AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi fellow Reefers,

After a few years of ups and downs with my tank a recent move couldn't have come at a better time. My tank was overran (again) by some weird turf like algae that wouldn't respond to any treatment I tried. To make matters worse, it was ridiculously good at nutrient export as well out competing my corals. While I have a hypothesis that Caribsea rock may have played a factor in binding nutrients as well I decided to put the tank "behind me" and start fresh. My initial intent was to sell my RSR750 and go a touch larger. With the wait times on new systems I put that idea off and will be setting up my RSR750 again. In the spirit of stating fresh, welcome to my new build thread :)

Currently all my fish are split in some small holding tanks at my parents house which enabled us to remodel our new home. A little bit of a time crunch to get the tank wet and cycling again but working through all the fun stuff now. The first being, the new location of the tank is right along a staircase. Naturally, that means the space under the stairs will become a "fish room"! The plan is to have the sump under the stairs in an attempt to have a mostly "silent" tank. For the sump I ordered a Trigger Systems 44 system with the black Friday offers. It should work great for the space and allow me some more useable sections vs the RS stock layout. The fun part was converting the RS32mm piping to standard pipe

IMG_5698.jpg
IMG_5700.jpg

The rear wall of the fish room backs onto garage where my mixing station will be. I found a 105 gallon norwesco tank from a somewhat local vendor that had fair shipping prices which will contain SW. With so much NSW available I should be able to run ~50 days of automated water changes without making a new batch. The extra volume will come in handy as I got my dad back into the hobby as well so will be providing him with NSW.

Slowly working on the scape as well :) All new rocks in an attempt to keep my kryptonite algae out!
IMG_5699.jpg

REEFTIDE
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
MM pipe should never have been invented, imo. :) Looks good so far!
Ha, you’d think US sold tanks would at least come with standard fittings. One of the biggest opportunities of the RS tanks imo. Standard plumbing and bulkheads would be awesome.

OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Made some good progress over the past week or so;

Sump is all plumbed in with PVC sheet under/behind in an attempt to keep things clean. My Pentair UV is a little large so finding a good space for it was a challenge. The old flow sensor was plumbed inline with my chiller forcing me to buy a new one. Optimistic that my Varios8 will provide enough flow. I even plumbed a bypass incase I had too much flow. We shall see, if not its Royal Exclusive or Abyzz :/.
redo (3).jpg

Decided to mount my RO set up in the garage on PVC as well, rushed through it to get the tank filling. Will need to clean up the lines in the future.

redo (1).jpg

Finally, finished the scape and cemented it together with Marco Mortar. Planned on hiding the mortar with sand/super glue but didn't end up doing it. Hopefully the coralline will cover it soon enough. I did take time to drill the rock for arcylic rods for easy frag mounting. Something I wish I had done on my last build. Hopefully it will make mounting and moving sticks that much easier :) Note, drilling rocks burns through drill bits ha
redo (7).jpg

redo (4).jpg

And most importantly, it's filling! 24 hours in and about 65% of the way there!
redo (2).jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Slow but steady progress...

Tank is filled and remained nice and level which is terrific!

My new house electrical is a little hard to determine what is on which outlet in the great room and the under stairs outlet was in a location that wasn't great. I decided to run two dedicated circuits for the tank. 1 under the tank and the other under the stairs. To allow future expansion I made both 20 amp circuits complete with GFCI. What I figured would be a super easy wire pull was complicated by the stair framing which I didn't account for. My auger bit bounced off and blew through the drywall. Luckily, I was able to just expand the hole and notch the frame to get the wire pulled. Just have to fix some drywall now, oh well.

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5906.jpg

I would have the tank circulating and cycling but decided to pick up a Royal Exclusiv Speedy 100w pump on the black Friday sales from Aquarium Specialty (BRS was sold out). Unfortunately, they don't seem to be the quickest company to ship out and their customer service hasn't even provided an expected ship date so I am in a holding pattern. Really hoping the speedy allows me to max out my turnover through the display. The Varios8 is a solid pump but when pushing through the UV it maxes out around 500 GPH. Would love to be able to hit 1000GPH or more.

In the meantime, planning on adding more PVC sheets to cover the wall behind the sump as well as a small board for mounting the APEX/Royal Exclusiv controllers. Not too sure on wire management though :/

OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Quick update -

Red Dragon pump arrived and installed. It’s definitely impressive quality a little disappointed by the output. Based on flow charts went with the flow model but hindsight I should’ve gone with the pressure model. I get similar flow output as the Varios and expected quite a bit more. Noise is less but there is definitely some vibration/noise. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. For now I have it set at 82w/480 GPH which is 3x turnover. At 99W I max out somewhere in the high 500GPH range… I may have to switch it up and go pressure or larger in the future.

Added salt and got the Vortechs running to get the cycle clock going :)

Attachments

• 8ADB77D0-833E-4D0E-A147-802D146B9061.jpeg
    8ADB77D0-833E-4D0E-A147-802D146B9061.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 487A6AFF-F46F-4EE4-ABE3-615AC38BBD1A.jpeg
    487A6AFF-F46F-4EE4-ABE3-615AC38BBD1A.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 5
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Dumped in a bunch of bacteria to get the party started on Friday 12/10 (Turbo Start + PNS) and Algae Barns Nitro start. Will continue throwing in some food and different bacterial strains in an attempt to create biodiversity. Now the patience game really starts...

Red Dragon pump did gain a few GPH and become incrementally quieter. I am still seriously considering a larger pump for the return either a Speedy 150w or Abyzz A200 but will ride the 3x turnover for now.

Switched out my probes and recalibrated as well as did some cable management, it never ends. Next project on the list is the salt mixing/RO storage.

IMG_6180.jpg

OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Insane UV if that is what the black tube on your November 27 post is.

It is, Pentair 80w HO. Purchased back when I was battling Dinos and fit the 3 gallon/watt recommendation. Little hard to squeeze it in but it works

Lazy's Coral House
TSM Aquatics