Cincyreefer's 75 Gallon Build. It's Been A Long Time Coming....

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the start of the beginning of my newest likely obsession. This thread will be used to document my journey for personal reference and to ask questions along the way.

I have always wanted a reef tank, but between the expense and being afraid it would be too hard, it got pushed off. Now, after 15 years of keeping freshwater, it is finally time to go for it. I am no stranger to expensive/high risk hobbies (skydiving, speedflying, storm chasing, high power rocketry, and running ultra marathons) and in all of these the basics are the same, extensive research and planning before doing anything are key to success. I have taken a similar approach to reef keeping by spending about the past 1.5 years researching, watching videos, talking to people, saving $, and just trying to figure it out. I'm on a bit of a budget so I can't afford to buy the latest and greatest equipment. On the other hand I don't want to buy junk and pay more in the end. I'm looking for balance by getting quality equipment for the more important pieces, but won't break the bank either. So the list of items I have already bought or plan to get hopefully reflect that.
I wanted a bigger tank due to the stability and ability of what I could keep. After all my 150 gallon fw doesn't seem "that big" anymore, but this hobby can get stupid expensive in a hurry so I need to live within my means. My wife wanted a tank in the bedroom and a standard 29 gallon was about the biggest that would fit in the spot we wanted. That was all set until 3 weeks ago when my wife said she didn't want a tank there anymore. This meant I could do the basement instead. I decided on the 75 gallon. Just big enough to have the ability to keep a better variety of things, but still small enough to afford better equipment and stock it. I absolutely hate corner overflows or I'd probably do a used 90. A new Aqueon 90 would work, but it would eat into my budget more. So unless a well taken care of, used 90 with overflow box comes up, I'm sticking with the 75.
Here is what I currently have:

Aqueon 75 - new
Aqueon 29 - new (This is the sump tank, but considering upgrading to a used 55 if one becomes available)
20gal tank for QT - used
BM Curve 5 - used
(2) OR T247 lights - used
Aqueon Pro 250w heater - new
45lbs dry rock - used
Refractometer - used
Sicce 3.0 - practically new
Stand

Here is what I have planned for the rest of the needed equipment. Since I decided on upgrading to a 75 just 3 weeks ago, I haven't been able to fully narrow down some of the equipment. If anyone has opinions on the items that I'm looking at various brands, let me know!

DIY stand that will be taller and have side doors.

Sump area. This will likely be set up without a refugium first and I'll consider one later:
Baffles for either 29 or 55
Return pump (deciding between Eheim 1262, Sicce 3.0, and Fluval SP)
Plumbing
2nd heater for redundancy
ATO ( still looking into this one. $100 absolute max, prefer less. Might do DIY?)

The tank area:
The tank needs to be drilled first.
Overflow box (deciding between Fiji Cube 800 (might be difficult with rimmed tank), Eshopps Eclipse M, or Marine Depot Elite overflow. Just saw this one. Much cheaper, but don't know anything about it.)
(2) Jebao SOW-8 wavemakers
Return nozzles
80lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink
An extra 20-30lbs dry rock
DIY screen top
Thermometer

Extras:
4 stage RODI with TDS meter
Garbage can/heater/power head for water storage
Salt (not sure which brand yet)
Testing kit. (Likely the Red Sea kit)
Light/Aquaclear filter for QT

I'm pretty sure this is everything, but then again I may have left something out. If so, I'll update. The biggest holdup with this project is funding. I plan to sell my 150 fw setup/livestock within the next month or two. After this happens, I can buy the majority of the remaining equipment, but until then, I won't be doing much. I appreciate any comments or advice along the way so feel free to chime in! Pics to come when there is something interesting to show.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reading, Reef Lover!

I was able to sell some of my 150 gallon freshwater livestock before all of the craziness and was able to buy a couple more items. A lot of people seem to have lost interest lately so it might be a while before I can continue selling stuff which only means this project will be delayed. Still, I'm going through with it, just a bit slower.

Originally I was going to make a stand, however, someone local had a pre-made stand in excellent condition for only $40. It's one of those really short ones, but I plan on adding shoring underneath to raise it up several inches.I will only be able to fit a 29 gallon sump underneath.
I also bought a Sicce 3.0 return pump.

That's all for now...

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s your tank coming along?
This project unfortunately died in the water. My current project can be found here. It'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow.

Back