Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 37 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 46 17.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 124 47.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Eels aren’t for everyone, but they are truly amazing creatures! Having enough tank space, a secure lid, good water quality, and appropriate hiding places are all important elements to consider when considering adding an eel to your life. Some of the common species of eels for the home aquarium include Snowflake Eels, Zebra Moray Eels, and Ribbon Eels. While it is important to avoid handling these creatures if possible and to pay attention to behavioral changes, an eel’s activity, curiosity and feeding response makes observing and engaging with them a pleasure. Have you ever kept an eel? Is it something on your bucket list? Please tell us about your experience with keeping an eel and feel free to share any tips and recommendations in the related discussion thread!

EpicAquaculture_MorayEel.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake eel and the only way I got it out was to cut a 20oz pop bottle put some food in it and turn the top around so the eel went in and could not get back out

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% a dream fish, just don’t have the salt tank big enough for one.
I’ve kept some eel-like fish (spiny eels, bichirs, blennies if you count them), but nothing like a true eel.
Almost pulled the trigger on a G. Polyuranodon (freshwater moray) at the lfs a couple weeks ago but I don’t think it would play nice with its tankmates.

I’d love to get a snowflake, and one day a tank big enough for a green or a Tess.

Fred A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eels aren’t for everyone, but they are truly amazing creatures! Having enough tank space, a secure lid, good water quality, and appropriate hiding places are all important elements to consider when considering adding an eel to your life. Some of the common species of eels for the home aquarium include Snowflake Eels, Zebra Moray Eels, and Ribbon Eels. While it is important to avoid handling these creatures if possible and to pay attention to behavioral changes, an eel’s activity, curiosity and feeding response makes observing and engaging with them a pleasure. Have you ever kept an eel? Is it something on your bucket list? Please tell us about your experience with keeping an eel and feel free to share any tips and recommendations in the related discussion thread!

EpicAquaculture_MorayEel.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I've had one eel or another for 20 years. Snowflakes, green, zebra, and maybe another. They are great tankmates and are fun to feed. Just make sure you have a tight lid, and make sure they can't go over your overflow box into your sump! My recent snowflake, now way too big, kept going over the overflow box down into the filter box/sump. I had to fish her out 3 or 4 times! Finally figured out how to block her access, and then eventually she got so big she probably couldn't sliver through our front door at this point. Snowflakes grow really fast. Lots of fun!

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a zebra eel a few years ago, their name was pickles on the account that i glued rocks to a 64oz pickle jar I found LOL

And they lived in it for as long as i had em!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back