Blue tang help

Illwelder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue hippo tang is swimming face down not eat hiding or eating also has single black spot on her head

IMG_5979.jpeg IMG_5978.jpeg IMG_5975.jpeg IMG_5976.jpeg IMG_5977.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My blue hippo tang is swimming face down not eat hiding or eating also has single black spot on her head

IMG_5979.jpeg IMG_5978.jpeg IMG_5975.jpeg IMG_5976.jpeg IMG_5977.jpeg
Water seems hazy/cloudy. The bump on head looks to be injury and has this scar. Treatment - it may respond to ruby rally pro within tank but best is seachem Kanaplex in a separate tank.
How isa tank filtered and what is your level for ammonia, ph, nitrate and with swimming down. . . how much flow do you have in the tank?
Can you provide a video under bright white light?

OP
OP
I

Illwelder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water seems hazy/cloudy. The bump on head looks to be injury and has this scar. Treatment - it may respond to ruby rally pro within tank but best is seachem Kanaplex in a separate tank.
How isa tank filtered and what is your level for ammonia, ph, nitrate and with swimming down. . . how much flow do you have in the tank?
Can you provide a video under bright white light?
Ammonia reading 0 ph little low nitrate not showing on the test phosphate is high am dosing tank to get it down now was .54 she been doing it a lot since last night but as soon as I try to take video she isn’t doing it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia reading 0 ph little low nitrate not showing on the test phosphate is high am dosing tank to get it down now was .54 she been doing it a lot since last night but as soon as I try to take video she isn’t doing it
Dosing tank with what?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Phosphate-e from brightwell aquatics. Not really dosing dosed
Phosphate e is lanthanum chloride which can hurt tangs and other fishes. Large water changes quickly but ideally, transfer the tang to a new tank and make sure all the lanthanum is gone from the system before you put him back. I don’t know how well they recover from this.

OP
OP
I

Illwelder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate e is lanthanum chloride which can hurt tangs and other fishes. Large water changes quickly but ideally, transfer the tang to a new tank and make sure all the lanthanum is gone from the system before you put him back. I don’t know how well they recover from this.
I used before month or so ago and she did not react like this my clowns and green chromise are doing great.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used before month or so ago and she did not react like this my clowns and green chromise are doing great.
Yes. It looks like now there’s a problem. This is very typical for tangs. For lanthanum chloride to hurt them. Here is a link:

Lanthanum chloride and tangs

OP
OP
I

Illwelder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you introducing it into the water? Skimmer/ socks?
Through my hang on back filter am new to the hobby. In the process of upgrading to 125 with a sump I live on second floor that biggest I feel comfortable with all that weight

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through my hang on back filter am new to the hobby. In the process of upgrading to 125 with a sump I live on second floor that biggest I feel comfortable with all that weight
Do some searches on how to use lc. You need to keep it contained. It's particularly bad for tangs as @crazyfishmom has said.
I would still provide better pics for professional analysis of fish.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I very highly recommend not adding lanthanum chloride at all to your tank or any tank with tangs for that matter. There are other ways to reduce phosphate that are much much safer.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Phosphate-e from brightwell aquatics. Not really dosing dosed
I would not use this which may have contributed to skin irritation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If used properly, It would seem unlikely lanthanum would cause this problem - since theoretically, there should not be a lot of free lanthanum in the tank. How big is the tang? was it Quarantined? If all the other fish are healthy - this mitigates somewhat against a systemic toxin (like lanthanum). An ICP test would help. There is no issue with doing a large water change either way. (which will also help your PO4 issue. I'm not a big fan of using lanthanum.

Back to your fish swilling head down can suggest a neurologic issue, a swim bladder issue, or some other reason that gas has built up in the fish (sometimes from infection. the area on the tangs head - which if I'm looking at it clearly was white at first then black. This can sometimes suggest healing. As Vetteguy said an antibiotic trial is a potential solution - since sometimes swim bladder issues can be helped if part is an infection. Also feeding less constipating foods. watch your other fish carefully. Hope this helps good luck

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back