oh boy, 40g breeder build

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

After a break of 2 years I will be able to have a reef tank again! A pic of the empty tank incoming tomorrow, as if anyone doesn't know what a 40 breeder looks like. You can view the plans here.

It will be slow going, and for the first 6-12 months of its life the tank will be sumpless. Eventually going to go with a snergy reef overflow to a 29g sump. Before I build the stand for this tank, I have to finish up the stand for my 55g planted community tank. That is 95% done and really just needs to be painted. Now that I have a job again I can do so!

The current plan is to build the stand, get liverock then get it cycling. Equipment (for now) will be as follows:

Reef Octopus HOB skimmer
175w metal halide
Jabeo PH's
Auto top off
And eventually two DRS dosing pumps for their 2 part solution

The methodology for this tank will be KISS with a Paul B influence. Water changes, live food when possible, strong CUC, and slow going. I am hoping to get rock from tampabaysaltwater, but we will see how that goes. If you're wondering why the metal halide, it is because I already own it!

Pics of what I got so far will be incoming tomorrow. Now to get a spiffy build thread tag :)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40b are one of my favorite smaller tank dimensions.

What are your plans for an overflow? This might be better implemented right away as opposed to later. It's a lot easier to install a overflow in an empty tank

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a lot easier to install and overflow on an empty tank. The overflow will be (unless I change my mind) a snergy reef 16" overflow to a 29g sump. The reason I'm going to set it up without an overflow off the bat is so I can have it running asap. If I waited until I had the greenlight to build a sump and buy the needed things, it would be September before anything goes into the tank. As my fiancee likes to say, "we have a wedding to save for!". So yeah haha.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some equipment pics
MhrS7RD.jpg

kzXrkYp.jpg

pbUtj6B.jpg

4mPeoOL.jpg

xto2r60.jpg

How do I add an build contributor tag? I tried searching for it.

Also, I think I am going to use the unused reflector and socket instead of the one that is currently in the black box. That reflector and socket are from 2008 I am pretty sure.

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a nice start so far. How might you go about adding the overflow later on? When i built my 40 breeder i did the glassholes overflow and wish i had went synergy so i think thats a good choice. Saving for a wedding is a pain when you want to start a reef tank congrats by the way, i kind of did that same thing except we were saving for a baby lol.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to drain the tank down to half or even less, mark the holes, tape up the inside side, use a bottle sprayer with ro/di to keep things cool, and drill the holes out. I'll put something in the tank to catch any glass slivers as well. It will be more complicated but it is what is going to happen.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For heaters, the plan is to use 2x 100w finnex heaters. Starting with one then adding a second for redundancy. I'm more concerned with the tank getting to warm, we shall see once the halide is going. Might have to use a couple of fans across the surface. Will use an inkbird for a safeguard against heater failure.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wondering how I will get the holes guide, I will just try to convince her that I need the overflow when the stand is done, we will see how that goes. At least then I would have the proper holes for when the budget is ready for some more purchases.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snergy was able to send me out a guide, I was worried they wouldn't for whatever reason. Thanks again for the suggestion. Next update will come when the holes are drilled

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the dimensions for the snergy overflow, I should be drilling in 1-3 weeks. The car has some maintenance and more to do so that has to come first sadly. But! Once the tank is drilled the plan is to get some rock cooking! Pics will come in with the next update.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woah did things slow down. I got a 55g planted tank running well in the meanwhile. The plan is to move that to the screened in porch and begin anew on this build. It took slow and methodical convincing to get the fiancee back on the fish train. Many times i was asked "how many tanks do you need" just two of course! Now 3 bc she wants a little turtle.

In the good news department, I have the display, the 40b, the sump, a regular 29g, and an old 55g that I need to break down and cut into baffles. also have the skimmer and the light, just need heater, and pumps really to get things started.

Going to buy as many pounds as I can get approval of liverock from none other than tampa bay saltwater. Going to get at least 10 pounds.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
timeline looking like November for the building to start. The fiancee wants me to build a desk that will fit into the desk room closet for my computer n whatnot. This also opens up a nice space for the reef tank to go. So being the reefer I am! Took this opportunity to build it w/2x2 frame and 1/4" plywood. I got a kreg pocket hole jig to use. I told the missus it was to make the desk very strong and look much better. While I really wanted it to get a practice round in with the kreg jig before I built this tank's stand out of 1x4's and 1/4" plywood (to skin it)!

With that said, the pocket hole looks pretty straightforward, but it anyone has any tips i will be more than glad to hear them!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have discovered a hack that will get this tank going faster!

Keep BRStv on in the background while working on things around the house. Today i have been painting a closet, and then building a desk to fit inside of it. Making a nice bit of space for my 40 breeder :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back