Did I kill my pom pom crab ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pom pom cran online and had it shipping express (24 hrs). I acclimated it for about an hour and dropped it in the tank. I know they are sensitive creatures so I was careful.

BUT… I made a mistake and adjusted my salinity right after. I forgot about the crab and added 3 x 1/2 cup of salt mixed in 1 gallon of rodi, slowly poured into the sump.

My tank is about 140 gallons so that’s about a 2.1% increase in salt (the goal was to raise salinity from 1.025 to about 1.026)

The pom pom crab immediately retreated into a rock and was never seen again (3 weeks ago).

Did I kill it ?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i highly doubt a .001 variance in salinity will effect anything, especially in that much vol. of water, Unless it was sitting under the return getting fed super concentrated salt water.

Neocold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those buggers like to hide. I got 3 last month and put them in my quarantine tank which has a single rock in the middle that has lots of places to hide. I occasionally see one or two but most of the time they hide inside the rock. Chances are the little jerk is hiding.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t they super tiny? They intrigue me but I just assume that I would never see it in my tank.
Yes, they are. I had no idea they were that small or I probably wouldn’t have bought one. Sometimes I don’t mind not seeing my critters, but this one I wanted to observe.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 20g tank. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing it. If it was in my larger system I'm sure I would never see it, Once in a while it decides to just hang out in front.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 of these a long while back, and when they arrived I putt all 4 bags in sump to temp acclimate. After 30 minutes I dropped them into my 150g tank. After a couple minutes of them sitting still they all jumped together and started fighting - it was like a mini hornets nest. Then they disappeared. Could of been 3,4, maybe even 5 months later and then one morning when lights just started to ramp on I saw all 4 together at the top of a rock. I was shocked - thought they were long long dead. Made my day to see em. And that was the only time I witnessed their presence. Been another 2 or 3 months since then. Maybe one morning we'll meet again....

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats sad is i heard once that pom pom is gone, they dont get another, and then they look like an ugly normal crab.
If I’m not mistaken, they can split one if they lose a single.
Also (don’t quote me on this) I think I saw something on here with one using zoas or aiptasia after losing the Pom Pom.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 20g tank. Sometimes I go weeks without seeing it. If it was in my larger system I'm sure I would never see it, Once in a while it decides to just hang out in front.

Too bad I can’t see your video !

If I’m not mistaken, they can split one if they lose a single.
Also (don’t quote me on this) I think I saw something on here with one using zoas or aiptasia after losing the Pom Pom.
We must have seen the same documentary, lol !

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - after just posting how I've only seen my pom poms once - I just walked by and hello. There's one hiding in the corner where all the broken/detached coral blows. I don't see any anenomes on his claws. It's legs blended in with the invasive Kenya tree sprouting up next to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240327_193937421_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240327_193937421_HDR.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 30

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow - after just posting how I've only seen my pom poms once - I just walked by and hello. There's one hiding in the corner where all the broken/detached coral blows. I don't see any anenomes on his claws. It's legs blended in with the invasive Kenya tree sprouting up next to it.
Love it when that happens!
I had one in a 4.8g Deskmate and only saw it very occasionally. Even in a tiny tank like that, they just find a way to hide!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back