count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well!

Two different glass cutting attempts, two failures. Will go with a shop for $5/cut for the rest of the sump build.

I leveled out the glass on the table where I would be cutting it. I think a problem was getting water to it. I used a water hose with a wand on spray, the saw creates a good amount of wind and was blowing the water away from the blade, so it wasn't getting as wet as I would have liked. It was cutting well for about 2" then I think got too dry and the glass split.

I was wearing nice safety glasses and work gloves, as well as long sleeves so I was well protected. No explosion of shards or anything.

Equipment used
XBMvJwT.jpg

The aftermath
hf5AE61.jpg

You can also see some chipping in the very beginning. When i go for attempt #3, I will need to employ the use of a tile saw. I considered getting a 10" blade for my miter saw, but don't want to mess that saw up as it is much more valuable than my 7" skill circular saw.

I will go with something like this for # 3, but not sure when that will be.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well!

Two different glass cutting attempts, two failures. Will go with a shop for $5/cut for the rest of the sump build.

I leveled out the glass on the table where I would be cutting it. I think a problem was getting water to it. I used a water hose with a wand on spray, the saw creates a good amount of wind and was blowing the water away from the blade, so it wasn't getting as wet as I would have liked. It was cutting well for about 2" then I think got too dry and the glass split.

I was wearing nice safety glasses and work gloves, as well as long sleeves so I was well protected. No explosion of shards or anything.

Equipment used
XBMvJwT.jpg

The aftermath
hf5AE61.jpg

You can also see some chipping in the very beginning. When i go for attempt #3, I will need to employ the use of a tile saw. I considered getting a 10" blade for my miter saw, but don't want to mess that saw up as it is much more valuable than my 7" skill circular saw.

I will go with something like this for # 3, but not sure when that will be.

Sorry to see. :(

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this old beat up 55g and wanted to try my hand at cutting sheets of it down. It was much too thick for the cutting tool wheel thing, and i wasn't steady enough with a circular saw. Def need a table saw for glass sheets I am thinking.

I'll check out the glass at HD/Lowes and see how that compares to getting the rest of the 55g glass cut to size by a glass shop.

Just wanted to try something new! Glass worker I am not haha. Drilling is no problem, cutting, different story!

Will hopefully have the sump complete or at least glass cut in 1-2 weeks. Will update again with some good sump news next!

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this old beat up 55g and wanted to try my hand at cutting sheets of it down. It was much too thick for the cutting tool wheel thing, and i wasn't steady enough with a circular saw. Def need a table saw for glass sheets I am thinking.

I'll check out the glass at HD/Lowes and see how that compares to getting the rest of the 55g glass cut to size by a glass shop.

Just wanted to try something new! Glass worker I am not haha. Drilling is no problem, cutting, different story!

Will hopefully have the sump complete or at least glass cut in 1-2 weeks. Will update again with some good sump news next!
I tried to cut the glass twice before I found out about them cutting it for me... cracked it both times

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no progress (holidays) but goodies have arrived :)

• Jebao 4000 1000 GPH at max output (will use for return, will see how it handles manifold, may need another one for that)
  • IM Aqua Gadget ATO
  • American DJ 8 plug power strip w/individual switches
  • Jebao 4 channel doser
  • Ozone machine
Changed mind on next steps, going to build the stand next, install the overflow, then build the sump to ensure it lines up how I want.

Going to also use some Jebao powerheads, will update a year in to see how the Jebao play worked out

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no progress (holidays) but goodies have arrived :)

• Jebao 4000 1000 GPH at max output (will use for return, will see how it handles manifold, may need another one for that)
  • IM Aqua Gadget ATO
  • American DJ 8 plug power strip w/individual switches
  • Jebao 4 channel doser
  • Ozone machine
Changed mind on next steps, going to build the stand next, install the overflow, then build the sump to ensure it lines up how I want.

Going to also use some Jebao powerheads, will update a year in to see how the Jebao play worked out
I’m thinking about a jaebo pp8 for my 40b let me know how it goes! What kind of overflow are you doing? What kind of overflow are you doing?

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the over flow is in! a door rehab project is all that is standing between me and a stand build. That should be done in 2-3 weeks.

For the sump i decided i would get thin glass from HD and have them cut it, or cut it myself via the scoring snapping method.

Here are some pics of the overflow. It is a fiji cube 1200 GPH 3 hole external overflow and it is SICK. came with all the bulkheads needed (5) and the glass hole bit and the hole drilling template. the template is on some sort of plastic, it is very tough.

The overflow overall has EXCELLENT build quality. Nice think, beveled edges where needed. Very slick. Will leave an official review on their website once I get it up and running.

front
Np6SHZZ.jpg

side
eT5QZui.jpg

KrQCLCs.jpg

lids
M71ia3b.jpg

the drain overflows plus hole saw
xplxd47.jpg

all this for $99, that included shipping as well. AND i would rather have this than a bulkhead less $180 synergy

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be? progress?? yes!! this build is finally cranking up.

I'm building the stand out of 2x2's, 1/2 ply for top and bottom, and 1/4 ply for sides and front. Going to leave the back open.

I have all the 2x2's cut. Will have to nibble off a bit of the interior frame bits. As you will see in the pictures, I have the two long sides put together, i will then connect them with the 16" 2x2's, then put in an interior frame on each corner to beef it up.

Each 2x2 is connected via kreg hole saw and wood glue.

I also have the tank drilled and overflow attached. I took off more trim than needed on the inside, but oh well haha. I had to take a bite out of the trim so the water level would be above the trim, which is a must-have for me. The template Fiji cube provided was excellent. It also had an approximate water line mark on it. Which made it very easy to plan the placement of my overflow.

I got the overflow mounted 1/16" off center, which is just fine for me :D

The two bulkheads that connect the external box to the tank come with 3 gaskets. Now I know why. As you will see in the pictures it goes bulkhead >gasket > exterior box >gasket >glass >gasket>bulkhead nut making a perfect watertight seal once the bulkheads are tight. then the interior box slips into those bulkheads, and the interior box has gaskets built into the pipes that are attached to the interior box. All this makes for a very fast and very leak proof setup.

Also got the back of the tank painted with some gloss black spray paint i had on hand. Did the business nicely.

FTS lol
f0QVSun.jpg

top-down lids on of overflow
eQ5Yp4Q.jpg

close up front view of overflow
NoqFHKO.jpg

top-down lids off of overflow
aikH1ly.jpg

the long sides of the stand
vSAC2p7.jpg

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the framing is done! Next step, sand, paint it with some primer for a bit of water resistance. Put on the plywood top and bottom, paint the bottom with the kilz primer. Then build the electronics cabinet on the right side of it.

After that, time to build the sump!

the front
94XKCfh.jpg

side
7KCc6jy.jpg

best part about the 2x2's is that it is nice and light. I can easily pick up this frame with one hand. its about 30 pounds i would guess.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

You were going to cut glass with a circular saw?

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well well well. My craigslist prowling has resulted in another good deal. great deal i say this time.

i was able to pick up a (used) Aqua RX 200 GPD 6 stage dual tds dual DI desin RO/DI filter for $150! The nice older man also gave me a separate TDS reader and 1000 TDS solution.

he is a buyer and reseller of lots of equipment, he had loads of all sorts of things in his home. I will buy a used skimmer from him in the future i imagine.

Will update with pictures tomorrow. The beast of a unit is nearly 24" long!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the liverock i posted a ways back?

I moved it to a 10g where it is getting its colors back under a 65w PC and penguin emperor filter that provides plenty of flow.

Here they are now.
gsaQZmC.jpg

other one
Dlm7MsI.jpg

I guess the guy really did get them from his uncle who had the rocks for 8+ years in an SPS tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back