Blue Throat Trigger and tank mates

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to look into getting a blue throat trigger and wanted to see if anyone sees issues with what I already have not working.
Current stocking:
Tomini tang
Foxface
3 clownfish
Melonarius Wrasse
Mandarin
4 damsels
Peppermint shrimp
2 sea urchins
X crabs and snails

Also various corals
Hammers
Torches
Frogspawn
Kenyan tree
Green star
Etc.

I read that they may snack on crabs and everything, but what about the urchin or shrimp or anything else.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluethroats can be rough on smaller shrimp. Most will say that they'll leave cleaners and other larger shrimp alone - mine disappeared while I had a bluethroat. I think that more space would be better than less - how big is your tank?

You may also wind up experiencing some friction between your clowns if two of them pair up, and decide they don't need a "third wheel".

~Bruce

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluethroats can be rough on smaller shrimp. Most will say that they'll leave cleaners and other larger shrimp alone - mine disappeared while I had a bluethroat. I think that more space would be better than less - how big is your tank?

You may also wind up experiencing some friction between your clowns if two of them pair up, and decide they don't need a "third wheel".

~Bruce
2 of the clowns I bought as babies together and the third one is a fulling grown skunk that I was given from an established tank. They were iffy in the begainning, but have gotten better. Hope it stays that way.
As for the blue throat, I wanted to a coral banded shrimp or a cleaner shrimp, so I guess that would be a good move. I never see the peppermint come out from the rocks, so maybe it will stay safe there. The store I was going to get it from said if it isn’t a good fit after 24 hours that I can bring it back, but I don’t know if 24 hours will be enough to see any issues.

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
I forgot to mention it is a 120 gallon

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Bruce that blue-throats are safe with urchins, they don't have the same dentition as the urchin eating triggers.

The shrimp are definitely at risk.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue throat has been in my tank for 7.5 months and hasn't been an issue for my skunk cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp. The peppermints hide all day and come out at night, though that is no different than they did before.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue jaws are not interested in urchins. They did however go for my peppermint shrimps. They love getting cleaned by my skunk cleaner shrimp. Mine are scared of my dragonet.... literally. They may occasionally pick up and remove a hermit or snail away from their home but not eat. One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to feed chunky food to keep happy which also means more waste. The most aggression I got was between them (male and the female). I assumed it was a domination thing and they got over it. They are never the instigator. Occasionally my clown my nip at one of them if they get too close to their hosted goniopora. The most they do is turn around and do a "false snap" to tell the clown to chill. Although they do not eat the my corals, they snap (frag) some of my SPS corals.

TXRon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a 4.5 inch blue throat trigger to my display. He didn't bother the three cleaner shrimps I have but he quickly took out all three of my dart fish. At this point i'm considering switching gears on selection of some tank mates to find a few larger fish that won't be intimidated by him. I currently have a melanarus wrasse, three blue chromis, a yellow tang, the shrimps, assorted CUC and the trigger. I'm open to suggestions. The tank is a 60 inch 115 gal.

Back