OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a hermit or 2 depending on size. I have 3 but they are tiny. Never hurts to add cleanup crew
I have most spices in my tank, (Halloween, blue, scarlet, and I don’t remember The name for the other 2 species.)
Can I add the hallaween or stick to the blue leg?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yiu can pick which ever you like. As long as they have room to roam and space. Some do a better job at algae control than others. I believe scarlet, also some call cortez hermits, do the best. Blue leg are standard and do well. All will eat algae its just the rate which the do this and eppetite. I have had blue knuckle, holloween, polka dot and a few others.

Had staghorn hydracoral with hermit. That is a cool looking hermit. I didnt have issues but will need to research how it will be brushing up against other corals.

Hopefully more chime in to give ideas and help with questions.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a blue leg, my Halloween hermit I feel is to big. I might take him out if I find a scarlet in my tank but, for now he’s there

IMG_8948.jpeg

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(“TLDR” update);I took out the blue leg and added my Halloween hermit. Also the blue leg knocked over the green star polyp so I have 1 polyp now rather than a mini frag.

(background/not the “longer” update); after doing a water change on my 75 and cleaning out the sump (where the hermit was) I saw that he might be better in the nano (and he was smaller than I thought than the sump. He’s one of my favorites of the hermits and I can’t keep him in the display because he might eat the conchs.
The coral is doing ok just smaller it’s recovering with my cardinal fry. I’ll add it again once it recovers its growing back the polyps.

In the picture I have the hermit and a corner of the nano
I may to may not add something new soon

Attachments

• IMG_8984.jpeg
    IMG_8984.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a nassarius snail and more green star polyp. Everything seems to be doing ok. I had just added a few pellets so that’s the brown dots. Sorry for the algae I haven’t cleaned it in a while. I’ll do maintenance soon.

Attachments

• IMG_9001.jpeg
    IMG_9001.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since my last update. Lots has changed, the nassarius snail is back in my 75 there is a Kenya tree frag, I have 2 hermits now (Halloween and added a scarlet), I added dragons breath macro algae, and I am just now adding a anemone. (For the anemone I have a different type in mv current tank so they aren’t my first anemone, and I can add water from my 75 as water change as needed.) and I added green star polyps (more) and last a cabbage leather (if I remember the name correctly)
This was all done over the course of the last month I haven’t been updating though.
Everything that has been added is doing well.
I’ll add pictures soon.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the anemone and cabbage, the blue on the light is extremely strong so this is about the best you can get, the anemone hasn’t found a spot it likes just yet but it’s only been a day.

Seems to be doing well but it’s too soon to tell (I say this since it has opened up)
IMG_9332.jpeg IMG_9337.jpeg

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a feather duster worm. I had it in my 75g but it started to close up so it has been transfer to the 1g tank. It may not be permanent but seems to be doing ok. The anemone is ok too and I added more green star polyp.

Attachments

• IMG_9500.jpeg
    IMG_9500.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9469.jpeg
    IMG_9469.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a bit since my last update, I have cleaned the tank and a Kenya tree, the hermit is still there too. The feather dusters lost their crown (I think that’s what they are called) and they have grown back well. I also now have 4 red mangroves growing there too.
Exude the algae on the feather duster. Some algae is starting to grow in the tank, I assume just the uglys and it will be that way for a while.
I will do a few larger water changes if the algae keeps growing.
I’m still not decided on what I’m going to put there I’m thinking a pom pom crab or Peterson shrimp, still undefined if I’m even going to get them.
There are a ton of amphipods In the tank, I added one and now they are everywhere, there are also a micro brittle stars.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a blackout period. Haven’t decided how long I’ll keep it but I’m getting a lot of algae growth. Far more than I would like so I’m resetting the photosynthetic organisms moving coral to main tank.
It’s been a few days since I last checked how it’s going. I’ll post a update when it ends.

Edit: the hermit has been taken out, I got annoyed having to rearrange the feather dusters every other day with the crab knocking them over.
Haven’t decided what I’ll stock with yet. Hoping to do fast growing soft corals maybe a anemone or even some lps or sps in the far future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back