OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed! Actually hoping to start stand construction by the end of the month. The desk just needs to be sanded and stained then it will be done.

I really enjoyed using the pocket hole jig. Also was glad to get some practice in before the tank stand. Excited to build the sleekest stand yet for me.

You can see all my schemes in the Google sheet I linked. But the basic plan is

40breeder > bean animal plumbed external overflow > 29g sump.

175w MH to start out. Plan to add two T5s to that eventually and also at that time to use the new reflector and revamp the whole hanging system for the lights.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Desk will be completed this weekend, then garage cleanup is next. To be followed by reef tank building!

Was also able to grab a 550VA battery backup from my office yesterday. Will use that to run powerheads in the event of a power outage. Once I have them, I am going to do some testing and see how long it will last.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions wanted:

Does anyone have experience with the Milwaukee SMS 122 ph monitor? I couldn't find much online vs it coming out in 2013. I found a good deal (i think) for one on craigslist.

Here is a link to the unit (not the one that is for sale) https://www.milwaukeeinst.com/site/component/content/article/139

and i know i would need to replace the probe. I've found them online for $35.

Also found some live rock that looks REALLY good, trying to get in contact with that person has proved difficult.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I did end up picking up that PH monitor. With it i will be tracking PH more precisely and more often (by far) than ever before.

Also, got about 15-20 pounds of some NICE live rock from craigslist. This fellow was given a 400g system from his dad or uncle when they moved to GA. He broke it down as he has never had salt before and is moving in a year. This rock is 5+ years old and quite mature. The following pic sucks but it is a picture!

I'm letting it color up (looks like it was starting to again already. Guy had it in a big trash can with no light but loads of flow, added a cheap LED to the mix and its starting to color up again. I have it sitting under 65w PC right now) for a few days then i will take it out of the bucket and get some better pictures.

The start to a nice tank! I hope!

6fBiWEt.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rock!
That will make life so much better and easier when you get the tank wet.

The controller on amazon is pretty good from what I hear. I have never used one though.

I would personally rather get the Apex EL. Waaaaay more control.
It's more expensive but it does much more and is expandable.

Keep up the good progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get an Apex or GHL, but they are just too expensive. Like some others here, this tank be on a budget. Hence the used PH Monitor. I think that in combination with the other controller and an ATO will give me all the control i need at this point in time. This will still be my most automated tank yet.

Hopefully breaking down an old 55g this weekend to prepare its glass to be used as baffles in the 29g sump/refugium. Will keep this thread posted. Nice to be finally making progress tho!

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress anyone?

Yes, this is what a 55g tank looks like broken down. And holy cow batman, it is tough to get that first piece off! Took me around 3.5 hours total to break it down. AND the top and bottom brace was already removed when I picked up from the curb.

FLgri51.jpg

n10rEbk.jpg

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

The generous @NY_Caveman ROAK came in the mail today. Say hello to a Hanna calcium checker! Was definitely on my buy list so I appreciate this greatly.

Once I am able, I will pay this ROAK forward. Other than that, no new update. Waiting for these BRS black friday sales to pop up before I buy anything else. Want to know what my options are.

Other than that, next steps are to build out the sump. The glass has been cleaned and is ready. Just need to get a cutter.

Here is the checker

VMNmPao.jpg

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-15MM glass cutter and 2 tubes of black silicone on the way! Sump build to begin this weekend! Will update with pics once I have some.

Believe it or not, this tank should be wet and cycling in January. Again, you can see all my ideas and plans and musings for the tank at the following link. Only for sure fishes are mandarin, orange spot prawn goby, and a pair of clowns. going to run a heavy bioload on this tank

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RZwaJs_jzJvWmWqcC_s7yiHOYolcuwSY0qvlA0clAMs/edit?usp=sharing

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dant! I'm actually married now

I did manage to convince her to get me fish equipment for Christmas though :)

Well, mine isn't until April. No such luck on aquarium stuff for Christmas.

OP
OP
count krunk

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for some help.

watched several youtube vids and attempted to cut some glass today with a 5-15MM glass cutting tool.

I made the score and the glass did not seem to be even close to breaking. I put a good bit of pressure on it, tapped on the scoreline, all sorts of things mentioned in the videos. The glass in question is from the side of a 55g aquarium, so not that thick.

Any pointers or links perhaps that could shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back