Aquatic algae adornments: Have you kept macroalgae that isn’t red or green?

Have you kept macroalgae that isn’t red or green?

• I currently have macroalgae that isn’t red of green.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have kept macroalgae in the past that isn’t red of green.

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • I haven’t kept macroalgae that isn’t red or green but would like to in the future.

Votes: 50 37.6%
  • I have no plans to keep macroalgae that isn’t red or green.

Votes: 49 36.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquatic algae adornments: Have you kept macroalgae that isn’t red or green?

Normally when we think about a macroalgae tank we think about different shades of green and maybe offset by red macroalgae spattered throughout the tank. These macroalgae aquariums can be quite varied in shapes, sizes, and color shades of these typical colors of macroalgae, but there are some additional variations in color such as blues and yellow/gold/orange coloring. Have you kept macroalgae that isn’t red or green? If so, we’d love to hear about it and see pictures. If you haven’t kept macroalgae that isn’t red or green, then please let us know if this is something you would be interested in adding to a current or future macroalgae tank.

ExclusiveCorals_BlueMacro.jpeg

Photo by @Exclusive Corals

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates."

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept blue ochtodes, and sargassum for a short time. In the pic is a different gold macro but i can't remember what its called. I love macroalgaes but have only had long term success with greens and reds, and not all greens and reds, LOL!
IMG_20221027_132944218.jpg

Last edited:

pacificnewt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love macro algae quite a bit. I have had quite a bit of luck with caulerpa over the last couple years. I got a multi pack on eBay last year that had some sort of blue algae, I think it was a blue hypnea clump. Did well in one of my picos for a month or two but fizzled out relatively quickly. I’ve found that caulerpa provides me a pretty good nutrient export option that also provides enrichment for my fish and inverts. I used to do chaeto and I grew it like a weed but it didn’t really enhance my main display. Alternatively, a nice patch of caulerpa Mexicana or prolifera provides a safe area for my smaller fish and inverts to explore, a grazing patch for my sea hare and other herbivores, and adds some nice color. I think everyone should give macro algae’s a shot at least once!

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use blue light - the algae will be blue and if you use yellow light - yellow.. simple!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back