BRS-Bulk Reef Supply Eco Dry shelf rock

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Azurel, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Azurel

Azurel Morpharian Maffia Hitman R2R Supporter

Has anybody bought and used this type of rock? How was the quality of the rock if you did buy some? I am thinking about getting some and just looking for some feedback.

2. Mr E Wrasse

Mr E Wrasse Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I just purchased some of their mixed eco rock for $1.87/lb and was blown away! I didn't get any of the shelf rock, but if it's the same quality as the cheaper stuff that I got, it should be awesome. Let me know how the shelf rock is because I'm interested in getting some too!

3. Azurel

That's good to hear....Did you cure it or is it plug and play type of thing? That is one of the things holding me back right now. I need it and need to use it shortly after I get it cause I want to re-aquascape my tank and don't have room or will have the time o let it cure for 3-4 weeks.....

4. Mr E Wrasse

It does need to be cured... but anytime I've had rock shipped I've always had to cure it due to the large amount of die-off that always happens when shipping rock. I would think that the only way to get cured rock would be to buy it from a LFS. But then you'd be looking at at $5-6+ per pound. At least that's the way it is here. I would think that if you cured it in water from your system, you might have it cured in 2 weeks... with help from a nice skimmer.

5. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter

I bought 25 lbs. from them and I was very happy with it.
    I just put it in the sump of my main tank and let it seed with bacteria for about 3 months and used it for the rock in my zoanthid tank.
    No aptasia, no crabs, no majanos,,,, sweet.

6. Demonic

Demonic Love Change

I bought 50lbs of the shelf rock about a year ago and it was fantastic. I also got 50lbs of eco rox. I got a lot of rock for the money. Very light and porous. I wanted to see what the difference was between marco rocks and eco rox too. So I bought 50lbs of the Lace rock from Marc and it was great too. If I did it again though I would order the Eco Rox and shelf rock again.

7. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

I only bought one piece and it's one ugly piece of rock IMO, but was what I expected. Good for encrusting corals and perhaps placing on the sandbed, but I couldn't imagine using much of it for a display.

8. Azurel

What was wrong with it? Was it shelf rock? I don't need that much just enough to finish with what I ready have and my picture I have in my head.....First have to quite buying coral.....ther wise I will never get this done.

9. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

It was a shelf alright, a flat ugly shelf... :tongue: If you want shelf like flat pieces of rock with little to it other than that you'll love it.

10. Demonic

Demonic Love Change

Were you expecting hitchhikers on it? I mean for the price what did you expect? Its a flat piece of rock that is dead.

11. stuckey_t

stuckey_t Well-Known Member

this is what mine looks like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mr E Wrasse

nice, how many pounds/how much did that cost? if you dont mind :)