Reef companions: Do you have fish that interact with your invertebrates?

Do you have fish that interact with your invertebrates?

• I currently have fish and invertebrates that interact.

Votes: 89 58.6%
  • I don’t currently have fish and invertebrates that interact, but I have in the past.

Votes: 27 17.8%
  • I have never noticed any interaction between my fish and invertebrates.

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sometimes it is a symbiotic relationship like a goby and a pistol shrimp where they share their strengths. Other times it may be a cleaner shrimp providing services for the fish in the tank. To me, any times to creatures work together to a common goal it is fascinating. Of course, it may not necessarily be working together but rather it is still some type of action and response (even aggression) that occurs with some level of regularity. Whether it for a combined purpose or engaging with each other, do you have fish that interact with your invertebrates? If so, we’d love to see pictures and to hear more about the relationship!

FishSticks05_FishShrimp.png

Photo by @FishSticks05

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My angel comes to where my fire shrimp hangs out. It likes to be groomed 2 to 3 times a day.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby is the only fish in my tank that allows my two skunk cleaner shrimp to clean him. My tuxedo urchin occasionally acts like an Uber and gives a live snail around the tank until I remove it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sometimes it is a symbiotic relationship like a goby and a pistol shrimp where they share their strengths. Other times it may be a cleaner shrimp providing services for the fish in the tank. To me, any times to creatures work together to a common goal it is fascinating. Of course, it may not necessarily be working together but rather it is still some type of action and response (even aggression) that occurs with some level of regularity. Whether it for a combined purpose or engaging with each other, do you have fish that interact with your invertebrates? If so, we’d love to see pictures and to hear more about the relationship!

Photo by @FishSticks05

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
In my nano I have a pistol shrimp, goby pair.

In my 4’ tank I have a fish who turns over snails to munch them and cleaner shrimp who love cleaning everything!

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clownfish killed my peppermint shrimp, he died randomly but the clowns were just looking at him and biting him I think

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp and goby pair interact, but my royal gramma also will pick up the smaller hermits and take them to the other side of the tank and my emerald crab likes to yeet nassarius snails when they get close

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My lunar wrasse likes picking up my huge emerald crab.. I swear he tries taking him to a rock and cracking him against it

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus loves interacting with anything crablike. Of course, his interactions tend to not be appreciated by the invert. He's just playing with them, honest!

I choose to overlook the crab pieces I sometimes see. Probably just molts. Definitely not evidence of a mid-day snack.

Homestarmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hi Fin Goby and a Randalls Pistol Shrimp that have buddies up under some rock. Hardly see either, other than the occasional shift in the surrounding substrate. Also have a Blood Red Shrimp that desperately wants to clean my Bristletooth who wants nothing to do with the shrimp!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
not a fish, but i have a red porcelain/anemone crab that hosts my CSBTA

previously had a yasha goby paired with a randall's pistol shrimp. but the yasha perished. currently the pistol is alone, but i do plan on getting a randall's goby to hopefully pair it with.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a good picture, but I have a YWG female and a Tiger pistol shrimp, whom I've affectionately named "Bonnie & Clyde", due to their proclivity for stealing anything that isn't glued down! Including living hermit crabs!!! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a good picture, but I have a YWG female and a Tiger pistol shrimp, whom I've affectionately named "Bonnie & Clyde", due to their proclivity for stealing anything that isn't glued down! Including living hermit crabs!!! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
My pistol relocates my macro all the time. Took a mermaid fan and made it a part of his dwelling.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermit crabs crawl down into the cave entrances all the time, then I hear the snaps and cracks of world war reef haha

HaiFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by @FishSticks05

NutramarBanner.png

My goby loves eating my Hermits! Such a cute relationship!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back