“The Tide Pool” my 1 gallon nano

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a 1 gallon nano tank in a raffle and decided to make it a reef. I’m naming it “The Tide Pool” I’ll post as progress is made.
I already added sand and rubble from my 75 reef.
Thinking of adding some frags from my reef, maybe some inverts like a Pom Pom crab or sexy shrimp, put in some rock flower anemones and anemone crab, and if there are any fish I can add that I find I might add them. And macro algae.
Dimensions are 6in x 6in x 6in

IMG_8796.jpeg IMG_8773.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great little project! :) I will be looking forward to seeing this getting along! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread

I got a light and hang on back filter. I also have pods that I’m going to add later today. I added sand and rock from my 75 and hopefully that helps with the cycle.

My current plan is to do rare, uncommon, unusual or inverts that I think are cool (will post a stocking plan when I decide/research one)

After researching sea horses I think they might be too delicate and I won’t be able to care for them while I am away.

Attachments

• IMG_8892.jpeg
    IMG_8892.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 63

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread

I got a light and hang on back filter. I also have pods that I’m going to add later today. I added sand and rock from my 75 and hopefully that helps with the cycle.

My current plan is to do rare, uncommon, unusual or inverts that I think are cool (will post a stocking plan when I decide/research one)

After researching sea horses I think they might be too delicate and I won’t be able to care for them while I am away.
Light looks great! Curious to see what the stocking list will be!

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my first creature, a micro brittle star I found under my green star polyps. You also added cheato a few days ago (it’s behind the rockwork) hopefully everything does well and I can add a small green star polyp frag.
The water is a bit cold 72-73 f. I don’t think that will be a problem would it?

Attachments

• IMG_8925.jpeg
    IMG_8925.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 61

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok. Star polyps are also resilliant. But not all coral will like that temp. You could always add heater. Ill be getting one here shortly just for winter. Proba ly one for each freshwater tank as well. I keep house at 73 tank stays at 73.8 at lowest so far. Usually runs about 77 to 78 ish.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok. Star polyps are also resilliant. But not all coral will like that temp. You could always add heater. Ill be getting one here shortly just for winter. Proba ly one for each freshwater tank as well. I keep house at 73 tank stays at 73.8 at lowest so far. Usually runs about 77 to 78 ish.
I’ll probably end up getting a heater but for now should be ok with just the one brittle star.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a stocking list, this is my current list…

Invertebrates (that can move):
Pom Pom crab
Micro brittle star/other brittle stars.
Spotted cleaner OR peterson cleaner shrimp OR anemone shrimp
Nano conch
Candy cane pistol shrimp
Small snail

Invertebrates/algae (that can’t move):
Green star polyp
Mushrooms
Rock flower anemones/BTA or other small(ish) anemones
Sponge
Macros (undecided which exact ones)
Feather worm
Gorgonians
Others…

Uncertain:
A 1in fish (or less); may work may not still looking into it. Possibly a flaming prawn goby.
A urchin, I think they are too big I am still looking but very unlikely.
Seastar, unlikely I will find one that is small and easy to keep (beside the brittle stars already added)

*everything is still ideas and subject to change as I research more.
If its overstocked please let me know to edit, I will be doing water changes daily once it finishes cycling.
5-6 inverts, and a few corals, anemones, sponges, macros, and 1 or 2 feathers worm. Maybe a fish 1in or less

Last edited:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 gallon for salt can be a bit much for fish. Cylindar tanks allow for more continual swimming. Gum drop coral croucher if small could be as they perch but not good idea. Especially since venomous and more recomend for keeping fish 1 inch or smaller in squre tanks 2 gallons or less. Another possibly is if you can find the smaller species of pygmy gobies or flaming prawn goby. Best i can think of. You could look at Most inverts on your list will be fine.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 gallon for salt can be a bit much for fish. Cylindar tanks allow for more continual swimming. Gum drop coral croucher if small could be as they perch but not good idea. Especially since venomous and more recomend for keeping fish 1 inch or smaller in squre tanks 2 gallons or less. Another possibly is if you can find the smaller species of pygmy gobies or flaming prawn goby. Best i can think of. You could look at Most inverts on your list will be fine.
ok I’ll definitely look into the Pygmy gobies, thought the yasha was the smallest.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of any shrimp gobies that could be kept in a 6in cube (1gal) if I do get a pistol shrimp I would get the randall’s pistol (which I believe is the smallest species)

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant really recomend a shrimp goby pair, mainly due to most goby sizes not pistol but the closest would be rayfin but it can get 2 inches. You will also want a deeper sandbed mixed with various size pieces. Mainly crushed shell like substrate so shrimp can build and tunnel. They can be messy as well lol.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant really recomend a shrimp goby pair, mainly due to most goby sizes not pistol but the closest would be rayfin but it can get 2 inches. You will also want a deeper sandbed mixed with various size pieces. Mainly crushed shell like substrate so shrimp can build and tunnel. They can be messy as well lol.
Ok thanks, I think I might get the flaming prawn even if it wont pair With the pistol shrimp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d post this I’m starting to get algae. I guess this is good? The tanks moving through the cycle.
It’s hard to see in the photo.
I’m going to have to get a heater since it’s too cold (73f) might try to keep some green star polyp I have a small frag.
Edit: ok I cleaned it.

IMG_8945.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some green star polyp.
I’m getting a lot of algae, should I add a blue leg hermit or other invertebrate for algae control?

Attachments

• IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 53

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back