Brightwell Alkalin-8.3 P Dosing

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have to switch out of dosing two part because my pH has been through the roof lately. I want to switch over to Brightwell Alakalin 8.3 powder, but I’m not sure what concentration to mix it at for my doser.
Anyone dose this for alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unusual for pH to get too high when not dosing hydroxide, so i would double check the pH (how high? pH 8.55 is OK) but I agree with the above that baking soda (in a DIY or any of several commercial two parts) is the way to go.

The Brightwell product is mostly bicarbonate with a small amount of carbonate. It also contains borate which I consider unnecessary (if at low amounts) or undesirable (if at higher amounts).

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unusual for pH to get too high when not dosing hydroxide, so i would double check the pH (how high? pH 8.55 is OK) but I agree with the above that baking soda (in a DIY or any of several commercial two parts) is the way to go.

The Brightwell product is mostly bicarbonate with a small amount of carbonate. It also contains borate which I consider unnecessary (if at low amounts) or undesirable (if at higher amounts).
I maxed out at pH 8.54 the other day. I was running a recirculating CO2 scrubber, and I think the media got very wet. Could that have contributed to the high pH? I've since pulled the recirculating tube off, and I am just running the scrubber with room air.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I maxed out at pH 8.54 the other day. I was running a recirculating CO2 scrubber, and I think the media got very wet. Could that have contributed to the high pH? I've since pulled the recirculating tube off, and I am just running the scrubber with room air.

I'd definitely alter the CO2 scrubber before changing the dosing.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone ever got a formula for the 8.3 powder? I've been dosing the 8.3 in liquid form and has been working great for my system... brs had a sale on the powder form so I got some but am now lost on how to get the same or similar concentration... so as to keep my dosing schedule and amounts similar.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell ALK 8.3

Mix it at 1:10. I gram powder to 10g of RO water. Add water then powder and shake. For Alk preheat the RODI water in the microwave. About 5-6 minutes per liter.

Or

Most people Mix all the Brightwell dry products to weak stock solutions for dosing pumps at 50 gram per 1 Liter RODI water.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brightwell ALK 8.3

Mix it at 1:10. I gram powder to 10g of RO water. Add water then powder and shake. For Alk preheat the RODI water in the microwave. About 5-6 minutes per liter.

Or

Most people Mix all the Brightwell dry products to weak stock solutions for dosing pumps at 50 gram per 1 Liter RODI water.

I'm making solution now. I don't have a way to weigh the powder... but according to their website they say 1/2 tsp is 2 grams. So 25 of the 1/2 spoon measurements should equal to 50g of powder. I'm adding to 1L of rodi.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making solution now. I don't have a way to weigh the powder... but according to their website they say 1/2 tsp is 2 grams. So 25 of the 1/2 spoon measurements should equal to 50g of powder. I'm adding to 1L of rodi.

Links in description:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for bumping an old-ish thread, but how is this calculator used? if i mixed 50g/1L of powder/RO of alk8.3, do i then dose what this calculator suggests? or, is the amount given after calculations what must be mixed then dosed?

It lists both of the commercial forms; liquid and powder forms.

If you make your own solution at some random concentration, you will need to do additional math yourself.

R33f_Hacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever got a formula for the 8.3 powder? I've been dosing the 8.3 in liquid form and has been working great for my system... brs had a sale on the powder form so I got some but am now lost on how to get the same or similar concentration... so as to keep my dosing schedule and amounts similar.
I am starting out using the powder version of Alkalin8.3. I am looking to make my mix the same concentration as their liquid form so I can easily use the online calculators for the liquid version to determine the dosage of my mix. Called Brightwell and they were very helpful!

1 liter of RODI mixed with 129.6 grams of Alkalin8.3 powder will make the same concentration as their bottled version.

HTH

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am starting out using the powder version of Alkalin8.3. I am looking to make my mix the same concentration as their liquid form so I can easily use the online calculators for the liquid version to determine the dosage of my mix. Called Brightwell and they were very helpful!

1 liter of RODI mixed with 129.6 grams of Alkalin8.3 powder will make the same concentration as their bottled version.

HTH
That is super helpful, thank you.

I've since moved to brs 2 part dosing for the bulk of my dosing and AFR for trace elements. But hope this info helps someone :)

sayurasem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HTH
Thank you for this.

1 gallon stock solution = 3.785 liters X 129.6 grams = 490.5 grams / 453.6 = 1.08 lb. powder

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back