Cool as can be: Have you ever kept a cucumber in your aquarium?

Have you ever kept a cucumber in your aquarium?

• I currently have a cucumber in my tank.

Votes: 61 19.8%
  • I have kept a cucumber in my tank in the past.

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • I have not kept a cucumber in my tank, but I am open to it.

Votes: 91 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a cucumber in my tank.

Votes: 107 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool as can be: Have you ever kept a cucumber in your aquarium?

Cucumbers are both vulnerable and dangerous to the other creatures in a reef tank. While they have limited external protection, a cucumber’s ability to secrete a toxic solution when stressed can decimate all the living inhabitants in the aquarium. Some cucumbers can sift microorganisms out of the sand and others can filter microorganisms out of the water column. Adding a cucumber to your tank does come with risks, but the reward of keeping a unique, alien-looking creature can be very alluring to some reef keepers. Have you ever kept a cucumber in your aquarium? If so, feel free to share pictures, tips, and any recommendations that you may have with the R2R community!

MatteZ_Cucumber.jpeg

Photo by @MatteZ; Tiger Sea Cucumber

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

Waggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a tiger tail in my tank a couple of years back . Since then it has split multiple times . I gave some to my friends and took half a dozen to lfs . I left one in and that’s split again . I think tiger tails are probably the safest one to keep . I also had a pink one for a year or so and that disappeared over a year ago with no ill effects to tank inhabitants .

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a tiger tail in my tank a couple of years back . Since then it has split multiple times . I gave some to my friends and took half a dozen to lfs . I left one in and that’s split again . I think tiger tails are probably the safest one to keep . I also had a pink one for a year or so and that disappeared over a year ago with no ill effects to tank inhabitants .
I did not know they split, similar to asterina stars?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the reason they can nuke my tank is the reason i hesitate. are there any other, safer alternatives? sea hare?
Most sea hares will slowly starve to death in our tanks, and will foul your tank faster than most cucumbers. TBH, the only cuke I would stay away from for this reason / fear would be the Aussie Sea Apple.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Most sea hares will slowly starve to death in our tanks, and will foul your tank faster than most cucumbers. TBH, the only cuke I would stay away from for this reason / fear would be the Aussie Sea Apple.
and of course the standard carbon is required/advised in the event they do release their toxins?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a few years ago in my 36 gallon. It disappeared after about 4-6 months, and I haven’t seen it since. Nothing happened with the tank or inhabitants. But I may try again if the opportunity presents itself.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a yellow sea cucumber last month, did a lot of research on them nuking tanks, but it seems to be a myth.

Lots of warnings and cautions, but extremely few examples (dare I say none?) of actual nuked tanks.
it seems like the only ones that are capable of crashing tanks are the "burnt sausage" cucumbers and sea apples.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have cucumbers in my aquariums! Echinoderms in general are my favorite group of organisms, I've kept every type over the years and have loved each one. Cucumbers in particular are wonderful; they are like giant caterpillars and all serve a function in my reef. I currently have one pacific black/pink cuke, but I plan to source a Gulf Giant soon.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Accidentally. A couple of tiny filter-feeding ones came in on my live rock, and seem to be okay so far. Pretty little feeding fans on these.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it seems like the only ones that are capable of crashing tanks are the "burnt sausage" cucumbers and sea apples.
I had a burnt sausage go missing and it never caused any issues with my system.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a few years ago in my 36 gallon. It disappeared after about 4-6 months, and I haven’t seen it since. Nothing happened with the tank or inhabitants. But I may try again if the opportunity presents itself.
I’ve had them show up months after last sighting ….when I converted to bare bottom I thought I lost mine. only to discover it several months later alive and well in. my bare bottom…I actual saw it a few months ago IMG_1423.jpeg IMG_1422.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them show up months after last sighting ….when I converted to bare bottom I thought I lost mine. only to discover it several months later alive and well in. my bare bottom…I actual saw it a few months ago IMG_1423.jpeg IMG_1422.jpeg
That’s cool. I’m pretty sure mine is gone. It has been about 3 years. But maybe. :)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cucumber currently and his name is Karl. He is an Atlantic variety that I got from KP Aquatics and he is a wonderful work horse. He constantly consumes sand, digesting the particles that nourish him and pooping out the clean sand, (which sounds contradictory but actually is not). He is my 2nd and neither cucumber has ever been a problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back