiiice vacation :)

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota Yellow tang grew from 1" and translucent to 2.25" and yellow in the first month. It is close to four inches now six months later. Don't have a photo since I am in the road. My Yellow Tang is also the boss of the tank. When I add new fish I put up a mirror so the Yellow Tang spends all day and night trying to intimidate his reflection.

For most of that time I was mostly fed a mix of TDO and algae pellets on an auto feeder 4x a day and would put in nori when I could. Only recently have I been able to feed frozen (either PE or brine shrimp) once a day with Selcon. If I am home I can do the daily frozen feeding but I go through periods where I am on the road for quite a bit. When I am away I ask my son to put nori on a clip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biota Yellow tang grew from 1" and translucent to 2.25" and yellow in the first month. It is close to four inches now six months later. Don't have a photo since I am in the road.
What do you feed?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is yours and how much are you feeding? These are tinnyyyyyy (on purpose) but I'm def interested to see if it's food related. They were being fed mysis at my LFS but they've been switched to LRS. Still working on getting them to each algae on a clip
Seems very disturbing to have baby yellow tangs grow so little that early in life. I hope the prolonged malnutrition does not affect those yellow tang permanently. I highly recommend Selcon. All the fish I have gotten have fattened up from TDO pellets (4x a day since I have Anthias) plus frozen PE mysis or brine soaked in Selcon (once a day). Recently I got a leopard wrasse which came in very skinny and had a pinched belly. Two months later it is nice and thick.

For pellets I initially did a 50/50 mix of TDO and the algae pellets from Nyos. Since I have mostly meat eater fish now (ie, anthias, wrasses, chromis, clownfish) I have transitioned to 75%-80% TDO. Over time though my Yellow Tang and Whitetail Bristletooth tang stopped eating the pellets. Now the Yellow Tang only eats nori, frozen food, and picks at the rocks. The Bristletooth completely ignores the nori, eats pellets once in a while, eats frozen and picks at the rocks all day and night. My lawnmower Blenny does not eat nori but eats pellets, a little frozen, and picks at the rocks all day. He has a huge round belly and looks obese so is doing well on the eating front.

Oddly, my leopard and flasher wrasse love picking at nori on a clip with my yellow tang. This seems to be good for the wrasse since both have fattened up during the 10 weeks or so I have owned them.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is yours and how much are you feeding? These are tinnyyyyyy (on purpose) but I'm def interested to see if its food related. They were being fed mysis at my LFS but they've been switched to LRS. Still working on getting them to each algae on a clip
He is about 3 or so inches and fat! I feed him a mix of algae cubes, a mix of meaty foods and add vitamins to their food once a week! Mine was that tiny and see through when I got him. Bit more yellow than yours. Last picture to first is when I first got him and him growing up

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2480.jpeg
    IMG_2480.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 37

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have pictures but I would say that the change from them to now is minimal.
Sorry I'm pretty slow but what does this even mean? I have three that arrived 3/26 and they are already coloring up.

EDIT: personally I would not depend on a lfs to fatten up my fish. They are not going to pay attention to and feed them like I could. JMO

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm pretty slow but what does this even mean? I have three that arrived 3/26 and they are already coloring up.

They mean:
“This batch arrived Feb 28 2024. They stayed at my LFS for about a month being fed and fattened up a bit while they figured out how to be yellow tangs. “

So: The fish arrived at the LFS 2/28/24. Op doesn’t have pics but knows their arrival date and viewed them.

After about a month at the LFS The OP bought them. Approx March 28. The pictures posted are from 4/3/24. Op is stating that despite missing pics from 2/28/24, this is how they looked back then and the change from 2/28 to 4/3 is minimal

I believe overall they are looking for suggestions for food to help color them up, and for others experiences

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mean:
“This batch arrived Feb 28 2024. They stayed at my LFS for about a month being fed and fattened up a bit while they figured out how to be yellow tangs. “

So: The fish arrived at the LFS 2/28/24. Op doesn’t have pics but knows their arrival date and viewed them.

After about a month at the LFS The OP bought them. Approx March 28. The pictures posted are from 4/3/24. Op is stating that despite missing pics from 2/28/24, this is how they looked back then and the change from 2/28 to 4/3 is minimal

I believe overall they are looking for suggestions for food to help color them up, and for others experiences
Thanks. I said I was slow ;)
This was March 28th

April 3rd. Videos are crappy but they are already coloring up.

I'm feeding nori, DK1 pellets, frozen mysis and they got an earth worm yesterday. I feed at least 5 or 6 times a day. Pretty much anytime I go to the basement they get food. IMO young fish need multiple feedings of quality food. I don't think young fish will thrive being fed once or twice a day. My adults get fed about the same but I'm an over feeder and love fat fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back