bubble algae killing me

  • Thread starter Thread starter rich nyc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
That was a small view of the amount of bubble algae in my tank. It is completely gone after using Vibrant -- I bought it Sept 2nd, 2017 and it took about 2 months to fully clear out. I ended up dosing every 3-4 days -- so it was a fairly heavy dose.

The negative impact was that I believe it, in combo with the GFO I was running, stripped nutrients pretty heavily. I saw an impact on some LPS. I lost a goniopora I had going for 3 years, a Favia and an Acan also started losing tissue.

However it completely wiped the bubble algae out -- it has been about 4 months since I used up the bottle and I haven't seen anything return.

Did you just dose in accordance with directions?
 
No - I had to bump it up to a dose every 3-4 days to see an impact.
 
No - I had to bump it up to a dose every 3-4 days to see an impact.

sorry i wasn't clear ... i think directions are 1 ml per 10 g ... is that the amount you dosed each time? i see your frequency was every 3-4 days but did you dose the amount it recommended?
 
I started using Vibrant for my bubble algae and had a bad cyano outbreak that I'm still battling. I stopped using it and started Chemiclean to clear up that mess which still hasn't dispersed yet. I've also heard that you can expect a cyano outbreak from Vibrant, but after a few doses, the Vibrant will eventually kill it off so I started back up yesterday and am already noticing some cyano in spots. Thoughts?
 
sorry i wasn't clear ... i think directions are 1 ml per 10 g ... is that the amount you dosed each time? i see your frequency was every 3-4 days but did you dose the amount it recommended?

Ah - it was a while ago. I believe I was dosing almost a 2x dose. 65g tank and I believe I rounded up to 10ml dose.

I dosed by the book for the first few weeks then gradually increased it. Eventually I started seeing bubbles falling off and others turning white and actually encrusting in coralline =)

As for cyano, I can't speak to that. I major dosed it and didn't see anything.

But my tank was also fairly mature at the point of doing this. I had been unsuccessfully fighting bubble algae and red turf for years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new