[Need help] Losing all my inverts :(

blub_blub

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 6, 2026
Messages
26
Reaction score
23
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 months old (since cycling completed). I added a cleaner shrink 2 weeks ago and he was active for the first 24 hours then slowly declined for the next 48 then passed. I have 3 trochus and 3 nassarius. A few days after the shrimp, I lost my first trochus snail. And today my 2nd seems to be on his way out. 2/3 of the nassarius also seem to be very sluggish today. Hanging out above the sand and one fell off a rock. The Royal gramma and yellow watchman goby are the only two fish and they look happy.

Algae did look low the past 2 or so weeks so I was worried about food for the trochus but algae is pretty strongly back this week - maybe from having less of the trochus eating? But the issues with the nassarius make me think it is something beyond food? Or maybe they also were low on food?

Is the tank too young for the inverts? What can I do to figure out what is going wrong?

Last water change 2 weeks ago, changed about 15%.

Temp 78.3
Salinity 1.026
Ph 8.1
Dkh 6
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5ppm

Could it be the KH?

Thanks in advance!
 
I would start dosing alk because that should be 8 min for inverts.
 
Okay thanks! First time doing that so I’ll start researching. Any recommendations for easy to find and easy to use products are welcome!
 
The shrimp, without further info, I would chalk it up to bad luck or coincidence.

Nassarius snails don't eat algae, they are carnivores, feed them a couple of frozen mysis or something, I think they eat pellets too but I'm not sure.

Personally I'm not a believer that tanks needs a lot of snails, all of my tanks have two or three snails each. But it kind of sounds like you added them a little early, before any micro algae grew. Its impossible to ever know for sure but that would be my guess.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new