Bruises on Brittle Starfish

Ltingen75mixed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this brittle star (pictures attached) for 4-5 years, about 2 feet tip to tip. Recently rehomed it to the sump as I suspect it may be catching smaller fish. (Two chromis and neon dottyback, all of which were healthy and in the tank for 12+ months, have disappeared in last six months)

Upon moving to the sump I was able to get a better look at the "bruises" on him. First noticed about 6-7 months ago. I say "bruises" because I have no idea what these actually are.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

20210102_223943.jpg 20210102_223913.jpg 20210102_223955.jpg

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any invertebrates, specifically do you have harlequin shrimp? If you have harlequin shrimp or something that mainly feeds on starfish that might be the reason. Otherwise it is probably a fish.

-Reeferman47

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to feed it I think in the sump. Is it even possible for it to catch a fish? Can it move fast enough or do something else to catch a healthy fish?

OP
OP
L

Ltingen75mixed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to feed it I think in the sump. Is it even possible for it to catch a fish? Can it move fast enough or do something else to catch a healthy fish?
I hand feed it once or twice a week. After reading thru threads on here these guys are apparently notorious for killing fish.

OP
OP
L

Ltingen75mixed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any invertebrates, specifically do you have harlequin shrimp? If you have harlequin shrimp or something that mainly feeds on starfish that might be the reason. Otherwise it is probably a fish.

-Reeferman47
No shrimp. Only other inverts are hermit crabs. Any idea if its a disease or just tissue damage from fighting or squeezing in rocks?

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough cookie, I don't know. Maybe the hermit crabs are picking on him but I doubt that they could do THAT much damage THAT fast. I think that he might just have a tissue disease or he has scraped himself on some rock. Check with the LFS you bought it from. I will be scouring the internet to help you because I would hate to see him die on you.

-Reeferman47

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin shrimp don't eat brittle starfish (at least from what I've heard) and green brittles are fish eaters. My green brittle also lives in my sump :rolleyes:. Do you target feed it? I find that they start to fall apart if not target fed occasionally

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say monitor and see if new wounds appear or if the existing ones start to heal or get bigger. If they start to go away and the existing heal then you are probably in the clear

OP
OP
L

Ltingen75mixed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough cookie, I don't know. Maybe the hermit crabs are picking on him but I doubt that they could do THAT much damage THAT fast. I think that he might just have a tissue disease or he has scraped himself on some rock. Check with the LFS you bought it from. I will be scouring the internet to help you because I would hate to see him die on you.

-Reeferman47
Appreciate it! Store I bought it from is out of business. Haven't seen much on the web but lmk if you find anything.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back