BTA vs Wavemaker

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ain't pretty, y'all.

My older BTA has never been able to find a spot he's happy in, at least not longer than a few days at a time. (My newest BTA bebopped around the tank for a few hours, found her rock, and has been happy ever since.)

Sagan, though, has always tended to stay in the top back corner of the tank, near the protein skimmer. He'd move around, but primarily in that area. There's a wave maker near there and I'd switch it off whenever it looked like he was moving in that direction. He always ate well, taking fresh shrimp from me 1-2 times a week. My tomato clown loves him.

Then this morning, the clown was in a part of the tank he doesn't normally go to (he stays near his anemones). Sagan had moved along the back wall of the tank, which he'd never done before, and wedged himself behind another wave maker. It did not end well. There were pieces floating around, everyone.

I turned the wave maker off, obvs, and moved it. Sagan's foot was still engaged on the glass. I gently moved him and put him down on the substrate near some rocks. He was moving slightly, but the hermits started picking at him (jerks) so I've pulled him into a container by himself.

It doesn't look like he's expelled anything. His foot is engaged and he's still moving slightly. I offered a piece of shrimp; he contracted around it and seemed to take it.

I'm cleaning my QT tank and setting it up for him to recuperate, but really.... is there any hope here?

IMG_1577.jpg IMG_1578.jpg IMG_1580.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I keep the inverts from picking at him?

You are placing it in an isolation box, which you then can hang inside the tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ain't pretty, y'all.

My older BTA has never been able to find a spot he's happy in, at least not longer than a few days at a time. (My newest BTA bebopped around the tank for a few hours, found her rock, and has been happy ever since.)

Sagan, though, has always tended to stay in the top back corner of the tank, near the protein skimmer. He'd move around, but primarily in that area. There's a wave maker near there and I'd switch it off whenever it looked like he was moving in that direction. He always ate well, taking fresh shrimp from me 1-2 times a week. My tomato clown loves him.

Then this morning, the clown was in a part of the tank he doesn't normally go to (he stays near his anemones). Sagan had moved along the back wall of the tank, which he'd never done before, and wedged himself behind another wave maker. It did not end well. There were pieces floating around, everyone.

I turned the wave maker off, obvs, and moved it. Sagan's foot was still engaged on the glass. I gently moved him and put him down on the substrate near some rocks. He was moving slightly, but the hermits started picking at him (jerks) so I've pulled him into a container by himself.

It doesn't look like he's expelled anything. His foot is engaged and he's still moving slightly. I offered a piece of shrimp; he contracted around it and seemed to take it.

I'm cleaning my QT tank and setting it up for him to recuperate, but really.... is there any hope here?

IMG_1577.jpg IMG_1578.jpg IMG_1580.jpg
Maybe since his foot seems okay! I agree with just putting it in an isolation box in the main tank and leaving him be

TinyReef522

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to be pretty resilient. I think if you put it in an acclimation box like suggested it’ll probably slowly recover.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Healthy BTA often tolerated mishaps like this. Sometime this even resulted in reproduction and you ended up with several smaller anemones

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When his skin fused over and he no longer leaking it OK to release him. Make sure to isolated the problem. BTA does not like a lot of light or current. Good water is a must.

OP
OP
AGWL

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He managed to get out of isolation overnight and is back in his usual corner, on the glass near the filter intake. We'll see how it goes over the next few days. (ignore the spirorbids; they've taken over)

Thank you for all the help, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 31

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have Anamone guards on the wave makers, or are they the gyre type?
I have the gyre type, when I have a nem on the move I try to wrap a coarse sponge around the intake portion. I've found that nems like to either burry their foot deep in live rock or in my clowns egg laying clay pot!!!
Is there anything else that might be either drawing them or forcing them to that area other than flow. like light/no light, food , temperature etc...?
I've had nems come back from much worse...

OP
OP
AGWL

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why he likes that spot. My other BTA is quite happily hanging out on her rock near the bottom of the tank and has never moved more than an inch or two. This guy, however....he's a wanderer.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back