Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 81 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 81 30.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 56 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

To many people, starfish are seemingly magical and nearly mythical creatures that spark joy. However, choosing to keep one in your own aquarium is a whole different adventure. Starfish require special care, select tank mates, lower stress environment, and special handling (preferably no handling!) to provide an aquatic home that meet their needs. The uniqueness of a starfish can make them a fascinating and mesmerizing addition to an aquarium. What about you – have you ever kept a large starfish? If so, please let us know details about what kind, your level of success, and any tips that you can share with the R2R community. Of course, we’d love to see pictures of the starfish in your tank! If you haven’t kept a starfish, please let us know why not!

CherryBlossom_Starfish.jpeg

Photo by @CherryBlossom

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have creeps a serpent starfish, he's about 1ft across leg tip to leg tip.

I have 3 brittle stars that are fairly big.

I also have 1 chocolatechip starfish

ReefShaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a red serpent star for several years...just ordered a sand sifting one to add to my new tank...can't wait to get it!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chocolate chip star for a couple of years before corals, and even was fine with corals for about 6 months, but once he discovered the coral buffet (zoa rocks), I had to donate to my LFS.

I tried a fromia Indica once and seemed perfectly healthy for 8 months but I went on a 2.5 week vacation and never saw a trace after that.
*I'll assume the typical starving and melting scenario but seems pretty fast for healthy to gone with never any signs of issues,,, oh well

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, I got it from someone who was shutting down their tank and it dissolved inside of a month, never knew why.
I would directly feed mine every couple days. It usually had an arm sticking out of the rock and I'd put a chunk of something in it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would directly feed mine every couple days. It usually had an arm sticking out of the rock and I'd put a chunk of something in it.
I feed mine when it comes all the way out. I give it a chuck and quickly returns to its home.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a roughly 12” diameter (arm tip to tip) brittle star in my 75 gallon sps tank. It’s at least 6 years old. Not sure on total age as it was huge when I got it. It just hangs out in between the rocks.

ReefShaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red serpent star was added to a 65 gal mixed reef approximately 6 months or so into its life cycle....I am now adding a sand stirring starfish into a newer setup about 4 months old...As far as feeding goes they are scavengers, so they will eat anything left over...flake foods, frozen pretty much anything they find on the sand bed...not hard to keep...just have good water parameters

Tetra1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To many people, starfish are seemingly magical and nearly mythical creatures that spark joy. However, choosing to keep one in your own aquarium is a whole different adventure. Starfish require special care, select tank mates, lower stress environment, and special handling (preferably no handling!) to provide an aquatic home that meet their needs. The uniqueness of a starfish can make them a fascinating and mesmerizing addition to an aquarium. What about you – have you ever kept a large starfish? If so, please let us know details about what kind, your level of success, and any tips that you can share with the R2R community. Of course, we’d love to see pictures of the starfish in your tank! If you haven’t kept a starfish, please let us know why not!

CherryBlossom_Starfish.jpeg

Photo by @CherryBlossom

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
I kept a large green brittle star in my 125 gallon tank FOWLR for so many years. He was awesome and lived under one of my huge pieces of live rock. He would go about his business in my tank and never bothered a soul in it with the exception of a blue chromis that I mysteriously lost. Lol. That being said his tank mates included a yellow tang, fox face rabbit fish, Niger trigger, maroon clownfish, a lawnmower blenny, and a couple chromis, through the years. He was happy in the tank until I was getting ready to move then he died one day. He was in my tank for 8 years. I have no idea how long he had been alive, because I bought the tank with livestock included from someone else. All I know is he was alive for 8 years after I got him. He was a delight to have and so much fun to watch.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back