bubble algae killing me

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about breaking bubble algae. How do you think emerald crabs eat them? They pop them first! :)

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. I took out the rocks and picked them off though i broke to colonies. Oh well I guess they needed a thanksgiving trim anyway :)

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the only way to completely rid my tank and prevent an outbreak was manual removal immediately after noticing a tiny bubble. I used bone cutters to carefully break off the piece of rock or frag plug the bubble was attached to. This way you don't pop the bubble. Emerald crabs are hit or miss, and I would only use meds/chemical treatment as a last resort.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rocks out and scrubbed them, but eventually upping the refugium light, snails and fish popped them and I popped and scraped them in my tank then used a net to get most out worked and they generally went away. I get them from time to time, but they go away. I have found in 4+ years in reefing (30+ aquariums) that patience and trying one thing at a time works with most issues. I actually brought in bubble algae on purpose because I thought they look nice, but they got out of control.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems with cyano? Once they were gone did you stop dosing?

Yes I did get cyano, but wasn't terrible. I stopped dosing after 3 months (6 doses). Haven't dosed since then, which was several months ago. No more bubble algae, for now.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble algae fights are usually won with improved nutrient control and plenty of emeralds. I never worried much about popping them. Whenever it's been really bad, I've pulled rocks out and scraped then clean in old tank water with a chisel or flat-head screwdriver. Sprinkling peroxide on them is also effective in killing it. My most recent battle was in my 40B, and I put about 10 emeralds in it, I think I have 1 or 2 left. All that said, I started dosing Vibrant for some GHA, and the little bit of bubble algae I had remaining died off after a couple of months. I do have some green slime in one spot now though.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about breaking bubble algae. How do you think emerald crabs eat them? They pop them first! :)

Physiology and reproduction[edit]
The single-cell organism has forms ranging from spherical to ovoid, and the color varies from grass green to dark green, although in water they may appear to be silver, teal, or even blackish.[2] This is determined by the quantity of chloroplasts of the specimen.[5] The surface of the cell shines like glass. The thallus consists of a thin-walled, tough, multinucleate cell with a diameter that ranges typically from 1 to 4 centimetres (0.4 to 1.6 in) although it may achieve a diameter of up to 5.1 centimetres (2.0 in) in rarer cases. The "bubble" alga is attached by rhizoids to the substrate fibers.[2]

Reproduction occurs by segregative cell division, where the multinucleate mother cell makes daughter cells, and individual rhizoids form new bubbles, which become separate from the mother cell.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We it’s been almost 3 months since original post.
Have you any report on your efforts? Did vibrant work? Or did you get crabs? How did it go? Thanks
Tona

I dont understand how any of you are able to pick or scrape off bubble algae, I just end up popping them. I feel like just quitting my battle with them. They do not come off the rocks like everyone says they do, my emerald crabs never touch them though they like to eat my snails. How do you battle bubble algae on rocks that your corals are already encrusted on without killing your corals in the process. Thanks

Mike220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have bubble algae picture please.
Does fox face will eat it ?

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eJHuc7Hl.jpg

That was a small view of the amount of bubble algae in my tank. It is completely gone after using Vibrant -- I bought it Sept 2nd, 2017 and it took about 2 months to fully clear out. I ended up dosing every 3-4 days -- so it was a fairly heavy dose.

The negative impact was that I believe it, in combo with the GFO I was running, stripped nutrients pretty heavily. I saw an impact on some LPS. I lost a goniopora I had going for 3 years, a Favia and an Acan also started losing tissue.

However it completely wiped the bubble algae out -- it has been about 4 months since I used up the bottle and I haven't seen anything return.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back