bubble algae killing me

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand how any of you are able to pick or scrape off bubble algae, I just end up popping them. I feel like just quitting my battle with them. They do not come off the rocks like everyone says they do, my emerald crabs never touch them though they like to eat my snails. How do you battle bubble algae on rocks that your corals are already encrusted on without killing your corals in the process. Thanks

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in my tank and it never really spreads. But my tank is lightly stocked, light feedings, heavy skimming and water changes. If its thriving in your tank im guessing you have a nutrient problem. Do you have any macro algae to compete with it?

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refugium. The chaeto sort of died. I am getting new light I ordered from black friday sale and some chaeto from algae barn

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Bubble algae it really is hard to get rid of. Are Your nutrients high?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a good growth of coralline algae on your rocks, it may help inhibit bubble algae and other nuisance algaes, as well as making them easier to remove when they do get a foothold.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experience bubble algae when nitrates are a bit high. Once nitrates are reasonable the bubble algae are easier to control. I thought it was difficult until I experienced bryopsis.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefer 250 55 gallons. My nutrients were higher before. Was in fallow until yesterday but still had to feed my corals esp my nps.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s small for lipstick tang. In 55 gallon, manual picking would be the easiest. If you are worried about breaking them, you can take it out of the tank, clean it and put it back or siphon at the same as you are picking on them. Might need additional pair of hands.

Sam

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have such a hard time manual picking without breaking them. They make it look so easy on youtube but I think I may just be retarded

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I honestly wouldn't be too worried about breaking them. If they're small, they may not even have spores yet. And if you've got decent water flow, lots of it will be swept into the overflow. Just grab them with a forceps and remove them whenever you see them. Even if they break, remove the actual algae tissue if you can. Between this approach and coralline algae encrusting everywhere, I readily extinguished the valonia that was introduced to my dt on a zoa frag plug.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add another recommendation for Vibrant. Worked great for my bubble algae.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the size of emerald crabs is important to note.... I haven't had bubble algae in several years but when I did larger emeralds were the key for me. The smaller crabs never touched it, but the large ones elimintated all of it in a couple of weeks. The negative to the larger crabs is that they can occasionally be hard on some coral.

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the size of emerald crabs is important to note.... I haven't had bubble algae in several years but when I did larger emeralds were the key for me. The smaller crabs never touched it, but the large ones elimintated all of it in a couple of weeks. The negative to the larger crabs is that they can occasionally be hard on some coral.
How large is large?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back