Bubble Algae Issue

Jordan Wright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so i have noticed i am getting a bubble algae outbreak. I was re-arranging my aquascape and figured i mine as well go on a hunt and pick all of it off with tweezers since i took my rocks out, and i heard if you pop it in the water it will cause it to spread even more. It was all gone for a few days and now it is coming back. I have a 32 gallon bio cube so i wouldn’t be able to put a tang in there to eat it. I’ve heard emerald crabs do the job, will they be able to get rid of it permanently or should i try something else?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a couple emerald crabs and just remove what I can by hand. Hasn't been a major issue

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so i have noticed i am getting a bubble algae outbreak. I was re-arranging my aquascape and figured i mine as well go on a hunt and pick all of it off with tweezers since i took my rocks out, and i heard if you pop it in the water it will cause it to spread even more. It was all gone for a few days and now it is coming back. I have a 32 gallon bio cube so i wouldn’t be able to put a tang in there to eat it. I’ve heard emerald crabs do the job, will they be able to get rid of it permanently or should i try something else?
Hi, liquid vibrant does a great job on bubble algae but use with caution and monitor nitrates and phosphates carefully.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant took it out for me and haven't seen any for a few years. I did have a bad outbreak that was overtaking the tank. I did have to deal with cyano after, I can't say that it was caused by the Vibrant.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was a post I made about my own usage back in 2018 -- for reference.

I had bubble algae everywhere in my tank. Emerald crabs, etc didn't help.

Heavy use of vibrant knocked it out permanently.

Although I did apparently have issues with some LPS coral being unhappy.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab will do a quick job. Watch out for the Halloween crab... it eventually will end up with your conch's shell even if it has one of it's own.. I've lost 3 to my now 4 yr old Halloween. Keep thinking it'll be happy with what it has, but after 6 months or so... something different always looks better!

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup..Vibrant did it for me also. Had bubble algea for a few years and tried all the above (including crabs...who eat it but also don't eat it fast enough unless you have an army). Vibrant worked in about 2 or 3 months of dosing and manual removal. I had it bad :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back