How do I get rid of this bubble-like algae?

pober

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bubble-like algae has spread to dozens of spots in my mixed reef tank over the past month. I believe it’s Dictyosphaeria versluysii.

I have SPS, LPS, mushrooms and a clam. I have a blue tuxedo urchin, but I haven’t seen it eat this stuff. I can’t take the rockwork out.

Anyone had luck getting rid of it? What eats it? Would an emerald crab help without bothering the corals or clam? Any treatments that work with the rocks left in the tank?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
reef-rock-01.jpg
reef-rock-02.jpg
reef-rock-03.jpg
reef-rock-04.jpg
 
Yes, Emerald and Pythos crabs will eat bubble algae. Some warn against manually picking the bubble off the rock, but I've done that, and I don't think it caused them to spread and more than they already were.

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new