Biscuit Starfish - hands down, my favorite invert!

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is very limited information - on the extremely beautiful and unique, Biscuit Starfish. I checked...but took the plunge anyways.

I have had this handsome fellow...since July 2022. I do nothing special, to feed him. He shares my 190g DT - with a good variety of inverts, but doesn't seem to have an issue finding food. He is constantly on the move.

Biggest question I hear: Are they reef safe?

Tonight I took a pic....of him giving a dieing plate coral, attention. Only other time, I've seen him give a coral a 2nd look - was a small gonipora frag - that again, I'm sure what dieing.

Tank full of healthy (well, I "think" healthy), happy LPS & SPS - starfish shows zero interest in.

So - if you see one, would I recommend one? Hellz yes! Definitely a showpiece invert.

FB_IMG_1673200863966.jpg 20221208_102942.jpg 20230127_193031.jpg

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That invert looks awesome! Where did you get it and how much did you pay for it??
Literally stumbled upon it - randomly. A reef shop in Canada had it....but due to the price tag (I paid $250?) - no takers.

As soon as I saw it, had to have it. They'd had it a few mths...before I got it - so he was use to reef life.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! You should’ve tagged me lol you know I own one too…and was able to find out the little info that’s known on them by speaking with marine biologists and research institutes. For those of you wondering it’s a Goniaster Tessellatus and they are found in the substrate of the Atlantic Ocean from Florida to West Africa but not on coral reefs. Belonging to the order of valvatida they feed on microorganisms in the substrate by pushing their stomachs out also part of many stars who will readily consume bivalves like clams. Due to the depth and locations they inhabit they are not often seen or studied. Coral is not part of their natural diet so if you observe one eating coral it’s starving/desperate for food or not getting the proper nutrition. I feed mine clams, krill soaked in plankton, and occasionally algae pellets. I hope this helps someone looking for one. As for cost I paid $50 USD anything more is marked up significantly. Ask your fish store if they have exporters from West Africa as they are commonly collected over there under the name West African Biscuit Starfish but are not often imported to other places and don’t appear in the hobby often.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Beautiful! What size tank do they need? I'm in Canada as well so feel your pain for the selection and cost of stuff up here. It doesn't matter if it's livestock, hardware, dry goods... It's all expensive!

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! You should’ve tagged me lol you know I own one too…and was able to find out the little info that’s known on them by speaking with marine biologists and research institutes. For those of you wondering it’s a Goniaster Tessellatus and they are found in the substrate of the Atlantic Ocean from Florida to West Africa but not on coral reefs. Belonging to the order of valvatida they feed on microorganisms in the substrate by pushing their stomachs out. Due to the depth and locations they inhabit they are not often seen in the hobby and if they are they are usually from West Africa. Coral is not part of their natural diet so if you observe one eating coral it’s starving/desperate for food or not getting the proper nutrition. I feed mine clams, krill soaked in plankton, and occasionally algae pellets. I hope this helps someone looking for one. Ask your fish store if they have exporters from West Africa as they are commonly collected over there just not often imported to other places.
Ya, I chatted with one person - who said they are super common in Australia too. They are everywhere there

You and I have chatted a few times - I've attempted to feed mine, and he's never had any interest. Just moves on.

I may try some clam - that is if I can keep the fish away from it. How are you feeding clams - that the fish don't steal it??

There seems to be some sort of interest - something of value, on dieing or maybe sick corals. The picture I took was a few hours ago and he's still there. There's something he's getting off it, to keep his attention.

The general consensus in the hobby is: if it's knobby - it's not safe. So - some people do consider these starfish, coral eaters. Why - I made a special point of highlighting the few times, I've legit seems mine show interest.

I feed my tank heavy - I grind up food, before broadcast feeding - so, I'm certain my homemade food is getting into rocks and crevices, that are also contributing to his diet.

I do know, starfish starve easily - since they do need a constant amount of food, which again - has me confident this fellow is absolutely eating and eating often.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Beautiful! What size tank do they need? I'm in Canada as well so feel your pain for the selection and cost of stuff up here. It doesn't matter if it's livestock, hardware, dry goods... It's all expensive!
Not sure on tank size...honestly.

I had a Red Linkia - that I rehomed, when I got this fellow. Wanted to reduce the food competition. I've got him in a 190g tank - and he's my only starfish.

I have a black sea cucumber - that primarily sticks to the sand bed. The starfish is very active.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ya, I chatted with one person - who said they are super common in Australia too. They are everywhere there

You and I have chatted a few times - I've attempted to feed mine, and he's never had any interest. Just moves on.

I may try some clam - that is if I can keep the fish away from it.

There seems to be some sort of interest - something of value, on dieing or maybe sick corals. The picture I took was a few hours ago and he's still there. There's something he's getting off it, to keep his attention.

The general consensus in the hobby is: if it's knobby - it's not safe. So - some people do consider these starfish, coral eaters. Why - I made a special point of highlighting the few times, I've legit seems mine show interest.

I feed my tank heavy - I grind up food, before broadcast feeding - so, I'm certain my homemade food is getting into rocks and crevices, that are also contributing to his diet.

I do know, starfish starve easily - since they do need a constant amount of food, which again - has me confident this fellow is absolutely eating and eating often.
Yes there are different types of biscuit starfish which is not an official name. But I can tell you right now they haven’t been observed by the scientific community in Australia. There are however similar looking species which is not the same species. Those are the Anchitosia queenslandensis and Tosia australis both of which are native to Australia and are the orange and red biscuits more commonly seen. I’d also try and feed him I strongly encounter you to force him to eat as bad as that sounds. I either slide food under him when he’s on the glass or gently place him on top of the food. Occasionally mine will eat what’s in the tank on his own but 99% of the time I’m physically feeding him. Also and this may sound weird can you post a current photo…as in take a photo of the top of him. I want to see what his spikes look like currently. As a common issue that I’ve observed in them is their spikes eroding/rounding and becoming flatter/smaller though I don’t have an answer to why…when they are in the wild their spikes on top are super super pointy and overtime in captivity they erode. This happens to chocolate chip stars as well and there’s no known cause.

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one in a 20 gallon. There’s no minimum as they don’t get very big so it isn’t a matter of size it’s a matter of tank maturity, stability, and food source. Unlike some of the bigger species of stars seen in the hobby.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For reference this is what I mean in regards to the spikes and pointy shape of them in the wild. I have a few theories but don’t and won’t ever get a concrete answer to this. The first theory is there’s different variants/shapes of them in different locations although that doesn’t seem to be the case as most photos of them in the wild they have super pointy spikes. The second theory is because they are found deeper down the pressure of bringing them up changes their shape like blobfish it just doesn’t kill them.
And the third theory of mine is that because the chemistry of our tanks is different from the ocean and because stars constantly pump water through their system this adversely affects them/causes them to erode and/or it’s a defense response that they no longer need in captivity. Also sorry I feel like I’m spamming this post. But they are just so fascinating to me…I love them and want to share my knowledge of them.
9F2D2A2F-CA15-43E1-932F-F1604ABED299.jpeg

Last edited:

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference this is what I mean in regards to the spikes and pointy shape of them in the wild. I have a few theories but don’t and won’t ever get a concrete answer to this. The first theory is there’s different variants/shapes of them in different locations although that doesn’t seem to be the case as most photos of them in the wild they have super pointy spikes. The second theory is because they are found deeper down the pressure of bringing them up changes their shape like blobfish it just doesn’t kill them.
And the third theory of mine is that because the chemistry of our tanks is different from the ocean and because stars constantly pump water through their system this adversely affects them/causes them to erode and/or it’s a predatory response that they no longer need in captivity. Also sorry I feel like I’m spamming this post. But they are just so fascinating to me…I love them and want to share my knowledge of them.
9F2D2A2F-CA15-43E1-932F-F1604ABED299.jpeg
might just be different bloodlines

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
might just be different bloodlines
True. I will note though when I first got mine his spikes were a lot pointer so I do think captivity or diet has something to do with spikes eroding. And I think about how chocolate chip stars can be different shades/colors and other species of stars look slightly different depending on the location they are found.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on tank size...honestly.

I had a Red Linkia - that I rehomed, when I got this fellow. Wanted to reduce the food competition. I've got him in a 190g tank - and he's my only starfish.

I have a black sea cucumber - that primarily sticks to the sand bed. The starfish is very active.
Thank you for this! :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 20 gallon. There’s no minimum as they don’t get very big so it isn’t a matter of size it’s a matter of tank maturity, stability, and food source. Unlike some of the bigger species of stars seen in the hobby.
Thanks for this! What is their average size?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this! What is their average size?
They can get potentially get up to 6 inches or more but most are collected and stay smaller like 3 inches or so. Mine is smaller than the palm of my hand. Meet Cookie!
F47558F3-58D8-4866-8CF5-51BF0D5BBC5F.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get potentially get up to 6 inches or more but most are collected and stay smaller like 3 inches or so. Mine is smaller than the palm of my hand. Meet Cookie!
F47558F3-58D8-4866-8CF5-51BF0D5BBC5F.jpeg
Oh wow! Awesome! I love starfish, serpent stars, etc. Such cool, alien like creatures.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! You should’ve tagged me lol you know I own one too…and was able to find out the little info that’s known on them by speaking with marine biologists and research institutes. For those of you wondering it’s a Goniaster Tessellatus and they are found in the substrate of the Atlantic Ocean from Florida to West Africa but not on coral reefs. Belonging to the order of valvatida they feed on microorganisms in the substrate by pushing their stomachs out also part of many stars who will readily consume bivalves like clams. Due to the depth and locations they inhabit they are not often seen or studied. Coral is not part of their natural diet so if you observe one eating coral it’s starving/desperate for food or not getting the proper nutrition. I feed mine clams, krill soaked in plankton, and occasionally algae pellets. I hope this helps someone looking for one. As for cost I paid $50 USD anything more is marked up significantly. Ask your fish store if they have exporters from West Africa as they are commonly collected over there under the name West African Biscuit Starfish but are not often imported to other places and don’t appear in the hobby often.
Many years ago in my fish only days I had a chocolate chip starfish that I would feed krill on a stick. When the star was on the glass I would put the krill next to and it move onto it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many years ago in my fish only days I had a chocolate chip starfish that I would feed krill on a stick. When the star was on the glass I would put the krill next to and it move onto it.
That’s cute! And stars do have eyes/sensors on the tips of them they use to see.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back